SB live does not work in windowsXP

hi,

I simply cannot get my SB live 5.1 to work with windows xp.
There are however some strange things:
- config panel > sound : "no audio adapter" so I cannot change anything there
- config panel > system > hardware: SB live appears without a problem in the
list of available hardware, "working correctly" and is enabled.
- dxdiag > page music > direct x functions > test with this port: selecting
MS syntesizer fails the test, but there are also "SB live DirectMusic synth"
and SB live Audio, both succeed the test and I hear the sound
- winamp > properties > plugins > direct sound > when I select in that list
SB live winamp works, setting it to "default windows sound" if fails to play
anything.

I have an SBlive on PCI, disabled (in BIOS) AC97 onboard sound on a Asus A8N
nForce4 motherboard. I'm running WinXP SP2

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
1 answer Last reply
More about live work windowsxp

    Boot into Safe Mode, open Device Manager, remove/delete all instances you
    find of the SB Live card, reboot and let Windows re-detect.

    "Tomba" <Tomba@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > hi,
    >
    > I simply cannot get my SB live 5.1 to work with windows xp.
    > There are however some strange things:
    > - config panel > sound : "no audio adapter" so I cannot change anything
    > there
    > - config panel > system > hardware: SB live appears without a problem in
    > the
    > list of available hardware, "working correctly" and is enabled.
    > - dxdiag > page music > direct x functions > test with this port:
    > selecting
    > MS syntesizer fails the test, but there are also "SB live DirectMusic
    > synth"
    > and SB live Audio, both succeed the test and I hear the sound
    > - winamp > properties > plugins > direct sound > when I select in that
    > list
    > SB live winamp works, setting it to "default windows sound" if fails to
    > play
    > anything.
    >
    > I have an SBlive on PCI, disabled (in BIOS) AC97 onboard sound on a Asus
    > A8N
    > nForce4 motherboard. I'm running WinXP SP2
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    > Thanks

Windows XP