Stephanie

Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade to Windows XP from ME, but when i try to install the
program onto my PC i get a "Blocking Issue" problem and a message saying :

"Before setup can be completed, you must uninstall these programs from your
computer.

Microsoft Shared Fax Client

Your existing Microsoft Fax application will not be available after
upgrading to Windows XP, and will be replaced by the Windows XP Fax. Please
uninstall this fax application using Add/Remove Programs in the Control
Panel, and then restart to upgrade."

OK so i followed those instructions, but the problem is that i can't find a
Program named 'Microsoft Shared Fax Client' among my Add/Remove Programs
list.

Can someone please tell me what i'm doing wrong and possibly provide an
extreme dummies guide to removing Microsoft Shared Fax Client from a PC?

Thanks in advance.

Open up My Computer.
Go to Tools, Folder Options.
Put a check in "Show hidden files and folders".
Click on Start, then Run.
Type in: CMD.
Type in: cd\ , then hit enter
Type in: dir fxsclnt.exe /s
Remember what directory you found the file in.
Type in Exit.
Double click on My Computer.
Right-click on the C: drive and click on Explorer.
Find the directory that housed the fxsclnt.exe.
Delete the file and restart.

Now, you should be able to upgrade to Windows XP.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Stephanie" wrote:

| Hi,
|
| I'm trying to upgrade to Windows XP from ME, but when i try to install the
| program onto my PC i get a "Blocking Issue" problem and a message saying :
|
| "Before setup can be completed, you must uninstall these programs from your
| computer.
|
| Microsoft Shared Fax Client
|
| Your existing Microsoft Fax application will not be available after
| upgrading to Windows XP, and will be replaced by the Windows XP Fax. Please
| uninstall this fax application using Add/Remove Programs in the Control
| Panel, and then restart to upgrade."
|
| OK so i followed those instructions, but the problem is that i can't find a
| Program named 'Microsoft Shared Fax Client' among my Add/Remove Programs
| list.
|
| Can someone please tell me what i'm doing wrong and possibly provide an
| extreme dummies guide to removing Microsoft Shared Fax Client from a PC?
|
| Thanks in advance.

You might want to take a look at the answer that Carey Frisch
[MVP] provided in a previous post:

http://tinyurl.com/6zhsq

--
Nepatsfan