9800 XT Inverted Quality Issue

Anfini03

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2002
I will list my symptoms first, with my hardware list last. A few days ago, after installing my new graphics card, and doing all the necessary stress testing, I decided it was time to turn up the quality. Using the Catalyst Software, I upped the Direct3D and Open GL to one notch away from max, which is 2X AA, and 8X Ansio. This is when it got funny. In the 3 games I have played since, Diablo 2, Halo, and BattleField 1942, all the menu areas have seemed fuzzy, as if a slightly out of focus camera. In two of the games, the fuzziness carried over to gameplay, but Battlefield was the exception. The gameplay was beautiful. Turning the slider bar settings back to the middle resolves all problems, but then I get the jaggies and stuff back. Does anyone know what is causing the 'fuzziness.' Should I not be moving both sliders? Systems specs below.

P4 3.06 /HT
1 Gig Corsair
P4G800-E Deluxe Motherboard
ATI Radeon 9800 XT
Using onboard sound until I can afford a new sound card. The last one blew up and I spent all my money on the graphics card. :)

Tech Support: "Hello, tech support, may I help you?"
Customer: (in a thick Russian accent) "Yes. Monitor is working fine but has sparks and smoke flying out back. Is ok?"

splenda20

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
Halo doesn't support Anti-Aliasing at all, it will just slow the game down even more. I'm not familiar with Diablo 2. But I would suggest doing what I do for all my games, keep everything in the Control Panel to Application Preference and then change the settings in the game. Or the last few releases of Catalyst allows you to set different settings for each game, you could try that, but I find it easier just to change the settings within each game.

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
antialiasing makes jagged edges go away by smoothing them out... i have noticed my the same thing that when u enforce AA it blurs writing ever so slightly in game menus . it was most apparent i thought back with my ti4600 when u turned nvidias type of AA (cant remember the name, quinux or something like that). Anyway I have a 9800XT and enforcing AA causes writing to blur slightly so i wouldnt worry about it... just enjoy how bloody good everything looks when u play em, ahem... apart from halo and diablo :p

"Its only when you look at ants closely with a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames"