FX5900XT vs R9600XT, not as easy as you think.

DriverHeaven revisits this question they posed when the FX5900XT first came out.

<A HREF="http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/XTs/" target="_new">http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/XTs/</A>

The one solid conclusion, the FX5700U really has no place anymore. The R9600PRO still own the low mid range, the R9600XT owns the next step, and then the FX5900XT for a slight touch more, then back to the R9800.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

pauldh

Illustrious
Yeah Grape, that review makes the R9600XT look pretty good against the FX5900XT. It did win a couple tests, and interesting that in Call of Duty, a game shipping with NVidia cards, the R9600XT overall had the better gameplay. yes, it lost 96fps to 100fps in average, but the victory in minimum fps 27 to 21, would make a much bigger difference. Considering that a R9600XT with HL2 is quite a bit cheaper than the FX5900XT, and even a BBA retail is cheaper, I'd definatelty take the Radeon. Doesn't the Radeon's AA/AF IQ still beat out the FX line too?

Not saying th FX5900XT is a bad card at all. It is actually the only NVidia card IMO that is worth buying right now (and a 5900nu priced the same). But for my money, the choices are really only 9600Pro, 9600XT, 9800Pro, 9800XT... no other choices really needed.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

YEah the AA and AF are usually better on ATI products but there are exceptions, under certain circumstances ATI methods show slight weakness, but that's rather rare, and usually not so noticeable except in screen captures. But I think it's safe to say 85% of the time it's better with the ATIs.

The FX5900XT is still a good choice for it's price range, as are the chaintexh and XFX FX5900non-ultras (not SE/XT), but it's a question of the R9600XT not being as terrible as some people were saying it was. It's good for it's class, and does an ok job in newer games against even the FX5900XT. Of course in most of last years games it is noticeably behind the FX5900XT, but it is interesting seeing those cases when the R9600XT comes out ahead. NFS:U was an interesting example of the change in resolution turning the tables.

I like your list, but I would add the FX5900XT/SE/NU in a very slim wedge between the R9800 and R9600XT. Also I'd add the GF4ti at the low end of course, and after that it's the batle of the integrated IMO really.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

pauldh

Illustrious
If I needed a nice midrange card, the R9600XT would be it for sure. I am really interested in the HL2 coupon. I went with a 9800 Pro recently because I have been tracking the prices for a long time and just couldn't resist. But I tell you, I will be buying HL2, and to me a Saphire 9600XT or BBA with HL2 is a sweet deal, and still cheaper than the FX5900XT. Of course I'd love a Radeon 9800XT with HL2, but being married with children, just could never justify the cost(nor would want to if I did have the money). That's also why the FX5950 is somewhat of a joke to me. $400+ for a card that is second best, when the $215 R9800Pro is at worst right on it heals, or even ahead IMO.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

compn00b

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2003
Yeah, I was in the same boat around boxing day, as TGGA might remember. But, I didn't want to go with risky DX9 performance with the 5900xt, and the lower DX8 performance with the 9600xt, so i went with the PowerColor 9700 Pro. I'm quite pleased with it, no problems, its great!!!