  • Microsoft
  • IE6
  • Windows XP
April 11, 2005 11:22:02 PM

Boy am I having fun. Cant send attachments or emails, though Ive adjusted
settings and got latest trojanhunter, adaware and PcCillin profiles. Told to
reload IE6.0. My MS disc cant seem to do it. How can I download and install
IE6? By the way I only have this problem in Hotmail, so it appears to be MS
specific. This has been going on for nearly 2 weeks.
--
elgordo

More about : internet explorer

April 12, 2005 4:32:38 AM

In news:1428D774-7766-4116-9DFE-FDEC41DC638E@microsoft.com,
elgordo <elgordo@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Boy am I having fun. Cant send attachments or emails, though Ive
> adjusted settings and got latest trojanhunter, adaware and PcCillin
> profiles. Told to reload IE6.0. My MS disc cant seem to do it. How
> can I download and install IE6? By the way I only have this problem
> in Hotmail, so it appears to be MS specific. This has been going on
> for nearly 2 weeks.

How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express ...:

Galen
April 12, 2005 4:32:39 AM

Thanks man
I tried to run sfc /scannow and on prompting, inserted my XP disc. I got the
message that it was not the XP home disc for the system. I have reinstalled
it ayear ago after a virus attack, so I'm not at fault. I suppose this is
another side effect of SP2. Even cleaning the disc made no difference. Any
ideas? Ta from OZ

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:1428D774-7766-4116-9DFE-FDEC41DC638E@microsoft.com,
> elgordo <elgordo@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> > Boy am I having fun. Cant send attachments or emails, though Ive
> > adjusted settings and got latest trojanhunter, adaware and PcCillin
> > profiles. Told to reload IE6.0. My MS disc cant seem to do it. How
> > can I download and install IE6? By the way I only have this problem
> > in Hotmail, so it appears to be MS specific. This has been going on
> > for nearly 2 weeks.
>

> How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express ...:
>
> Galen
> --
> Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

April 12, 2005 4:29:29 PM

In news:F79428CC-575A-427E-B84D-CEB95080A220@microsoft.com,
elgordo <elgordo@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Thanks man
> I tried to run sfc /scannow and on prompting, inserted my XP disc. I
> got the message that it was not the XP home disc for the system. I
> have reinstalled it ayear ago after a virus attack, so I'm not at
> fault. I suppose this is another side effect of SP2. Even cleaning
> the disc made no difference. Any ideas? Ta from OZ

Well... Winter approaches in OZ so you'll likely be inside more and wanting
your PC to work. SFC /scannow should function fine with SP2 installed. (It
does everywhere else I understand though I've never had occasion to use it
in a rather long time.) My thoughts are beginning to lead to malware issues.
Have you tried to uninstall and re-install Internet Explorer? Did that solve
your problem? Make sure that you have your firewall turned on and the
following links may help you.

Virus:
www.grisoft.com - AVG
www.antivir.com - AntiVir
http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm - CA eTrust

Spyware:
www.lavasoft.de - AdAware
http://security.kolla.de/ - Spybot
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/softwa... -
Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta

Trojan:
www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/ - a Squared
http://swatit.org/ Swat It

Before cleaning download this:

LSP-Fix - a free program to repair damaged Winsock 2 stacks:
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

Use that should cleaning out your PC remove or damage your in-place winsock
and you can't connect to the internet.

From the virus and trojan category pick one application, they're all free,
download it and install it. Make sure that you update it. From the spyware
category pick all three, download them and update them to the latest
definitions. Reboot, press the F8 key over and over again, from the menu
select Safe mode without networking. Do your cleaning in there. Reboot to
regular mode and run the scans again. This isn't going to be quick or easy
but it might just solve your problems and it should prevent you from further
problems so long as you keep them updated and scan often. Most of them can
be enabled to update and scan automatically.

Galen