Nvidia GeForce3 Ti500

roy

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003

Several times I have downloaded and tried to install Dell's driver update (T5xpA01)
for my Nvidia GeForce3 Ti500. Each time I have to go back and install the original
driver because of the drastic color change it causes on my Dell FP1702 LCD monitor.
In addition when I go to the display settings I find that the only color setting
permitted is 4 bit color and there are only three screen resolution settings
available instead of the normal six with the old driver.

I have tried downloading the Windows XP update for this driver and get the same
results. Perhaps there is a video BIOS that needs to be updated, etc. Where can I
download the BIOS update if so? Dell doesn't have it. Anybody have any ideas?

--
Roy

Have you tried the latest drivers from NVIDIA. The dell drivers are a little outdated, especially if you have updated to WinXP SP2.

www.nvidia.com

Have a good day,
Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

"Roy" <qrm5qrt@whoopie.org> wrote in message news:j0EMd.14559$2e7.5631@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com...
Several times I have downloaded and tried to install Dell's driver update (T5xpA01)
for my Nvidia GeForce3 Ti500. Each time I have to go back and install the original
driver because of the drastic color change it causes on my Dell FP1702 LCD monitor.
In addition when I go to the display settings I find that the only color setting
permitted is 4 bit color and there are only three screen resolution settings
available instead of the normal six with the old driver.

I have tried downloading the Windows XP update for this driver and get the same
results. Perhaps there is a video BIOS that needs to be updated, etc. Where can I
download the BIOS update if so? Dell doesn't have it. Anybody have any ideas?

--
Roy

Jd

you can also try this website:

http://www.guru3d.com/

they would seem to have every nvidia driver under the sun. thier list
goes way back, too : )

roy

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003

Roy wrote:

> Several times I have downloaded and tried to install Dell's driver
> update (T5xpA01) for my Nvidia GeForce3 Ti500. Each time I have to go
> back and install the original driver because of the drastic color change
> it causes on my Dell FP1702 LCD monitor. In addition when I go to the
> display settings I find that the only color setting permitted is 4 bit
> color and there are only three screen resolution settings available
> instead of the normal six with the old driver.
>
> I have tried downloading the Windows XP update for this driver and get
> the same results. Perhaps there is a video BIOS that needs to be
> updated, etc. Where can I download the BIOS update if so? Dell doesn't
> have it. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks guys. I'll try a download from there.

Another question I have is whether or not I can use the PCI slot adjacent to the
Nvidia card. The Nvidia card has a fan on it that is on the same side as the
adjacent PCI slot. There is room to slide a card into the adjacent slot but I was
wondering if this would be too close to tne Nvidia card for good ventilation.

--
Roy

> Roy wrote:
>
>> Several times I have downloaded and tried to install Dell's driver update
>> (T5xpA01) for my Nvidia GeForce3 Ti500. Each time I have to go back and
>> install the original driver because of the drastic color change it causes
>> on my Dell FP1702 LCD monitor. In addition when I go to the display
>> settings I find that the only color setting permitted is 4 bit color and
>> there are only three screen resolution settings available instead of the
>> normal six with the old driver.
>>
>> I have tried downloading the Windows XP update for this driver and get
>> the same results. Perhaps there is a video BIOS that needs to be
>> updated, etc. Where can I download the BIOS update if so? Dell doesn't
>> have it. Anybody have any ideas?
>>

> Thanks guys. I'll try a download from there.
>
> Another question I have is whether or not I can use the PCI slot adjacent
> to the Nvidia card. The Nvidia card has a fan on it that is on the same
> side as the adjacent PCI slot. There is room to slide a card into the
> adjacent slot but I was wondering if this would be too close to tne Nvidia
> card for good ventilation.
>
> --
> Roy

Use the slot. It's fine.

Stew

roy

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003

S.Lewis wrote:
> "Roy" <qrm5qrt@whoopie.org> wrote in message
>
>>Roy wrote:
>>

>>>Several times I have downloaded and tried to install Dell's driver update
>>>(T5xpA01) for my Nvidia GeForce3 Ti500. Each time I have to go back and
>>>install the original driver because of the drastic color change it causes
>>>on my Dell FP1702 LCD monitor. In addition when I go to the display
>>>settings I find that the only color setting permitted is 4 bit color and
>>>there are only three screen resolution settings available instead of the
>>>normal six with the old driver.
>>>
>>>I have tried downloading the Windows XP update for this driver and get
>>>the same results. Perhaps there is a video BIOS that needs to be
>>>updated, etc. Where can I download the BIOS update if so? Dell doesn't
>>>have it. Anybody have any ideas?
>>>

>>Thanks guys. I'll try a download from there.
>>
>>Another question I have is whether or not I can use the PCI slot adjacent
>>to the Nvidia card. The Nvidia card has a fan on it that is on the same
>>side as the adjacent PCI slot. There is room to slide a card into the
>>adjacent slot but I was wondering if this would be too close to tne Nvidia
>>card for good ventilation.
>>
>>--
>>Roy
>

> Use the slot. It's fine.
>

> Stew

Thanks Stew. I really need that slot.

Roy
--
Roy

> S.Lewis wrote:
>> "Roy" <qrm5qrt@whoopie.org> wrote in message

>>>Thanks guys. I'll try a download from there.
>>>
>>>Another question I have is whether or not I can use the PCI slot adjacent
>>>to the Nvidia card. The Nvidia card has a fan on it that is on the same
>>>side as the adjacent PCI slot. There is room to slide a card into the
>>>adjacent slot but I was wondering if this would be too close to tne
>>>Nvidia card for good ventilation.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Roy
>>

>> Use the slot. It's fine.
>>

>> Stew
> Thanks Stew. I really need that slot.
>
> Roy
> --
> Roy

The newest upper-end NVidia cards physically prevent the slot (PCI 1) from
being used, since these cards feature double slot brackets and their
coolers/heatsinks actually extend over that first slot.

I've 3 or 4 GeForce3 and 4 AGP cards here and not one of them poses a
problem (physically or thermally) with use of the first PCI slot.

Stew