Windows XP Clock

My clock does not keep the correct time. Is there an XP upgrade to fix this?

"Mike Clock" <Mike Clock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My clock does not keep the correct time. Is there an XP upgrade to fix
> this?

Your CMOS battery on the Motherboard may be failing, replace it. The battery
will look like a wrist watch battery.

There is a registry tweak to update the time more frequently but I would
replace the battery.

To change the frequency of checking the time through the internet:

Start Regedit (Start>Run>regedit)
Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\TimeProviders\Ntp
Client

Double-click SpecialPollInterval in the right-hand pane and select Decimal.
Change the Decimal value in seconds.

NOTE: The value is in seconds. Enter the number of seconds you would like to
update to the correct time. If you want every hour then it would be 3600
seconds, daily would be 86400 seconds.

--
William

"WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Mike Clock" <Mike Clock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> My clock does not keep the correct time. Is there an XP upgrade to fix
>> this?
>

> Your CMOS battery on the Motherboard may be failing, replace it. The
> battery will look like a wrist watch battery.
>
> There is a registry tweak to update the time more frequently but I would
> replace the battery.
>
> To change the frequency of checking the time through the internet:
>

> Start Regedit (Start>Run>regedit)
> Navigate to:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\TimeProviders\Ntp
> Client
>
> Double-click SpecialPollInterval in the right-hand pane and select
> Decimal. Change the Decimal value in seconds.
>
> NOTE: The value is in seconds. Enter the number of seconds you would like
> to update to the correct time. If you want every hour then it would be
> 3600 seconds, daily would be 86400 seconds.
>

> --
> William

The battery will only need replacing if the clock resets to 1980 on
boot-up - either all the time or sometimes. Don't bother replacing it
otherwise. If its days, hours or minutes out then William's reg fix might
help.

Alternately, you could download a free utility from
http://www.worldtimeserver.com/atomic-clock/, which keeps your pc's clock
synchronised with an atomic clock across the internet. I used to use this
until we upgraded our server to be a time server.

Brian.

www.cryer.co.uk/brian