Hello All-
Can Mad Planets, qBert, Mach III, etc filter boards be interchanged?
How about the power supplies?
Thanks.
-Tim

mudmantim wrote:
> Hello All-
> Can Mad Planets, qBert, Mach III, etc filter boards be interchanged?
> How about the power supplies?
> Thanks.
> -Tim

Filterboards - yes; powers supplies - not w/o verification.

http://arcadeconnection.serverbox.org/info/gottvid.htm
http://www.ionpool.net/arcade/gottlieb/technical/power.html

Thanks Bret-
This is for a qBert.
>From what I am reading, the only difference between the MA-303 power
supply is the +30 VDC. This is only for the knocker right, or the
sound board also? If I was to use a different one, without +30, would
the game work just not the knocker? I am swapping parts to find out
why this darn thing won't work. I believe the filter board is the
culprit anyway.
Thanks.
-Tim

mudmantim wrote:
> Thanks Bret-
> This is for a qBert.
>>From what I am reading, the only difference between the MA-303 power
> supply is the +30 VDC. This is only for the knocker right, or the
> sound board also? If I was to use a different one, without +30, would
> the game work just not the knocker? I am swapping parts to find out
> why this darn thing won't work. I believe the filter board is the
> culprit anyway.
> Thanks.
> -Tim

On Q*Bert, the 30 volts is for the knocker and sound, so unless you swap out
the sound board for a lower voltage unit (I don't know how compatible they
are), then you will need to keep it original.

What happens w/ these games is that the 30v zener diode often fails and kills
the regulation which results in 43v output. This will fry the filter board and
end up killing the sound board as well.

Start w/ the power supply and make sure that it is working correctly.

Bret-
I have had parts replaced on the power supply, didn't fix it. I
exchanged the power supply at Eldorado games, same problem. I sent the
main board to them for exchange, mine worked so they sent it back. I
talked with them and they wanted me to send the power supply back to
get it checked over again. They called me after it was running for 48
hours without a problem. He suggested a gallon of gasoline and a
match. If not that, then check for cold solder joints on the filter
board. I swapped the original filter board with a couple extras that I
have and, still, nothing.
I am expecting a package, any day now, with 2 filter boards, 2 power
supplies and 1 transformer all guaranteed working. If something
doesn't fix this dang game, I might start considering the gas and match
route.
Thanks for the help.
-Tim

mudmantim wrote:
> Bret-
> I have had parts replaced on the power supply, didn't fix it. I
> exchanged the power supply at Eldorado games, same problem. I sent the
> main board to them for exchange, mine worked so they sent it back. I
> talked with them and they wanted me to send the power supply back to
> get it checked over again. They called me after it was running for 48
> hours without a problem. He suggested a gallon of gasoline and a
> match. If not that, then check for cold solder joints on the filter
> board. I swapped the original filter board with a couple extras that I
> have and, still, nothing.
> I am expecting a package, any day now, with 2 filter boards, 2 power
> supplies and 1 transformer all guaranteed working. If something
> doesn't fix this dang game, I might start considering the gas and match
> route.
> Thanks for the help.
> -Tim

Cold solder joints are common.

It is actually pretty easy to diagnose voltage problems. Start at the source
(power supply, verify the voltage, and move to the next point (connector, wire,
end connector, filter board in, filter board out, connector, wiring, pcb,
etc.). Repeat w/ each rail.

Obviously, you have the interlock switches pulled out when you have the door
open, right and are getting power to the power supply.

http:// pg. photos. yahoo. com/ph/ mudmantim @ sbcglobal. net/
my_photos

Try this but put everything together.

http:// photos. yahoo. com/ mudmantim @ sbcglobal. net

mudmantim wrote:
> Yup, I got power.
> If I knew how to get a picture on here, or a link to it.
> Hey, let's try this:
>
> http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mudmantim@sbcglobal.net/album?.dir=/374e
>
> See what I get on the screen, just a bunch of frozen garbage. When it
> is started up qBert says his words and that is it.
> I see qBert's often on eBay that people give up on, I can surely see
> why.

Ok, if you are getting something coming up, then that should (help) narrow it down:

- Check the 5v rail for excessive AC ripple

- Check/reseat all the ROMs on the gameboard (power off, obviously)

- Check voltages at the gameboard, your wiring could be bad

The story:
I won the game, went to get the game, got it home and it worked
everytime it was turned on. (I know we shouldn't, but we leave our
games on, pretty much, all the time.) Well, after about a week or so,
we got up and it was garbage. The games I get for me never fail, the
ones we get for her ALWAYS fail. And that is how it became the way it
is. The previous owner told me that it never did this as long as he
owned it, and I believe him. He's a good guy.
It has a switching power supply hooked up also. I replaced that one
with 2 new ones and I get the same thing.
I have reseated the ROMs twice, once just taken them out and put back
and the other time rubbing them with a pencil eraser.
I am not the smartest when it comes to checking stuff, but I will do my
best to check for the AC ripple on the gameboard. I check the RAM
chips correct? Is there a idiots guide to doing this somewhere?
As soon as I get my parts delivered I will dig out the game and start
checking it out.
Thanks for all the help Bret.

mudmantim wrote:
> The story:
> I won the game, went to get the game, got it home and it worked
> everytime it was turned on. (I know we shouldn't, but we leave our
> games on, pretty much, all the time.) Well, after about a week or so,
> we got up and it was garbage. The games I get for me never fail, the
> ones we get for her ALWAYS fail. And that is how it became the way it
> is. The previous owner told me that it never did this as long as he
> owned it, and I believe him. He's a good guy.
> It has a switching power supply hooked up also. I replaced that one
> with 2 new ones and I get the same thing.
> I have reseated the ROMs twice, once just taken them out and put back
> and the other time rubbing them with a pencil eraser.
> I am not the smartest when it comes to checking stuff, but I will do my
> best to check for the AC ripple on the gameboard. I check the RAM
> chips correct? Is there a idiots guide to doing this somewhere?
> As soon as I get my parts delivered I will dig out the game and start
> checking it out.
> Thanks for all the help Bret.

You can check for AC ripple anywhere.

Check the voltages at the chips themselves or at test points on the gameboard.
If checking at the chip, make sure that you don't short any pins when testing
w/ the probe tip.

I'm starting to suspect that you have oxidized wiring/connectors and/or a
bad/dying filter board like you suspected. You should be able to narrow it
down by checking the voltages, or similarly checking resistance between points
(check voltages w/ game on, check resistance w/ game off & unplugged). 3 ohms
is the max resistance that you should see between source and sink, more than
that will be a problem.

Got the new, to me, parts. Tried both, guaranteed working, filter
boards and still the same thing.
Where is the +5v test point on this board? I have the schematics but
still can't seem to find it. I have +5v at my switching power supply.
As for ground, I can use ground on the switching power supply or the
yellow grounding straps correct?
Thanks.
-Tim

mudmantim wrote:
> Got the new, to me, parts. Tried both, guaranteed working, filter
> boards and still the same thing.
> Where is the +5v test point on this board? I have the schematics but
> still can't seem to find it. I have +5v at my switching power supply.
> As for ground, I can use ground on the switching power supply or the
> yellow grounding straps correct?
> Thanks.
> -Tim

I don't think that there are specific test points (I don't recall and I don't
have the schems in front of me). Just look over the schematic and follow the
5v traces from the connector and pick a good point at the leg of a chip.
Either ground will work, but I'd start w/ the ground on the PS in case you have
a grounding issue as well.

Halleluiah!!!
It is fixed... for now. Hopefully for a good long while.
It ended up being a 10 amp fuse on the bottom panel assembly. And the
funny thing is, when it first turned to garbage, I changed ALL the
fuses on the game with new, just purchased, ones.
I am just learning how to use a multi-meter and I figured that I would
check the fuses just to be sure and BINGO, there it was.
I should get laid tonight for sure.
Thanks for all your help Bret.
These multi-meters are amazing, maybe I should learn how to use one.
If only I could read schematics, I would be deadly.
Well, on to the next project.
Thanks again Bret.
-Tim

mudmantim wrote:
> Halleluiah!!!
> It is fixed... for now. Hopefully for a good long while.
> It ended up being a 10 amp fuse on the bottom panel assembly. And the
> funny thing is, when it first turned to garbage, I changed ALL the
> fuses on the game with new, just purchased, ones.
> I am just learning how to use a multi-meter and I figured that I would
> check the fuses just to be sure and BINGO, there it was.
> I should get laid tonight for sure.
> Thanks for all your help Bret.
> These multi-meters are amazing, maybe I should learn how to use one.
> If only I could read schematics, I would be deadly.
> Well, on to the next project.
> Thanks again Bret.
> -Tim

Glad to hear it!

This Damn game, I tell ya.
It made it a whopping 6 or so hours and now I have no picture. Game is
still there, I can play it.
I have power getting to the chassis.
Fuse is good.
All lights are lit up on the power supply.
I have no neck glow, no hum, nothing.
I hate this game.
This is going to get me in so much trouble, I can just hear it now:
"Get that game out of here, I don't want to see it again until it is
FIXED!!"
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
"Frustrated and Confused" -Tim

Update:
Fixed, again.
The flyback died, I believe. Put in a recently serviced chassis and
there the game was.
What next?
-Tim