Please help with Internet Problems in Windows XP

April 12, 2005 4:49:33 PM

Hi a friend of mine has the following problems with Windows XP home
and the internet.
Due to the son visiting undesirable site the computer became full of
lots of rubbish and various spyware and adware. Various programs have
been used to remove most if not all of the offending material, and the
computer now starts and runs without any of the problems it had
before. The problem is to do with the internet. We are able to connect
ok but when trying to use Internet Explore, Outlook Express and using
the various update facilities in various programs such as virus
programs, it will not let us connect to any of the places it needs to
go. I have done a complete scan of the hard disk using the latest AVG
and it found about 100 problems including various types of Trojan
diallers all of which were removed by the program. Even after doing
this it will still not connect to anything once we have logged into
the Internet provider.
Can anybody help me sort this out or will it require a complete
reinstall of everything.
If I have to do a complete re-install how do I do a complete re-format
of the hard disk to complete remove everything on it before
reinstalling Windows XP. She has the original Windows XP home cd.
Thanks in advance.
Tony

PS We also have a problem with the browser wanting to go to a site
called martfinder.com but I have already found out how to remove this
using Hijack This and/or Coolwebshredder. If I ran these programs
would it solve our problems.
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 4:49:34 PM

Before you go the reinstall route you might want to download the
following two programs and see if they fix the internet problem:

WinSock XP Fix

LSPFix
http://www.spychecker.com/program/lspfix.html

If you still can't resolve the problem, here are some articles
that might help you with reinstalling Windows XP:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q315341&ID=KB;EN-US;Q315341

Clean Install Windows XP

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/h...

--
Nepatsfan
"Tony" <hamsatuk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi a friend of mine has the following problems with Windows XP
> home
> and the internet.
> Due to the son visiting undesirable site the computer became
> full of
> lots of rubbish and various spyware and adware. Various
> programs have
> been used to remove most if not all of the offending material,
> and the
> computer now starts and runs without any of the problems it had
> before. The problem is to do with the internet. We are able to
> connect
> ok but when trying to use Internet Explore, Outlook Express and
> using
> the various update facilities in various programs such as virus
> programs, it will not let us connect to any of the places it
> needs to
> go. I have done a complete scan of the hard disk using the
> latest AVG
> and it found about 100 problems including various types of
> Trojan
> diallers all of which were removed by the program. Even after
> doing
> this it will still not connect to anything once we have logged
> into
> the Internet provider.
> Can anybody help me sort this out or will it require a complete
> reinstall of everything.
> If I have to do a complete re-install how do I do a complete
> re-format
> of the hard disk to complete remove everything on it before
> reinstalling Windows XP. She has the original Windows XP home
> cd.
> Thanks in advance.
> Tony
>
> PS We also have a problem with the browser wanting to go to a
> site
> called martfinder.com but I have already found out how to
> remove this
> using Hijack This and/or Coolwebshredder. If I ran these
> programs
> would it solve our problems.

Anonymous
April 12, 2005 4:49:34 PM

If you are getting redirected to that martfinder site then you definately
still have spyware. Run Hijack This in safe mode and that should help clear
things up. That might also help you solve your current problem. Also check
the add/remove programs for something called new.net domains and remove that.
Not all spyware will find that. 3rd thing you can also do, before running
hijack this in safe mode is to disable System Restore. Spyware programs like
to leave sleepers in places like that so even if you think you've removed the
spyware, on next reboot it rebuilds itself. I hate spyware and the people who
write it.

!