Sign in with
Your question

You need to format the disk drive before you can use it

Last response: in Windows 7
June 23, 2010 4:43:00 PM

every time i plug in usb flash drive or any memory card wif card reader or psp or camera into my pc wif windows7 OS, it also show me this msg..."you need to format the disk drive before you can use it"
but when i plug it into my laptop, then it can work correctly...
when those usb flash drive in my laptop, the format will b FAT32 or NTSF but
when it is in my desktop, it will bcome RAW...

i tried to use 1 of my pendrive format it in my desktop, after tat it can work properly & format bcome NTFS...
but problem is, i cant format every of my memory card tat only cant work on this desktop but work on other pc...

how to solve it??? is it virus???
help pls... thx

More about : format disk drive

July 28, 2010 5:16:10 PM

i am having the same issue for more than a month now. it occurs with usb flash drives and sd cards but not with usb harddisks. has anyone found a solution or the cause?
thx
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 28, 2010 6:06:48 PM

This happened to me with SD cards on one of my two Win7 PCs. For me, the laptop's card reader turned out to be faulty.
So, what you guys are saying is that the cards formatted on one computer aren't recognized as being formatted by the Win7 computer? But you are able to format them on the Win7 computer and then they work in any device?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 28, 2010 9:43:58 PM

Bolbi said:
This happened to me with SD cards on one of my two Win7 PCs. For me, the laptop's card reader turned out to be faulty.
So, what you guys are saying is that the cards formatted on one computer aren't recognized as being formatted by the Win7 computer? But you are able to format them on the Win7 computer and then they work in any device?

I wouldn't recomend formatting SD cards used in cameras and mobile phones with W7, generally these devices recommend them them to be formatted in the device in which they are to be used in.
Personally I've never had a problem with any sd card or usb stick I have used on my pc in W7 or in Vista before it.
I've had cause to use sd cards from a number of different cameras to get the photos off for friends that either don't have a pc or are lacking in the use of them.
m
l
Related resources
!