memory is dangerously low....(FM 2005)

Hi,

Something is seriously wrong with either my computer or with FM 2005.
After I've loaded my saved game I get the following message "memory is
dangerously low. Please exit the game and free more memory" .

My computer is a Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz
512 MB ram-memory

Please help.

Cheers,
Ronald Scholman
14 answers Last reply
More about memory dangerously 2005

    Ronald Scholman wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Something is seriously wrong with either my computer or with FM 2005.
    > After I've loaded my saved game I get the following message "memory is
    > dangerously low. Please exit the game and free more memory" .
    >
    > My computer is a Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz
    > 512 MB ram-memory
    >
    > Please help.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Ronald Scholman

    Could it mean that you don't have enough room on your HD to load up the
    game?

    --

    "The first time you face up to a googly you're going to be in trouble if
    you've never faced one before" - Trevor Bailey

    Ronald Scholman wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Something is seriously wrong with either my computer or with FM 2005.
    > After I've loaded my saved game I get the following message "memory is
    > dangerously low. Please exit the game and free more memory" .
    >
    > My computer is a Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz
    > 512 MB ram-memory
    >
    > Please help.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Ronald Scholman

    Packed hard drive??

    sorry, but I don't know what you mean by packed hard drive.

    Ronald
    > Packed hard drive??

    the game is loaded and I get the message when the game says "processing"
    after I pressed continue a few times.

    > Could it mean that you don't have enough room on your HD to load up the
    > game?

    On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 21:31:55 +0100, "Ronald Scholman"
    <ronald.scholman@wanadoo.nl> wrote:

    >sorry, but I don't know what you mean by packed hard drive.
    >
    >Ronald
    >> Packed hard drive??

    An almost full HD (out of space).

    -Nick

    I don't think that's the problem.
    My HD has 3 partitions (boot C, backup D, recover E), and FM is on the
    c-partition which has a size of 93,1 GB and has 35,3 GB space available.

    Ronald

    Ronald Scholman wrote:
    > I don't think that's the problem.
    > My HD has 3 partitions (boot C, backup D, recover E), and FM is on the
    > c-partition which has a size of 93,1 GB and has 35,3 GB space
    > available.
    >
    > Ronald
    >>>

    >> An almost full HD (out of space).
    >>
    >> -Nick

    Are you running Windows XP (or 2000)
    How big is your pagefile? (Start menu - control panel - system - advanced
    tab - click the first settings box under performance - advanced tab - under
    virtual memory at the bottom should say 'Total paging file size for all
    drives' how much does it say is there, should be about ~1 1/2 times your
    physical RAM.) Also check how much RAM Windows is detecting System
    Properties go to the general tab and near the computer should say computer:
    Processor Name (i.e. AMD Athlon XP 2500+) Speed, (779MHz) and then how much
    RAM windows has detected.

    Do any other programs have a problem?

    Are you running any other programs with FM2005.

    Check how much memory FM is using via task manager. Right click taskbar -
    click task manager under the processes tab look for FM2005.exe and see how
    much memory it is usisng should generaly be about the same as your save
    files, also check to see if any other processes are using much memory.

    Failing that defrag your hard drive, it might have a problem accessing the
    temporay files when its working.

    If none of that works restart your computer and try again, if that doesn't
    reinstall Football Manager elsewhere, might be some problems with the
    install or that part of the disk.

    --
    Michael Murray

    "Ronald Scholman" <ronald.scholman@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Something is seriously wrong with either my computer or with FM 2005.
    > After I've loaded my saved game I get the following message "memory is
    > dangerously low. Please exit the game and free more memory" .
    >
    > My computer is a Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz
    > 512 MB ram-memory
    >
    > Please help.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Ronald Scholman

    ok unless you only had 100 mb left on your hdd, it isnt that

    you say you have 512 MB ram

    thats enough, press alt ctrl delete

    press performance tab (if in win XP)

    look at physical memory

    total for me is 523760K

    is about 512 MB

    look at the amount of memory available if it is less than 158000 then maybe
    you should get more RAM

    as someone else stated the page file or virtual memory may be low

    to get to page file

    right click my computer, click properties

    click Advanced tab

    in perfoamce click settings

    click the advanced tab a page file of about 800 MB should suffice

    ou dont want a large page file (Virtual Memory)

    if you have a large page file the it is slower than main memory because main
    memory is well.. fast, hdd is slow, it must go through the IDE bus to the
    processor, where as main memory has its own bus to the CPU

    so 800 MB virtual memory and erm if the problem persists, notch it up, if it
    persists when the Page file is over 1500 MB then seriously, buy some more
    memory.

    FM2005 is a memory chugging beast of a game, the interface is graphically
    rich and will probably use alot of memory if you have integrated graphics

    other than that perhaps you should try creating a game with a "small db"

    HTH

    chris

    > Are you running Windows XP (or 2000)

    I'm running Windows XP (only SP 1)

    > How big is your pagefile?

    4095 MB. I tried lots of different sizes. (From 512 till 4095)

    how much
    > RAM windows has detected.

    512 MB

    > Do any other programs have a problem?

    No

    > Are you running any other programs with FM2005.

    Outlook express (but without outlook express running I have the same
    problem)
    The computeris in a network, but that shouldn't be a problem (I hope)

    > Check how much memory FM is using via task manager. see how
    > much memory it is usisng

    aprox. 275.000 kb (fm2005.exe)

    should generaly be about the same as your save
    > files,

    Where can I find the save files in the task manager? Is ~e5.0001 a save
    file?? It uses 2.612 kb

    I have 9 save files. Should I delete some files?

    also check to see if any other processes are using much memory.

    > Failing that defrag your hard drive>

    I did and it didn't help

    > If none of that works restart your computer and try again, if that doesn't

    No, I'm afraid that doesn't help

    > reinstall Football Manager elsewhere, might be some problems with the
    > install or that part of the disk.

    Only if nothing else helps
    > --
    > Michael Murray

    BTW Can I copy everything from the C-partition to the D-partition of the HD?

    Ronald Scholman wrote:
    >> Are you running Windows XP (or 2000)
    >
    > I'm running Windows XP (only SP 1)
    >
    >> How big is your pagefile?
    >
    > 4095 MB. I tried lots of different sizes. (From 512 till 4095)

    It looks like the game is having a problem detecting/using your pagefile
    then, you'd be best off dropping your pagefile down to ~750mb or let XP
    manage it itself (You could try puting the pagefile on a different partition
    if your hard drive is partitioned)

    >> Are you running any other programs with FM2005.
    >
    > Outlook express (but without outlook express running I have the same
    > problem)
    > The computeris in a network, but that shouldn't be a problem (I hope)

    Is your Antivirus software using many resources while FM's running? (Though
    this would just cause the game to run slower and jittery rather than give
    memory errors)

    >> Check how much memory FM is using via task manager. see how
    >> much memory it is usisng
    >
    > aprox. 275.000 kb (fm2005.exe)
    >
    > should generaly be about the same as your save
    >> files,
    >
    > Where can I find the save files in the task manager? Is ~e5.0001 a
    > save file?? It uses 2.612 kb

    Sorry, just check how big the save files are on your hard drive, when the
    game is running it generaly loads up the data in the save file to RAM/temp
    folder. So if your save file was 100mb then FM would generaly use at least
    100mb of RAM.

    > I have 9 save files. Should I delete some files?

    Nope the save files on there own shouldn't cause any problems (unless you
    are trying to run 9 instances of FM :-) )

    > BTW Can I copy everything from the C-partition to the D-partition of
    > the HD?

    No, you can copy over individual files such as your my documents files, but
    if you move any programs or windows files you'll break them. It is possible
    (well was for CM03/04 anyway) to move the FM folder from the C partition
    without having to uninstall and reinstall it.

    Are you using patch 5.0.2? And have you tried looking on www.sigames.com
    forums for people with similar problems?

    --
    Michael Murray

    > It looks like the game is having a problem detecting/using your pagefile
    > then, you'd be best off dropping your pagefile down to ~750mb or let XP
    > manage it itself (You could try puting the pagefile on a different
    partition
    > if your hard drive is partitioned)

    Tried that too, but same result

    Decided to give up.

    I'll start a new game.

    Thanks for the help!

    Cheers,
    Ronald Scholman

    One more question. Can I put a save game temporarily somewhere elese on the
    HD and put itback when I've installed FM again?

    Ok, just one more: wherecan I find the save games?

    Ronald

    Ronald Scholman wrote:
    > One more question. Can I put a save game temporarily somewhere elese
    > on the HD and put itback when I've installed FM again?

    Yes you can

    > Ok, just one more: wherecan I find the save games?
    >
    > Ronald

    My Documents>Sports Interactive>FM2005

    Cheers

    Hamish

    --
    Go Strugglers

    Hamish wrote:
    > Ronald Scholman wrote:
    >> One more question. Can I put a save game temporarily somewhere elese
    >> on the HD and put itback when I've installed FM again?
    >
    > Yes you can
    >

    >> Ok, just one more: wherecan I find the save games?
    >>
    >> Ronald
    >
    > My Documents>Sports Interactive>FM2005

    You should also be able to leave it where you have moved it and when you
    goto load game just browse to where you've moved the save game and it should
    load (and FM should remember where it is in future)

    --
    Michael Murray

Games Computers Memory Video Games