Registry Corruption

April 12, 2005 2:24:02 PM

I tried to follow this article:

"How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry That Prevents Windows XP from
Starting"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307545

because my system gives me the error "Windows could not start because the
folowing file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM".
However, I can't complete this procedure because when I go to make the
temporary directory (Part 1 step 5: 'md tmp'), it returns ACCESS DENIED. I
removed the Administrator Password on my last successful logon, and am
running two hard-drives in a RAID Array, would these things affect the
Recovery Console?

Also, from the Recovery Console command prompt, the DIR command on the
hard-drive fails, and it won't list the files/folders on the c:\ drive. I'd
really like to recover the system, but would settle for getting access to my
c:\ drive to recover some files that I need and then formatting the
hard-drive and reinstalling XP.

Any help is appreciated,
Justin

More about : registry corruption

April 12, 2005 6:14:12 PM

Don't know about the "ACCESS DENIED" problem, but I am dealing with registry
corruption myself right now (see the message that I just posted) and I have
used that article (307545) successfully before. Even if you cannot make a
tmp directory, you can copy the current registry files into the windows
directory if you name them appropriately and make sure to write down which
registry files are named what. Of course, the fact that you got an "ACCESS
DENIED" message suggests that you may have other problems executing commands
later in the article's suggested process.

On your second issue, Recovery Console does not give you access to all files
on the drive, only particular directories includes the SystemRoot directory.
I don't remember which directories are included off the top of my head, but I
know that it is limited.

"Justin" wrote:

> I tried to follow this article:
>
> "How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry That Prevents Windows XP from
> Starting"
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307545
>
> because my system gives me the error "Windows could not start because the
> folowing file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM".
> However, I can't complete this procedure because when I go to make the
> temporary directory (Part 1 step 5: 'md tmp'), it returns ACCESS DENIED. I
> removed the Administrator Password on my last successful logon, and am
> running two hard-drives in a RAID Array, would these things affect the
> Recovery Console?
>
> Also, from the Recovery Console command prompt, the DIR command on the
> hard-drive fails, and it won't list the files/folders on the c:\ drive. I'd
> really like to recover the system, but would settle for getting access to my
> c:\ drive to recover some files that I need and then formatting the
> hard-drive and reinstalling XP.
>
> Any help is appreciated,
> Justin
April 12, 2005 6:21:51 PM

Did some looking and I believe that article 307654 addresses your second
issue. If you type:
set
in Recovery Console it should list the values of your environmental
variables including AllowAllPaths and AllowRemovableMedia. Those both start
as False, but I assume that you will want to change them to True using set so
you can pull files off folders other than the system installation and copy
them to removable media.

!