Nvidia and Dual Monitors

NanooK

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2003
I've got a Geforce 3 Ti500 and I'm trying to get my dual monitors working (I had to get a DVI-to-VGA adapter for the second monitor). Both monitors come up fine, but the problem is that the second monitor just acts as a mirror to the primary one. I've installed the latest video card drivers, and I've fished around in the display properties as well as Nvidia's Nview desktop manager, but I still can't get the second monitor to work independent of the other. In Nview -> Windows, there is a setting for "enabling window spanning across displays" which I've had checked and unchecked....no change. Is there some separate software I need to run to do this, or am I just missing something? I searched the forums already and someone else had a similar problem, but the advice he got was to go to display properties, then advanced and the option would be there (well....it's not there....)

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
You might not have two DACs...which would be why you'd get the same image on both screens. I'm not too sure about the Ti500, but I know only having one DAC was a cost cutting measure used. The reason you have two connectors is so that nVidia could say it still has dual output, covering both types of monitors without an adapter.

Or you could just have not enabled it properly through software...right click on the desktop -> properties -> Settings tab -> advanced -> Ti500 tab -> nView Display Modes -> use pulldown menu to use either dualview or horizontal spanning.

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.

NanooK

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2003
Thanks for the replies....I tried the UltraMon program, but it still didn't recognize the other monitor.....after looking around on their forums, it seems that the GF3's didn't come with the Twinview capability, although the GF2 and GF4's did! WTF!!

So now I tried plugging in my old 8mb PCI video card, in conjuction with my agb GF3 card...but the system refuses to boot up....even if I unplug the monitor to the PCI card it still won't boot up (I have to yank it out in order to get my system up again) Is what I'm trying even possible, or do I have to have some special motherboard to do this, or is there maybe a BIOS setting I need to tweak?

Thanks again for your advice/help!

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
it should work with the second video card, look in your bios for a setting to tell it which display adaptor to boot to, pci or agp.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 69.12.5.119:27015
now featuring (optional) cheating death!