What the fark is with Asteroids.

Mike

Splendid

Why are the prices of UR Asteroids so freaking high?

There were more of them made then most of the other atari xy games combined
( not really, but sorta )
Yet they go over $800 on ebay all the time. It just freakes me out.

So any ideas, I am just curious..

One factor is the vector monitor is more expensive than a raster one. That,
and it's a top tier classic (i.e. one the average person remembers). Having
said that, I have a whole bunch of them for $600 or less in CT!

"Mike" <jnhutch@ev1.net> wrote in message
> Why are the prices of UR Asteroids so freaking high?
>
> There were more of them made then most of the other atari xy games
> combined ( not really, but sorta )
> Yet they go over $800 on ebay all the time. It just freakes me out.
>
> So any ideas, I am just curious..

Desire. Pure and simple, it's a classic, so people want it.

I love the laws of economics.

Charlie

"Mike" <jnhutch@ev1.net> wrote in message
> Why are the prices of UR Asteroids so freaking high?
>
> There were more of them made then most of the other atari xy games
combined
> ( not really, but sorta )
> Yet they go over $800 on ebay all the time. It just freakes me out.
>
> So any ideas, I am just curious..

I've been carefully watching them for a few years. I just enjoy
looking.

Mike, the truth is the prices are all over the place. I've seen
working ones for as low as $150, and as high as $1500.

No other game i've wanted has been so inconsistant.

In almost any area you should have no trouble finding one for about
$500 in very good shape.

I've been able to locate "dozens" of non-working ones for under $200,
often much less than that, even recently. Just not in reachable areas
for me (New England). With this in mind, i'm waiting to see if I can
do better than the non-working one for $300 i've found. The only
thing going for that one is it's very close, but seems like it should
cost less.

I'd like to find a working one in ok but not mint condition for around
say $400. I've passed them up around here for that price before, so
it seems like I should be able to find one for that or less.

Where are you by the way? Assuming your not near me, I'll forward
you some info if I find anything in your area that looks good. I've
been watching them like a hawk. I need to find something better to do
with my time, but hey I enjoy it.

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 22:02:35 GMT, "Mike" <jnhutch@ev1.net> wrote:

>Why are the prices of UR Asteroids so freaking high?
>
>There were more of them made then most of the other atari xy games combined
>( not really, but sorta )
>Yet they go over $800 on ebay all the time. It just freakes me out.
>
>So any ideas, I am just curious..

Another thing,,, A working asteroids PCB goes for about the same price as a
3 board working star wars pcb.. I have given asteroids boards away years
ago, now that I am into collecting again it just boggles my mind.... About
the comment on the vector monitor, well I'll tell you what, you can grab a
space duel that works all day long with a good WG6100 in it for around
$450... So I dont thing the vector monitor thing has much to do with it.
Personally I would rather have an Asteroids Deluxe, I used to have one and
let me tell you, when you get the black light working and the sound turned
up a bit, there is nothing like it... It's just awesome to me.. And they
seem to be half the price. BTW,,, I am in San Antonio TX.. IF anyone has any
vector stuff for sale give me a shout... Looking for all manufactures
stuff,, I have most of atari's color games , I still need a tempest upright,
for a major havoc conversion.. I have lost the idea of finding a dedicated
one. And quantum,, I dont have that one, and if the price was RIGHT i
might buy it.. I just dont find it that fun, I think it would be an
expensive wooden box that never got played. I am going to try and locate
some Sega vector games, tried them out on mame and I like them..... Those
are going to be a bit tough to find,,, buy hey you never know what will turn
up.

John

"Nate Goulet" <askifyouwantaaddress@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've been carefully watching them for a few years. I just enjoy
> looking.
>
> Mike, the truth is the prices are all over the place. I've seen
> working ones for as low as $150, and as high as $1500.
>
> No other game i've wanted has been so inconsistant.
>
> In almost any area you should have no trouble finding one for about
> $500 in very good shape.
>
> I've been able to locate "dozens" of non-working ones for under $200,
> often much less than that, even recently. Just not in reachable areas
> for me (New England). With this in mind, i'm waiting to see if I can
> do better than the non-working one for $300 i've found. The only
> thing going for that one is it's very close, but seems like it should
> cost less.
>
> I'd like to find a working one in ok but not mint condition for around
> say $400. I've passed them up around here for that price before, so
> it seems like I should be able to find one for that or less.
>
> Where are you by the way? Assuming your not near me, I'll forward
> you some info if I find anything in your area that looks good. I've
> been watching them like a hawk. I need to find something better to do
> with my time, but hey I enjoy it.
>

> On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 22:02:35 GMT, "Mike" <jnhutch@ev1.net> wrote:
>
>>Why are the prices of UR Asteroids so freaking high?
>>
>>There were more of them made then most of the other atari xy games
>>combined
>>( not really, but sorta )
>>Yet they go over $800 on ebay all the time. It just freakes me out.
>>
>>So any ideas, I am just curious..

OH,,, Mike = jnhutch, if anyone was wondering,, just different locations,
( work / home )....

See what I do all day at work.

"jnhutch" <jnhutch@ev1.net> wrote in message
> [...]
>> thing going for that one is it's very close, but seems like it should
>> cost less.
>>
>> I'd like to find a working one in ok but not mint condition for around
>> say $400. I've passed them up around here for that price before, so
>> it seems like I should be able to find one for that or less.
>>
>> Where are you by the way? Assuming your not near me, I'll forward
>> you some info if I find anything in your area that looks good. I've
>> been watching them like a hawk. I need to find something better to do
>> with my time, but hey I enjoy it.
>>

>> On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 22:02:35 GMT, "Mike" <jnhutch@ev1.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Why are the prices of UR Asteroids so freaking high?
>>>
>>>There were more of them made then most of the other atari xy games
>>>combined
>>>( not really, but sorta )
>>>Yet they go over $800 on ebay all the time. It just freakes me out.

It's a classic, plain and simple. People who are non collectors own them or
want to.

And no you can't have mine!

Brent

Troy

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2003

I sold mine for $1150.00 super fast. It was mint shape however.
The buyer was more than happy.
It is a fun game to play also. Got to love that deep base sound.

Troy,

Mike <jnhutch@ev1.net> wrote in message
> Why are the prices of UR Asteroids so freaking high?
>
> There were more of them made then most of the other atari xy games
combined
> ( not really, but sorta )
> Yet they go over $800 on ebay all the time. It just freakes me out.
>
> So any ideas, I am just curious..

Asteroids Deluxe has more going for it with tougher gameplay, more
detailed graphics, and a nice half-silvered mirror effect, with all
that said I still prefer Asteroids over Asteroids Deluxe.

1. Nostaligia- I played Asteroids "back in the day" and it was the
second video game I ever played right after Space Invaders.

2. Game pacing- Asteriods Deluxe seems to out-pace it's controls so
eventually (quickly for me) you get killed before you have a chance to
fire, what's the fun in that?

3. (really a subset of #2 above) Asteroids provides a nice long
gaming experience with a gently increasing challenge that's marked by
frenzy then peace. When I'm in the mood for that, Asteroids is what I
plug in and play. If I want to get by butt kicked in under 3 minutes,
I'll go play Defender :)

Mike Doyle

Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

I have a cocktail a cabaret and a full size upright Asteroids in my garage,
Ive always thought the prices to be too low if anything, after all it is a
true classic!
<kilkeeslps@aol.com> wrote in message
> Asteroids Deluxe has more going for it with tougher gameplay, more
> detailed graphics, and a nice half-silvered mirror effect, with all
> that said I still prefer Asteroids over Asteroids Deluxe.
>
> 1. Nostaligia- I played Asteroids "back in the day" and it was the
> second video game I ever played right after Space Invaders.
>
> 2. Game pacing- Asteriods Deluxe seems to out-pace it's controls so
> eventually (quickly for me) you get killed before you have a chance to
> fire, what's the fun in that?
>
> 3. (really a subset of #2 above) Asteroids provides a nice long
> gaming experience with a gently increasing challenge that's marked by
> frenzy then peace. When I'm in the mood for that, Asteroids is what I
> plug in and play. If I want to get by butt kicked in under 3 minutes,
> I'll go play Defender :)
>
> Mike Doyle

I completely agree. I like Deluxe better too, so that was the first
one I bought. I'd also like to have a regular Asteroids, but I don't
like it as much. If anyone buys a Deluxe, make sure you get the
upright. It's cool.