Lenovo Y570 Ideapad vs. Toshiba Qosmio X770

Status
Not open for further replies.

brentrodgers

Honorable
May 30, 2012
Okay, so I'm going to be a freshman in college. My major will be aerospace engineering. I am looking at a laptop that can run design programs, render animations, play video games, and all other things that most college students will do. Yes, I am aware that I'm asking for alot, but I have narrowed my choices down to two. They are at:

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:item.detail?GroupID=457&Code=08622VU&category-id=F41BC8E1656C5F85171FBDB172571912 -$1,039.20

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/cdetland.to?poid=2000016431 -$1,219.00

I was originally leaning towards the Lenovo, but now I'm thinking that the Toshiba would be best for my money.
What do you think?
Thanks

If you are enrolling in the fall, I think you should wait as long as you can.

Ivy bridge laptops whii be here by then.

You will either buy one of them and get a stronger machine,
Or... you will find that the ones you are looking at will be discounted.

Of the two, I like the toshiba. But it is a bigger laptop, and will be harder to lug around if you need to take it anywhere.

edit1754

Distinguished
May 14, 2012
Neither of these two laptops are particularly good options, because they have poor displays.

15.6" 1366x768 displays and 17.3" 1600x900 dispalys make things onscreen large, and tend to have very poor image quality due to low contrast. I recommend against buying laptops that have this type of display to those who have a budget that allows them to get a laptop that has a better display and still suits their needs, and who don't require larger text for eyesight-related reasons.

Consider instead the Sager NP9130 for much better GPU performance, and a much better display.

Follow this link to the configuration page on XoticPC or this link to Malibal's equivalent model based on the same Clevo barebone
- Select Windows 7 under Operating System, unless you have your own valid Windows 7 serial and are willing to install it yourself.
- The XoticPC configuration page allows you to downgrade the memory to 1333Mhz to save $50. It probably will not make a noticeable difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.