having IE 6.0.2900 problems - help please

I had a minor system crash (running Windows XP SP2) and since recovering:

If I right-click on any "hyperlink" and choose "Open in New Window", that
particular window just freezes without opening up a new one. But if I
left-click on the "hyperlink", it goes there okay (without of course opening
a new any new windows).

This of course also prevents me from running any Java-based programs, which
require execution in a "new window". If I try the same situation in
Mozilla browser, I have no problems! But I would like to use my IE 6.x

I have tried un-installing IE and then re-installing it (and also the
complete SP2 again) but it has not resolved the issue.

Thanks for any help!
6 answers Last reply
More about having 2900 problems please

    Try this:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q281679

    "M. B." <REMOVETHESPAMmystic02@verizon.net> escribió en el mensaje news:YrK6e.19078$qO6.7772@trnddc05...
    >I had a minor system crash (running Windows XP SP2) and since recovering:
    >
    > If I right-click on any "hyperlink" and choose "Open in New Window", that
    > particular window just freezes without opening up a new one. But if I
    > left-click on the "hyperlink", it goes there okay (without of course opening
    > a new any new windows).
    >
    > This of course also prevents me from running any Java-based programs, which
    > require execution in a "new window". If I try the same situation in
    > Mozilla browser, I have no problems! But I would like to use my IE 6.x
    >
    > I have tried un-installing IE and then re-installing it (and also the
    > complete SP2 again) but it has not resolved the issue.
    >
    > Thanks for any help!

    I just tried

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q281679

    but it is still not working. But this is the exact problem that I am
    having!

    Wondering what else it could be, as I have never had this issue before.

    "José Gallardo" <jogalb@QUITALOono.com> wrote in message
    Try this:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q281679

    "M. B." <REMOVETHESPAMmystic02@verizon.net> escribió en el mensaje
    >I had a minor system crash (running Windows XP SP2) and since recovering:
    >
    > If I right-click on any "hyperlink" and choose "Open in New Window", that
    > particular window just freezes without opening up a new one. But if I
    > left-click on the "hyperlink", it goes there okay (without of course
    > opening
    > a new any new windows).
    >
    > This of course also prevents me from running any Java-based programs,
    > which
    > require execution in a "new window". If I try the same situation in
    > Mozilla browser, I have no problems! But I would like to use my IE 6.x
    >
    > I have tried un-installing IE and then re-installing it (and also the
    > complete SP2 again) but it has not resolved the issue.
    >
    > Thanks for any help!

    See if these commands help, from Start/Run:

    regsvr32 oleaut32.dll
    regsvr32 /i urlmon.dll

    Restart Windows.

    Additional recommendations:

    Disable all Pop-up blockers if installed any. Here is a detailed note from
    Don Varnau, MS-MVP Internet Explorer

    <quote>
    You probably have a program running which is blocking pop-up windows-
    something like Yahoo Companion, Google toolbar, MSN toolbar, a firewall,
    Earthlink (or another) pop-up blocker, MyIE2 (or another shell for IE) etc.

    You'll have to turn off the feature that's blocking new windows or, perhaps,
    uninstall the program.

    BHO Demon from http://www.definitivesolutions.com/bhodemon.htm may find the
    offending program/BHO.

    Or it could be caused by spyware/parasites. Work through the solutions
    (CWShredder, Ad-aware, Spybot) at
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm Also note the security tips on that
    page.

    Additional information at:
    The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
    More security tips at http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups: http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm

    </quote>

    Ref:
    http://groups.google.co.in/groups?selm=%23GLKPaYhEHA.3864%40TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl

    You'd be interested in using my program ToolbarCop to disable the IE add-ons
    (that includes browser extensions, toolbars, additional buttons to the
    standard toolbar, Browser Helper Objects) selectively, to isolate the
    problem. ToolbarCop can be downloaded from:

    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "M. B." <REMOVETHESPAMmystic02@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >I had a minor system crash (running Windows XP SP2) and since recovering:
    >
    > If I right-click on any "hyperlink" and choose "Open in New Window", that
    > particular window just freezes without opening up a new one. But if I
    > left-click on the "hyperlink", it goes there okay (without of course
    > opening a new any new windows).
    >
    > This of course also prevents me from running any Java-based programs,
    > which require execution in a "new window". If I try the same situation
    > in Mozilla browser, I have no problems! But I would like to use my IE 6.x
    >
    > I have tried un-installing IE and then re-installing it (and also the
    > complete SP2 again) but it has not resolved the issue.
    >
    > Thanks for any help!

    Thanks for the help!

    It turns out that I needed the BHO Demon to solve the issue. No other
    solution worked! There is some file which is called:

    C:\Windows\System32\req.dat

    I can't seem to delete the actual frile though, but have it unchecked with
    BHODemon.

    > See if these commands help, from Start/Run:
    >
    > regsvr32 oleaut32.dll
    > regsvr32 /i urlmon.dll
    >
    > Restart Windows.
    >
    > Additional recommendations:
    >
    > Disable all Pop-up blockers if installed any. Here is a detailed note from
    > Don Varnau, MS-MVP Internet Explorer
    >
    > <quote>
    > You probably have a program running which is blocking pop-up windows-
    > something like Yahoo Companion, Google toolbar, MSN toolbar, a firewall,
    > Earthlink (or another) pop-up blocker, MyIE2 (or another shell for IE)
    > etc.
    >
    > You'll have to turn off the feature that's blocking new windows or,
    > perhaps, uninstall the program.
    >
    > BHO Demon from http://www.definitivesolutions.com/bhodemon.htm may find
    > the offending program/BHO.
    >
    > Or it could be caused by spyware/parasites. Work through the solutions
    > (CWShredder, Ad-aware, Spybot) at
    > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm Also note the security tips on
    > that page.
    >
    > Additional information at:
    > The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
    > More security tips at http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    > Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups: http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm
    >
    > </quote>
    >
    > Ref:
    > http://groups.google.co.in/groups?selm=%23GLKPaYhEHA.3864%40TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl
    >
    > You'd be interested in using my program ToolbarCop to disable the IE
    > add-ons (that includes browser extensions, toolbars, additional buttons to
    > the standard toolbar, Browser Helper Objects) selectively, to isolate the
    > problem. ToolbarCop can be downloaded from:
    > http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4126.html
    >

    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "M. B." <REMOVETHESPAMmystic02@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >>I had a minor system crash (running Windows XP SP2) and since recovering:
    >>
    >> If I right-click on any "hyperlink" and choose "Open in New Window", that
    >> particular window just freezes without opening up a new one. But if I
    >> left-click on the "hyperlink", it goes there okay (without of course
    >> opening a new any new windows).
    >>
    >> This of course also prevents me from running any Java-based programs,
    >> which require execution in a "new window". If I try the same situation
    >> in Mozilla browser, I have no problems! But I would like to use my IE
    >> 6.x
    >>
    >> I have tried un-installing IE and then re-installing it (and also the
    >> complete SP2 again) but it has not resolved the issue.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help!

    It's most likely a keylogger/trojan. Try Trend Micro's Sysclean package
    (free), it's capable of eliminating keyloggers, trojans etc. Full
    instructions at:

    Generic Trojan / Adware Infestation Removal Procedure:

    Trend Micro Sysclean package
    http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=10820

    --

    M. B. wrote:
    > Thanks for the help!
    > C:\Windows\System32\req.dat
    >
    > I can't seem to delete the actual frile though, but have it unchecked
    with
    > BHODemon.

    Unchecked in BHODemon only stopped BHO from loading in IE, you still
    need to remove it as it is hooking your O/S logon/logoff events. Saw a
    tool (killbox)? that would do the trick for you. Alternate means is to
    stop winlogon from loading req.dat. Do a googling search for "req.dat
    removal".

Internet Explorer Windows XP