FTP behind MN-700

Pradeep

Is it possible to host 2 FTP servers behind MN-700. If so how do I access
them from outside the network.
I have tried forwarding port 21 for both the servers and both have static
ips assigned. It only work one at a time.
MN-700 firmware is upto date 02.01.02.0590

Thanks for any help.

You can only forward a port to one internal IP address. To access your second FTP site, use a different public port and forward it to your private IP address.

Example: ftp://ftp.yourhost.com:2121

Then create a rule to forward port 2121 to port 21, and the destination IP address.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Pradeep" <Pradeep@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F0099732-21AD-4A7A-A981-C368379FF9C3@microsoft.com...
> Is it possible to host 2 FTP servers behind MN-700. If so how do I access
> them from outside the network.
> I have tried forwarding port 21 for both the servers and both have static
> ips assigned. It only work one at a time.
> MN-700 firmware is upto date 02.01.02.0590
>
> Thanks for any help.

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks Doug for replying Doug.

I tried your suggessions but still unable to access 2nd FTP server, 1st one
works fine.
what I did was set up server1 to use port 21 and forwarded ports 20-21 using
persistant port-forwarding to computer1. Then I set up server2 to use ports
2100, and forwarded ports 2100 to computer2 using persistant port forwarding.
Then I tried to login to both FTP Servers from outside my LAN. When I
connected to server1 by typing ftp://username:password@FTPserver1:21 into a
browser it worked fine every time. Then I tried to connect to server2 by
typing
ftp://username:password@FTPserver2:2100 and it didn't work.

And I'm also not sure how to make a rule that you mentioned in the last
part. But I decided to try something so in persistant port-forwarding I made
a new port forward rule (at least I think thats what I was doing when I put
in the incomming ports, computer, and private ports):
Inbound port: 2100
Type: TCP
Private IP Address: 192.128.2.11 (which is my computer on the LAN)
Private Ports: 21
I don't know if thats what you meant by creating a rule, I hope that you can
give me some more exact directions for this.

Once again thanks a lot for your assistance.

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

> You can only forward a port to one internal IP address. To access your second FTP site, use a different public port and forward it to your private IP address.
>
> Example: ftp://ftp.yourhost.com:2121
>
> Then create a rule to forward port 2121 to port 21, and the destination IP address.

> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "Pradeep" <Pradeep@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F0099732-21AD-4A7A-A981-C368379FF9C3@microsoft.com...
> > Is it possible to host 2 FTP servers behind MN-700. If so how do I access
> > them from outside the network.
> > I have tried forwarding port 21 for both the servers and both have static
> > ips assigned. It only work one at a time.
> > MN-700 firmware is upto date 02.01.02.0590
> >
> > Thanks for any help.

Hi Eric,

You say you set the second FTP server up to use port 2100. But from the description of the port forwarding, you're still forwarding traffic to port 21. If you changed the TCP/IP port that the FTP server is using, then that's the port that you need to forward port 2100 traffic to. However, there should be no need to change the port that the second server is using. Both FTP servers can happily use port 21, since you're router is handling the traffic direction based on the public port number that is used.

Inbound port: 2100
Type: TCP
Private IP Address: 192.128.2.11 (which is my computer on the LAN)
Private Ports: 21

The above should work fine, just make sure that in the properties for FTPServer2, it is using port 21. If not, then change the Private Port in the above to match the port that the FTP server is listening to.