having IE 6.0.2900 problems - help please

April 12, 2005 11:06:32 AM

I had a minor system crash (running Windows XP SP2) and since recovering:

If I right-click on any "hyperlink" and choose "Open in New Window", that
particular window just freezes without opening up a new one. But if I
left-click on the "hyperlink", it goes there okay (without of course opening
a new any new windows).

This of course also prevents me from running any Java-based programs, which
require execution in a "new window". If I try the same situation in
Mozilla browser, I have no problems! But I would like to use my IE 6.x

I have tried un-installing IE and then re-installing it (and also the
complete SP2 again) but it has not resolved the issue.

Thanks for any help!

More about : 2900 problems

Anonymous
April 12, 2005 1:12:39 PM

Try this:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q281679

"M. B." <REMOVETHESPAMmystic02@verizon.net> escribió en el mensaje news:YrK6e.19078$qO6.7772@trnddc05...
>I had a minor system crash (running Windows XP SP2) and since recovering:
>
> If I right-click on any "hyperlink" and choose "Open in New Window", that
> particular window just freezes without opening up a new one. But if I
> left-click on the "hyperlink", it goes there okay (without of course opening
> a new any new windows).
>
> This of course also prevents me from running any Java-based programs, which
> require execution in a "new window". If I try the same situation in
> Mozilla browser, I have no problems! But I would like to use my IE 6.x
>
> I have tried un-installing IE and then re-installing it (and also the
> complete SP2 again) but it has not resolved the issue.
>
> Thanks for any help!

Anonymous
April 12, 2005 1:12:40 PM

I just tried

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q281679

but it is still not working. But this is the exact problem that I am
having!

Wondering what else it could be, as I have never had this issue before.

"José Gallardo" <jogalb@QUITALOono.com> wrote in message
Try this:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q281679

"M. B." <REMOVETHESPAMmystic02@verizon.net> escribió en el mensaje
>I had a minor system crash (running Windows XP SP2) and since recovering:
>
> If I right-click on any "hyperlink" and choose "Open in New Window", that
> particular window just freezes without opening up a new one. But if I
> left-click on the "hyperlink", it goes there okay (without of course
> opening
> a new any new windows).
>
> This of course also prevents me from running any Java-based programs,
> which
> require execution in a "new window". If I try the same situation in
> Mozilla browser, I have no problems! But I would like to use my IE 6.x
>
> I have tried un-installing IE and then re-installing it (and also the
> complete SP2 again) but it has not resolved the issue.
>
> Thanks for any help!

April 12, 2005 6:08:43 PM

See if these commands help, from Start/Run:

regsvr32 oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 /i urlmon.dll

Restart Windows.

Additional recommendations:

Disable all Pop-up blockers if installed any. Here is a detailed note from
Don Varnau, MS-MVP Internet Explorer

<quote>
You probably have a program running which is blocking pop-up windows-
something like Yahoo Companion, Google toolbar, MSN toolbar, a firewall,
Earthlink (or another) pop-up blocker, MyIE2 (or another shell for IE) etc.

You'll have to turn off the feature that's blocking new windows or, perhaps,
uninstall the program.

BHO Demon from http://www.definitivesolutions.com/bhodemon.htm may find the
offending program/BHO.

Or it could be caused by spyware/parasites. Work through the solutions
(CWShredder, Ad-aware, Spybot) at
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm Also note the security tips on that
page.

Additional information at:
The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
More security tips at http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups: http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm

</quote>

Ref:
http://groups.google.co.in/groups?selm=%23GLKPaYhEHA.38...

You'd be interested in using my program ToolbarCop to disable the IE add-ons
(that includes browser extensions, toolbars, additional buttons to the
standard toolbar, Browser Helper Objects) selectively, to isolate the
problem. ToolbarCop can be downloaded from:

Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"M. B." <REMOVETHESPAMmystic02@verizon.net> wrote in message
>I had a minor system crash (running Windows XP SP2) and since recovering:
>
> If I right-click on any "hyperlink" and choose "Open in New Window", that
> particular window just freezes without opening up a new one. But if I
> left-click on the "hyperlink", it goes there okay (without of course
> opening a new any new windows).
>
> This of course also prevents me from running any Java-based programs,
> which require execution in a "new window". If I try the same situation
> in Mozilla browser, I have no problems! But I would like to use my IE 6.x
>
> I have tried un-installing IE and then re-installing it (and also the
> complete SP2 again) but it has not resolved the issue.
>
> Thanks for any help!

Anonymous
April 12, 2005 9:09:53 PM

Thanks for the help!

It turns out that I needed the BHO Demon to solve the issue. No other
solution worked! There is some file which is called:

C:\Windows\System32\req.dat

I can't seem to delete the actual frile though, but have it unchecked with
BHODemon.

news:o 267KszPFHA.3496@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> See if these commands help, from Start/Run:
>
> regsvr32 oleaut32.dll
> regsvr32 /i urlmon.dll
>
> Restart Windows.
>
> Additional recommendations:
>
> Disable all Pop-up blockers if installed any. Here is a detailed note from
> Don Varnau, MS-MVP Internet Explorer
>
> <quote>
> You probably have a program running which is blocking pop-up windows-
> something like Yahoo Companion, Google toolbar, MSN toolbar, a firewall,
> Earthlink (or another) pop-up blocker, MyIE2 (or another shell for IE)
> etc.
>
> You'll have to turn off the feature that's blocking new windows or,
> perhaps, uninstall the program.
>
> BHO Demon from http://www.definitivesolutions.com/bhodemon.htm may find
> the offending program/BHO.
>
> Or it could be caused by spyware/parasites. Work through the solutions
> (CWShredder, Ad-aware, Spybot) at
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm Also note the security tips on
> that page.
>
> Additional information at:
> The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
> More security tips at http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups: http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm
>
> </quote>
>
> Ref:
> http://groups.google.co.in/groups?selm=%23GLKPaYhEHA.38...
>
> You'd be interested in using my program ToolbarCop to disable the IE
> add-ons (that includes browser extensions, toolbars, additional buttons to
> the standard toolbar, Browser Helper Objects) selectively, to isolate the
> problem. ToolbarCop can be downloaded from:
> http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4126.html
>

> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "M. B." <REMOVETHESPAMmystic02@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>I had a minor system crash (running Windows XP SP2) and since recovering:
>>
>> If I right-click on any "hyperlink" and choose "Open in New Window", that
>> particular window just freezes without opening up a new one. But if I
>> left-click on the "hyperlink", it goes there okay (without of course
>> opening a new any new windows).
>>
>> This of course also prevents me from running any Java-based programs,
>> which require execution in a "new window". If I try the same situation
>> in Mozilla browser, I have no problems! But I would like to use my IE
>> 6.x
>>
>> I have tried un-installing IE and then re-installing it (and also the
>> complete SP2 again) but it has not resolved the issue.
>>
>> Thanks for any help!

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 2:08:16 PM

It's most likely a keylogger/trojan. Try Trend Micro's Sysclean package
(free), it's capable of eliminating keyloggers, trojans etc. Full
instructions at:

Generic Trojan / Adware Infestation Removal Procedure:

Trend Micro Sysclean package
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=10820

--

> [...]
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "M. B." <REMOVETHESPAMmystic02@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>>I had a minor system crash (running Windows XP SP2) and since recovering:
>>>
>>> If I right-click on any "hyperlink" and choose "Open in New Window",
>>> that particular window just freezes without opening up a new one. But
>>> if I left-click on the "hyperlink", it goes there okay (without of
>>> course opening a new any new windows).
>>>
>>> This of course also prevents me from running any Java-based programs,
>>> which require execution in a "new window". If I try the same situation
>>> in Mozilla browser, I have no problems! But I would like to use my IE
>>> 6.x
>>>
>>> I have tried un-installing IE and then re-installing it (and also the
>>> complete SP2 again) but it has not resolved the issue.

Anonymous
April 20, 2005 10:09:29 PM

M. B. wrote:
> Thanks for the help!
> C:\Windows\System32\req.dat
>
> I can't seem to delete the actual frile though, but have it unchecked
with
> BHODemon.

Unchecked in BHODemon only stopped BHO from loading in IE, you still
need to remove it as it is hooking your O/S logon/logoff events. Saw a
tool (killbox)? that would do the trick for you. Alternate means is to
stop winlogon from loading req.dat. Do a googling search for "req.dat
removal".
!