M8s ATi Card Going funny

marshahu

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
Hi there thanks for your help so far, if you see my posts in the various forums (look three pages back) please answer them, I really need the help. I am writing this on behalf of my lazy friend who can't be bothered to sign up to this forum.

My mate has just got himself a new Time PC (3200+ A64, 512MB DDR333, 160GB Hard Drive, DVD Recorder and 16x DVD ROM, Windows XP Home, 256MB ATi All in wonder Graphics, Realtek Audio) and he has encountered a problem with his TV function on the all in wonder card. There is no sound!!!!

It says that there is stereo or mono broadcast but the speakers are silent! I have looked in the Volume Control to see if there was an option for TV Tuner Audio and to see whether the berks at Time had muted it!! No such option. Even in Recording options, there is nothing to do with TV Tuner and there are no Other Volume Controls. The online manual suggests to check whether the audio cable has been plugged into the sound card correctly. There is no audio cable included with the all in wonder pro and there is no audio output on the back of the graphics card. The only connectors on the back of the card are:

- 1 DVI (a VGA adapter goes into here or you can use a DVI monitor if you have the cash)
- 1 R/F Aerial input
- 1 S-Video Input (coloured purple)
- 1 S-Video Output (coloured black)

How do I get audio in ATi's all in wonder 9800 TV tuner card? BTW this PC is built in England and the TV Tuner is PAL (UK).

This is a very minor issue but has anyone else with an ATi All in wonder 9800 256MB card found that games are pretty jerky or slow when the TV picture is open?

Thank you guys for all your help. You've been great!

PC Spec: AMD Athlon XP 2000+ running at 1.25ghz, ECS K7S5A Motherboard, 768MB SDRAM PC133, Sparkle nVidia Riva TNT2 M64 32MB AGP Graphics Card, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 6.1, Windows Me

splenda20

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
Are you sure it's an All in Wonder? Maybe it's different in the U.K, but all AIW cards in North America have an audio out port. You said that the card has S-Video in? Are you sure it has a TV tuner then? Are you hooking up a TV cable that carries the original TV signal (i could be wrong but I think they're called co-axial cables) or is it a s-vid cable coming from a separate TV Tuner (cable box). If it is coming from a cable box, then you need to get an audio cable to go from the box and into your sound card.
But again, if it is a AIW, then there must be audio out port and then you would run a cable from there, into your sound card.

cleeve

Illustrious
If it's a true all-in-wonder, those things that look like S-video inputs are NOT.

The purple one attaches to a proprietary in/out box that is supposed to come with the all-in-wonder.
The black one is supposed to be attached to a proprietary breakout cable that has audio and video outputs of different kinds, ONE OF WHICH IS SUPPOSED TO ATTACH TO THE SOUND CARD.

I'm looking for a link to show you, hang on...

Vimp

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2003
What company makes an AIW card that has 256mb of ram? I've never seen such a thing.

<font color=blue>_____________________________________</font color=blue>
Vancouver, Canada
Asus A7N8X-X, Athelon XP 2500+ Barton,
Samsung 1024mb DDR400, Creative Geforce2 GTS,
SoundBlaster Live! Value.

marshahu

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
Are you telling me that my m8s card has not got an S-Video output at all - I thought the black S-Video socket is to feed signals to a TV set. So the purple S-Video socket is to go into a separate box that contains the audio output socket to connect to the sound cards Line in socket. I was also a bit miffed when the diagrams of the ATi cards in the online manual suggested that the audio socket was to externally plug into the sound cards line in socket. I was going to open up his PC to see if the ATi connects to the PCs sound card internally.

Bear in mind that this ATi All in Wonder card was bundled with my m8s system when he bought it so its possible that it is an OEM product. When he first got the PC the shop didn't even supply a DVI adaptor, even though his monitor was VGA and they didnt bother sending the remote. He has those two items now but are you guys telling me that the purple socket is for ANOTHER important part which has not been included?

Thanks for your help so far!

PC Spec: AMD Athlon XP 2000+ running at 1.25ghz, ECS K7S5A Motherboard, 768MB SDRAM PC133, Sparkle nVidia Riva TNT2 M64 32MB AGP Graphics Card, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 6.1, Windows Me

cleeve

Illustrious
Well, I can't say for sure, but that's how it works on an AIW 7500 here at work.

Here are pics of the connectors in a review on ol' Tom's:

<A HREF="http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20020122/radeon7500-02.html" target="_new">http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20020122/radeon7500-02.html</A>