help pls: reset error every synch T5

August 18, 2005 2:14:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

Hi ya:
I have a new T5, very nice. Have added a few very stable apps on it, not
many, and added and tested each one separately. But now, several days after
adding anything, I am getting a fatal reset after EVERY SYNCH.

This is the error message:

datamgr.c, line:8898,
DmWrite:D mWriteCheck
failed
reset

Any clues?
At first I thought it was because I was in the middle of adding an alarm for
a day in 2010... far in the future. Or that I tried to type a / with the
wrong keystrokes. But now it is fatal erroring after every synch. The synch
seems to fully go through, I get a blink of the "wait, cleaning up" message
then the error.

thanks all!

Jam.

More about : pls reset error synch

Anonymous
August 18, 2005 2:22:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

follow-up info:
I do have DateBK5 installed (tho has been fine until now).

"Jam" <timenext@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote in message
news:p aSMe.16635$kz6.889730@news20.bellglobal.com...
[...]

August 18, 2005 12:32:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

In article <mhSMe.16639$kz6.892049@news20.bellglobal.com>,
timenext@REMOVEhotmail.com says...
> follow-up info:
> I do have DateBK5 installed (tho has been fine until now).

That could be your problem. I used to use DateBk5 but found it caused
crashes when sync-ing the T5.

In fact I found quite a few of my old Palm add-ons caused problems for
the T5.

In the end I hard-reset my T5 and started from scratch as uninstalling
didn't seem to fix the problems.

I'd be very cautious in adding in programs which have not been
definitively updated for Palm OS5.

Andrew

--
Email address ROT-13 encoded to reduce unsolicited bulk
and commercial Email

naqerjfgrryr@fcnzpbc.arg
August 18, 2005 12:32:07 PM

Andrew Steele ROT-13 encoded wrote:
> In article <mhSMe.16639$kz6.892049@news20.bellglobal.com>,
> timenext@REMOVEhotmail.com says...
>
>>follow-up info:
>>I do have DateBK5 installed (tho has been fine until now).
>

> That could be your problem. I used to use DateBk5 but found it caused
> crashes when sync-ing the T5.
>
> In fact I found quite a few of my old Palm add-ons caused problems for
> the T5.
>
> In the end I hard-reset my T5 and started from scratch as uninstalling
> didn't seem to fix the problems.
>
> I'd be very cautious in adding in programs which have not been
> definitively updated for Palm OS5.

I have had the most recent Datebook 5 (ver. 5.4a, s1) installed on my T5
from day one, with no problems.

--
Steve Kranz
Homebrewer extraordinaire, banjo player mediocaire

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

This is just a hunch, since I don't have a T5, but there is a program
that comes with DateBk called dbScan. With it you can scan the
Calendar, Tasks, etc. databases. There are also some advanced features
if you pull down the menus.

I have had problems with Datebk giving a Fatal Exception under certain
circumstances. By removing all deleted records (under options in the
above program)the problem has been cleared up.

You may want to look into this. It's worth a shot. It may work.

Andrew Steele ROT-13 encoded wrote:
> In article <QK-dnchUr8Wj65neRVn-pQ@adelphia.com>, smkranz@adelphia.net
> says...
>
> > I have had the most recent Datebook 5 (ver. 5.4a, s1) installed on my T5
> > from day one, with no problems.
>
> I don't, now, remember which version of Datebk5 I had so perhaps there
> have been improvements. Of course, can't say what the OP had installed.
>
> Andrew
>
> --
> Email address ROT-13 encoded to reduce unsolicited bulk
> and commercial Email
>
> naqerjfgrryr@fcnzpbc.arg
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 9:03:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

In article <QK-dnchUr8Wj65neRVn-pQ@adelphia.com>, smkranz@adelphia.net
says...

> I have had the most recent Datebook 5 (ver. 5.4a, s1) installed on my T5
> from day one, with no problems.

I don't, now, remember which version of Datebk5 I had so perhaps there
have been improvements. Of course, can't say what the OP had installed.

Andrew

--
Email address ROT-13 encoded to reduce unsolicited bulk
and commercial Email

naqerjfgrryr@fcnzpbc.arg
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 2:39:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

Just to let everyone know, 1) I did a hard reset, so far so good, but 2) I
did get this info from DateBk5/ Pimlico software, and it seems this may have
been the culprit, though as I replied to them, I DID have the latest Palm
patch and I DID have the latest version of DateBk5 that was supposed to
bypass the issue. But it is the "dbscan" info that might solve it for the
next person.
Thanks all for your ideas.

Here's the info they sent me:

This is the error message:
datamgr.c, line:8898,
DmWrite:D mWriteCheck
failed

This issue is covered in the FAQ's:
http://www.PimlicoSoftware.com/datebk5faq.htm
More details follow below.

Cheers!
CESD, Pimlico Software, Inc.
All these types of DmWrite errors come from the PalmOne DataManager Patch
which always sits underneath any application that accesses the standard PIM
databases on a newer Palmone device. These bugs are known to PalmOne. For
the Tungsten T3, E, Zire-72 and Zire-31, they released a Rom Update to fix
it (31-Aug-2004). This patch fixes MOST but not all of these bugs. However,
it does help, so with one of those devices, you will want to go to PalmOne's
website to download that fixed patch:
http://www.palmone.com/us/support/downloads/pim_update.....

The DM patch on the Tungsten T5, E2, LifeDrive and Treo-650 fixed one of
those problems, but still has other problems that cause it to fail and crash
with the same error, and PalmOne released an update for the T5 and Treo-650
that again fixes most if not all those bugs which you definitely want to
install:

For T5:
http://www.palmone.com/us/support/downloads/tungstent5/...
For Treo-650 - check with PalmOne website or your carrier's website for
latest updates.

There also updates for the LifeDrive as well. It is VERY important that you
these newer devices are not as stable as previous generation Palm OS
devices. Only by installing these latest updates can you be assured of
reliable performance.

For many users, just installing the updates will immediately fix the
problem. But if there is no update available, or you still see the problem
after installing the update, proceed as below to fix the problem.

Fortunately, I know what the bug is in their code: The DM Patch crashes
underneath the third party app if there are any deleted, but not archived,
records in the classic PIM databases. So I added a feature to the dbScan
utility (see note below) to go through all four PIM databases and remove all
deleted records, and then their code does not crash.

I now recommend that all users of newer PalmOne devices which feature these
proprietary PIM Apps and databases use this latest release of Datebk5:

http://www.PimlicoSoftware.com/datebk5-v54a-s5.zip

as this release completely bypasses the Palmone data Manager patch software
for the calendar and memos databases which not only increases stability but
also provides better performance.

This latest release of DateBk5 works around several other serious bugs in
this device (DataManager patch causes autoshutoff to fail in some cases,
items do not synchronize properly to the desktop, screen redraw issues,
etc.). It also supports the portrait and landscape modes of this device.

********* To FIX the DmWrite problem: ************

Take the version of dbScan (V-1.9c or later) that is in the
AdvancedStuff.zip archive and do not invoke the scan, but rather, tap on the
NEITHER button on startup, and then use the item in the Options menu to
REMOVE ALL DELETED RECORDS, and tap the PalmSource button. In almost all
cases this should fix the DmWrite errors and also the related problem
whereby PalmOne's conduit software hangs on one of the PIM databases. If it
still fails, try the procedure again but this time tap the PalmOne button.
If you STILL have a problem, you may need to delete the DatebookDB database
(dbScan has a menu option to delete this file directly) on your handheld and
set the conduit so the desktop overwrites the handheld.

If you use ANY backup program, be aware that none of them were compatible
with the proprietary databases on these devices and specifically cause the
DmWrite Errors that you were seeing when attempting to restore the
databases. Even if the errors do not occur, the clash between the
proprietary and regular databases can result in lost data, etc. So be SURE
to update to the very latest version of any such backup program (Backupman,
BackupBuddy, etc.), and make sure it has an explicit note about being
compatible with the newer PalmOne devices.

Finally, if you were not aware of the rather bizarre architecture of the
newer PalmOne devices, you might find the note at the end here interesting.

Cheers!
CESD, Pimlico Software, Inc.
Many Tungsten users are unaware that these newer PalmOne devices:

Tungsten T3, Tungsten/E, Tungsten T5, Zire-72, Zire-31, Treo-650, LifeDRive,
E2

are different from all other Palm OS devices in that they have new and
proprietary PIM applications and databases along with a rather extraordinary
set of patches to the standard Palm OS (the "DataManager patch") which
attempts to solve the incompatibility problem (otherwise thousands of add-on
applications would completely fail as the proprietary databases have a
completely different format from the standard PIM databases). Their patch
intercepts all accesses to the standard PIM databases, reroutes the request
to their proprietary database, extracts the record, reformats it to look
like the standard PIM database and then returns it as if the standard PIM
database were there (which it isn't - only a skeleton of the database is
present).

It's pretty amazing that this patch works as well as it does, but it still
has several flaws. Fortunately, almost of these flaws are now sidestepped in
the very latest V-5.4a release of DateBk5. The most important remaining
issue is the performance of the DM Patch on NVFS devices which is
unacceptably slow and unstable. PalmOne appears to have no intention of ever
fixing this problem - their solution is to have thousands of developers
provide substantial upgrades to their programs to read and write PalmOne's
proprietary databases - for many developers a huge burden. However, DateBk5
IS being updated to R/W the PalmOne databases. With the new S4 release:
http://www.PimlicoSoftware.com/datebk5-v54a-s4.zip, DateBk5 now uses the
proprietary contacts database if present - the one remaining performance
issue when opening the contacts database in split-screen. A later update
will pick up the proprietary Tasks database instead of the mirrored ToDo
Database which is presently being used.

It is important though that you install the latest versions of the Palm
Desktop and conduits as the versions that shipped with all earlier PalmOne
devices (Tungsten T3, E etc.) were buggy (tasks would not get synchronized
properly). Also there is a set of fixes for the many bugs in the DataManager
patch on earlier PalmOne devices (T3-TE, Zire-72) which are essential for
any kind of reliable operation with third party apps. You can download those
from:
http://www.palmone.com/us/support/downloads/pim_update....
!