SB live does not work in windowsXP

tomba

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2004

hi,

I simply cannot get my SB live 5.1 to work with windows xp.
There are however some strange things:
- config panel > sound : "no audio adapter" so I cannot change anything there
- config panel > system > hardware: SB live appears without a problem in the
list of available hardware, "working correctly" and is enabled.
- dxdiag > page music > direct x functions > test with this port: selecting
MS syntesizer fails the test, but there are also "SB live DirectMusic synth"
and SB live Audio, both succeed the test and I hear the sound
- winamp > properties > plugins > direct sound > when I select in that list
SB live winamp works, setting it to "default windows sound" if fails to play
anything.

I have an SBlive on PCI, disabled (in BIOS) AC97 onboard sound on a Asus A8N
nForce4 motherboard. I'm running WinXP SP2

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Boot into Safe Mode, open Device Manager, remove/delete all instances you
find of the SB Live card, reboot and let Windows re-detect.