buying qiestion

I want to buy a new computer and I've been shopping around.

So far I'm down to Dell and Alienware for my pc. I don't know of any other
reputable companies. My question is it generally cheaper to build your own
computer. I like the idea of putting in the components that I choose.

Lordmajax
9 answers Last reply
More about buying qiestion

    Hi, I would say that years ago, it was cheaper to buy the comps and
    asssemble it yourself. As prices started dropping on computers, I know
    it is cheaper to buy.

    LAst year I bought a DELL 2400, 40G HDD, 256 ram, Pentium 4, 2.4g
    processor, with a DVD player, a CD ROM player and burner, WIN XP which
    is $100 alone, speakers, keyboard, mouse and freebie software.

    IF you find a discount place where you can buy EVERYTHING in the same
    place, you MAY come out ahead....but once you start paying for shipping
    and handling to two or three different suppliers, there go your
    savings.

    OH..with the Del; I got HOME REPAIR service for one year! Try that
    anywhere you even bring in a PC for service...the bench/diagnost charge
    is $60., plus repairs!

    And here's the pies de resistance.....At the time Dell offered FREE
    shipping and no tax.

    Not sure you can et same deal anywhere else. Ooops, no monitir
    included.

    I added 256 ram and an 80G drive that I had in my parts box and I have
    a lean, mean, PC machine!

    But there's always that feeling of buildong your own and it just
    doesn't go away. I built three! Too late now!

    Think about it!

    Mike

    Don't build your own system to save money because that won't happen.

    Build your own to:
    1. Learn
    2. To get the specific parts and capability you want (video card, disk
    shadowing, good LCD, etc)

    Just what will you be doing with the system? Basic stuff or high end
    gaming?

    If you decide to build your own make sure you heavily research the
    components and potential compatibility issues (motherboard, memory & video
    card in particular). Take your time and do a lot of reading. I built my
    own system and it is rock solid, fast, etc. and I attribute that to many
    hours of reading about what I was going to use to build the system.

    "Lordmajax" <anon@where.com> wrote in message
    > I want to buy a new computer and I've been shopping around.
    >
    > So far I'm down to Dell and Alienware for my pc. I don't know of any other
    > reputable companies. My question is it generally cheaper to build your own
    > computer. I like the idea of putting in the components that I choose.
    >
    > Lordmajax

    Nice computer Mike, but you never said how much you paid for it, thus the
    point was lost.

    --James--

    Hi, I would say that years ago, it was cheaper to buy the comps and
    asssemble it yourself. As prices started dropping on computers, I know
    it is cheaper to buy.

    LAst year I bought a DELL 2400, 40G HDD, 256 ram, Pentium 4, 2.4g
    processor, with a DVD player, a CD ROM player and burner, WIN XP which
    is $100 alone, speakers, keyboard, mouse and freebie software.

    IF you find a discount place where you can buy EVERYTHING in the same
    place, you MAY come out ahead....but once you start paying for shipping
    and handling to two or three different suppliers, there go your
    savings.

    OH..with the Del; I got HOME REPAIR service for one year! Try that
    anywhere you even bring in a PC for service...the bench/diagnost charge
    is $60., plus repairs!

    And here's the pies de resistance.....At the time Dell offered FREE
    shipping and no tax.

    Not sure you can et same deal anywhere else. Ooops, no monitir
    included.

    I added 256 ram and an 80G drive that I had in my parts box and I have
    a lean, mean, PC machine!

    But there's always that feeling of buildong your own and it just
    doesn't go away. I built three! Too late now!

    Think about it!

    Mike

    "Lordmajax" <anon@where.com> wrote in message
    >I want to buy a new computer and I've been shopping around.
    >
    > So far I'm down to Dell and Alienware for my pc. I don't know of any other
    > reputable companies. My question is it generally cheaper to build your own
    > computer. I like the idea of putting in the components that I choose.
    >
    > Lordmajax

    If you want to put in your own components then you build your own.

    If you buy from *any* pc manufacturer then you're limiting yourself to
    whatever they've got on their production line.

    In that respect, Dell are no different to anyone else.

    Lordmajax wrote:
    > I want to buy a new computer and I've been shopping around.
    >
    > So far I'm down to Dell and Alienware for my pc. I don't know of any other
    > reputable companies. My question is it generally cheaper to build your own
    > computer. I like the idea of putting in the components that I choose.
    >
    > Lordmajax

    Lordmajax;

    Today, the only way that it is "cheaper" to build your own system is if
    you buy only the cheapest of components. I used to exclusively build my
    own systems, but these days you just cannot do it and beat the prices
    offered by companies like Dell. Not to mention, most people who tout
    that they can build a system cheaper are forgetting to mention things
    like speakers, keyboards, mice, operating systems, etc.

    It used to also be that pre-buit computers stuck you with many
    integrated components that just weren't very good. While you can get
    integrated components with a Dell, almost every component can be
    replaced and frequently with some of the most popular brands/models on
    the market (Sound Blaster Audigy 2, GeForce 6800 and ATI Radeon X850 XT)

    As an example, I just purchased a Dimension 8400 from Dell. I went out
    to www.newegg.com (which I find has very good prices and fantastic
    service) and priced out the components and came up with the following;

    P4 at 3.2 $223
    2 x 512MB PC4200 $250
    160GB Seagate with NCQ $112
    Liteon DVD 16X ROM $25
    256MB PCI Express GeForce 6800 $335
    17" LCD Monitor $250
    Windows XP Pro with SP2 $279
    SB Audigy 2 ZS $70

    When you add all that up, it comes to $1544. Keep in mind, that price
    does not include (ALL OF WHICH CAME WITH MY NEW DELL).
    ---motherboard
    ---keyboard,
    ---mouse
    ---case
    ---power supply
    ---10/100/1000 NIC
    ---56k modem
    ---8 USB 2.0 ports

    ****you are looking at an additional $200-$300 for all of these items to
    get what Dell gives you.

    So, if we add an additional $200 to the $1544 above, we come out to
    $1744 for the whole system.

    Well, Dell shipped it to me for $1310. That's nearly $500 less than it
    would have cost me to build it myself

    Thanks for all the help and responses. I'm sorry I didn't give you guys too
    much info. at the time I was pretty tired. I've decided to buy a xps 4th gen
    model. I do pretty much everything on my pc. I e-mail, do school work, play
    a couple of video games, etc... I definitely need more memory. I have 512MB
    of memory. I have an extra question if that's okay. What's the best dell
    flat screen monitor in all of your opinion? I'm going to say 19-inches.
    Another problem I have is that people on a couple of websites are saying
    that Dell PC's are generic. I understand where they're coming from, but are
    there any other companies besides Alienware.com that are as well known?

    Lordmajax

    http://www.falcon-nw.com/

    "Lordmajax" <anon@where.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks for all the help and responses. I'm sorry I didn't give you guys
    > too
    > much info. at the time I was pretty tired. I've decided to buy a xps 4th
    > gen
    > model. I do pretty much everything on my pc. I e-mail, do school work,
    > play
    > a couple of video games, etc... I definitely need more memory. I have
    > 512MB
    > of memory. I have an extra question if that's okay. What's the best dell
    > flat screen monitor in all of your opinion? I'm going to say 19-inches.
    > Another problem I have is that people on a couple of websites are saying
    > that Dell PC's are generic. I understand where they're coming from, but
    > are
    > there any other companies besides Alienware.com that are as well known?
    >
    > Lordmajax

    The best LCD monitor is the Samsung 213T. 21 inches. Unbelieveable.

    I'm typing on mine, which is sitting next to my new E193P. A fine monitor
    for $324 (I know it is the entry level model), but the Samsung is stunning.

    Tom

    Reply to message from anon@where.com(Lordmajax) (Sat, 05 Feb 2005 18:59:54)
    about "buying qiestion":

    if you don´t kmow reputable co,panies like HP or IBM, you should not think
    of building your own computer.....

    Bye
    Thomas Lenné <tlenne@go.com> Mon, 07 Feb 2005 08:57:45 +0200

    I want to buy a new computer and I've been shopping around.

    So far I'm down to Dell and Alienware for my pc. I don't know of any other
    reputable companies. My question is it generally cheaper to build your own
    computer. I like the idea of putting in the components that I choose.

    Lordmajax

Dell Computer Computers