Clipboard doesn't work properly

April 11, 2005 1:47:02 PM

When copying text from one place to another, e.g., from a website or an
e-mail to Word, the clipboard only works properly if the paste is done
immediately. If the "copied from" window is closed, the text is lost, but the
text is also lost if more than a few seconds elapse between the CTRL-C and
the CTRL-V. The clipboard does, however, seem to perform correctly when
copying and pasting between two Word documents. We tried putting a shortcut
to clipbrd.exe into the Startup menu, but it had no effect on the problem.
April 11, 2005 10:52:55 PM

If Word came installed as part of Works Suite then the Microsoft Works
Suite Add-in for Word (COM Add-in) is known to clear the contents of the
Windows Clipboard when Word starts.

Start Word first, then copy and paste.

Or follow the procedures here to remove the Works Suite add-in

WD The Windows Clipboard Content is Modified When Word Starts
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555173

This applies to Word 97, Word 2000, Word 2002 and Word 2003.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:2579299F-4F32-483F-B4ED-61E9257FFEEE@microsoft.com,
KatLA <KatLA@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> When copying text from one place to another, e.g., from a website or an
> e-mail to Word, the clipboard only works properly if the paste is done
> immediately. If the "copied from" window is closed, the text is lost, but
> the text is also lost if more than a few seconds elapse between the
> CTRL-C and the CTRL-V. The clipboard does, however, seem to perform
> correctly when copying and pasting between two Word documents. We tried
> putting a shortcut to clipbrd.exe into the Startup menu, but it had no
> effect on the problem. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
April 12, 2005 1:24:02 AM

Wes,
Thank you for your reply. Yes, Word is part of Works here, but the problem
occurs whether Word is used or not. For example, the same thing happens when
one tries to copy text from the Internet into an e-mail (Outlook Express).

Is this plug-in you mention used for anything else? What effect would
removing it have on the system?

Thanks again for your help.
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 10:03:19 PM

KatLA,

It is recommended you uninstall the Works Suite add-in if you are not using
its functionality such as:
• Works Task Launcher
• Works Mail Merge functionality, (i.e. if you are using the Works Address
book)
• Word to Works converter

My version of Word (2002) was installed as part of Works Suite. I use none
of the items mentioned above. I removed the Works Suite add-in and have no
problems.

For the longest time I just thought that was the way Word 2002's clipboard
worked. I was glad to get rid of the add-in.

As an added note, I have noticed that occasionally if I copy single line
text and accidentally get part of another line that contains nothing, this
has the same effect as the clipboard being empty. Long sentence, huh? ;-)
This is operator error and I have been watching that and have had fewer
problems in that regard. Could you be doing something like that?

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User