Drive not found on new 8400?

One my one week old Dimension 8400 I get message on bootup:

"Drive 5 not found: Parallel ATA, PATA-1 (Prim IDE slave) Strike F1 to
continue, F2 to run set up utility."

I enter F1 and Windows Xp boots normally. What's going on and what
should I do to get rid of this message?

I'm hoping this newsgroup can save me a call to tech support.
6 answers Last reply
More about drive found 8400

    Lenny Bruce <spam@devnul.com> wrote:

    >One my one week old Dimension 8400 I get message on bootup:
    >
    >"Drive 5 not found: Parallel ATA, PATA-1 (Prim IDE slave) Strike F1 to
    >continue, F2 to run set up utility."
    >
    >I enter F1 and Windows Xp boots normally. What's going on and what
    >should I do to get rid of this message?

    I would have been inclined to hit F2. If I had a Drive 5 which
    should be found, I'd want to know why it is't being found. If I
    didn't have a Drive 5 to be found, I'd want to know why the BIOS
    thinks I have one that it can't find. Either way, hitting F1 to
    continue the boot into Windows isn't likely to give me any
    answers. As much as it can, BIOS is telling you "Come in, take a
    look at me. Something is screwy here."
    --
    OJ III

    Ogden Johnson III wrote:
    > Lenny Bruce <spam@devnul.com> wrote:
    >

    >>One my one week old Dimension 8400 I get message on bootup:
    >>
    >>"Drive 5 not found: Parallel ATA, PATA-1 (Prim IDE slave) Strike F1 to
    >>continue, F2 to run set up utility."
    >>
    >>I enter F1 and Windows Xp boots normally. What's going on and what
    >>should I do to get rid of this message?
    >

    > I would have been inclined to hit F2. If I had a Drive 5 which
    > should be found, I'd want to know why it is't being found. If I
    > didn't have a Drive 5 to be found, I'd want to know why the BIOS
    > thinks I have one that it can't find. Either way, hitting F1 to
    > continue the boot into Windows isn't likely to give me any
    > answers. As much as it can, BIOS is telling you "Come in, take a
    > look at me. Something is screwy here."

    I have one hard drive, a dvd-rw and dvd reader + a USB flash drive which
    wasn't attached when I booted up. It's weird that the error message is
    intermittent - i.e. doesn't come up on each cold boot. I wonder if it's
    caused by the next bootup without the flash drive following a prior use
    of the flash drive.????

    "Lenny Bruce" <spam@devnul.com> wrote in message
    > One my one week old Dimension 8400 I get message on bootup:
    >
    > "Drive 5 not found: Parallel ATA, PATA-1 (Prim IDE slave) Strike F1 to
    > continue, F2 to run set up utility."
    >
    > I enter F1 and Windows Xp boots normally. What's going on and what should
    > I do to get rid of this message?
    >
    > I'm hoping this newsgroup can save me a call to tech support.

    You need to enter the BIOS when you see the Dell logo on boot-up and disable
    whatever you've got listed against PATA-1.

    > Ogden Johnson III wrote:
    >> Lenny Bruce <spam@devnul.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>One my one week old Dimension 8400 I get message on bootup:
    >>>
    >>>"Drive 5 not found: Parallel ATA, PATA-1 (Prim IDE slave) Strike F1 to
    >>>continue, F2 to run set up utility."
    >>>
    >>>I enter F1 and Windows Xp boots normally. What's going on and what should
    >>>I do to get rid of this message?
    >>

    >> I would have been inclined to hit F2. If I had a Drive 5 which
    >> should be found, I'd want to know why it is't being found. If I
    >> didn't have a Drive 5 to be found, I'd want to know why the BIOS
    >> thinks I have one that it can't find. Either way, hitting F1 to
    >> continue the boot into Windows isn't likely to give me any
    >> answers. As much as it can, BIOS is telling you "Come in, take a
    >> look at me. Something is screwy here."
    >
    > I have one hard drive, a dvd-rw and dvd reader + a USB flash drive which
    > wasn't attached when I booted up. It's weird that the error message is
    > intermittent - i.e. doesn't come up on each cold boot. I wonder if it's
    > caused by the next bootup without the flash drive following a prior use of
    > the flash drive.????

    Nope. It's (periodically) dropping your DVD-RW drive (assuming that your
    DVD ROM) is up top.

    Check your power and ribbon cabling to both drives, making sure both are
    secure.

    Stew

    I've gotten that error msg about three times in the first four months
    with my new 8400. I just rebooted and everything ran fine. Think it
    may be a conectivity issue with the drive power cable. But it ocurrs
    so infrequently, I just don't worry about it.

    "petemoss" <petemoss52@yahoonospam.com> wrote in message
    > I've gotten that error msg about three times in the first four months
    > with my new 8400. I just rebooted and everything ran fine. Think it
    > may be a conectivity issue with the drive power cable. But it ocurrs
    > so infrequently, I just don't worry about it.

    It seems to be a quirk of some of these systems. I typically have seen them
    "drop" the SATA drives more often than the opticals.

    Stew

Dell Computers