Ethernet to USB is very slow..help?

When I send data over ethernet to a drive running on the USB 2.0 its very
slow. This is PC to PC over 100baseT wired home LAN to do disk backups.
The slowness occurs in the translation from 10baseT100 to the USB 2.0 and
the CPU is 100% utilized.

Are there cards that offload the CPU processing needed to do this
translation?

I have a PCI combo card (w/firewire), brand new installed.

The following clues narrow the problem down to the USB to ethernet
conversion as the problem.:

PC to PC over ethernet from installed HD to installed HD is very fast.
PC from its own C: drive to the USB 2.0 drive is very fast.
but when do PC to PC over ethernet to save data on theh USB 2.0 drive its
very very slow...like 5x slower then drive C: to USB 2.0.

Any thoughts?

Right. USB and Ethernet are a shotgun marriage, to be used only when absolutely
no other option exists... Ben Myers

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 09:40:24 -0800, "jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote:

>When I send data over ethernet to a drive running on the USB 2.0 its very
>slow. This is PC to PC over 100baseT wired home LAN to do disk backups.
>The slowness occurs in the translation from 10baseT100 to the USB 2.0 and
>the CPU is 100% utilized.
>
>Are there cards that offload the CPU processing needed to do this
>translation?
>
> I have a PCI combo card (w/firewire), brand new installed.
>
>The following clues narrow the problem down to the USB to ethernet
>conversion as the problem.:
>
>PC to PC over ethernet from installed HD to installed HD is very fast.
>PC from its own C: drive to the USB 2.0 drive is very fast.
>but when do PC to PC over ethernet to save data on theh USB 2.0 drive its
>very very slow...like 5x slower then drive C: to USB 2.0.
>
>Any thoughts?

thats actually good to know....so I dont have to keep going down this path.
I can get another large drive and just install in the PC and use it for
backups.
> Right. USB and Ethernet are a shotgun marriage, to be used only when
> absolutely
> no other option exists... Ben Myers
>
> On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 09:40:24 -0800, "jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>When I send data over ethernet to a drive running on the USB 2.0 its very
>>slow. This is PC to PC over 100baseT wired home LAN to do disk backups.
>>The slowness occurs in the translation from 10baseT100 to the USB 2.0 and
>>the CPU is 100% utilized.
>>
>>Are there cards that offload the CPU processing needed to do this
>>translation?
>>
>> I have a PCI combo card (w/firewire), brand new installed.
>>
>>The following clues narrow the problem down to the USB to ethernet
>>conversion as the problem.:
>>
>>PC to PC over ethernet from installed HD to installed HD is very fast.
>>PC from its own C: drive to the USB 2.0 drive is very fast.
>>but when do PC to PC over ethernet to save data on theh USB 2.0 drive its
>>very very slow...like 5x slower then drive C: to USB 2.0.
>>
>>Any thoughts?

is Firewire the same issue? Would a Firewire drive work a lot faster as
Ethernet to firewire or not use 100% of CPU for that?

thanks!

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) top-posted:
>Right. USB and Ethernet are a shotgun marriage, to be used only when absolutely
>no other option exists... Ben Myers

Yeah, but why is it slow? Something broken in WinDoze?

My best guess is poor design at the chip level or in the glue logic between USB
and Ethernet. Could be poorly written drivers, too.

USB has been hyped as the UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS (it's name), hence the
replacement for just about any other connector you want. At least USB 2.0 comes
closer to that promise. "Legacy-free" computers successfully replace parallel,
serial, PS/2 keyboard, PS/2 mouse, PC Card (or Cardbus or PCMCIA) interfaces
with one single physical interface. Not a bad accomplishment, really. And
USB-attached external devices such as hard drives and CD/DVD burners work
respectably. Possibly the issue with USB Ethernet is the much less controllable
and often downright kinky timing of network transmissions. The other named USB
device types are really slow (mouse, keyboard) or they have predictable timing
characteristics.

If I had spare time or someone would pay me a lotta money, I could do some
network traffic analysis of USB Ethernet devices and see what is really going on
there. Could be lots of retransmitted packets if the USB and software driver
together do not respond to a network transmission quickly enough... Ben Myers

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:
>My best guess is poor design at the chip level or in the glue logic between USB
>and Ethernet. Could be poorly written drivers, too.

The OP doesn't have a USB Ethernet connector, he's got a computer with
a USB drive and an Ethernet port, and copying files to the USB drive
is the slow part, but only when they are coming off the Ethernet...

thats correct
<William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
> ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:
>>My best guess is poor design at the chip level or in the glue logic
>>between USB
>>and Ethernet. Could be poorly written drivers, too.
>
> The OP doesn't have a USB Ethernet connector, he's got a computer with
> a USB drive and an Ethernet port, and copying files to the USB drive
> is the slow part, but only when they are coming off the Ethernet...

Hi!

> The OP doesn't have a USB Ethernet connector, he's got a computer with
> a USB drive and an Ethernet port, and copying files to the USB drive
> is the slow part, but only when they are coming off the Ethernet...

I'm going to go way out on a limb here and suggest that since both functions
could be built into the system's chipset (at the very least the USB probably
is this way...) maybe the chipset isn't capable of running both functions at
once because of its design or the way it is implemented on the motherboard.

As other have suggested bad drivers could be the issue.

I have seen crippled hardware implementations cause similar problems though.

William

"William R. Walsh" <newsgroups1@saveyourspam.walshcomptech.com> wrote in
message news:QddNd.52088$eT5.26819@attbi_s51...
> Hi!
>
>> The OP doesn't have a USB Ethernet connector, he's got a computer with
>> a USB drive and an Ethernet port, and copying files to the USB drive
>> is the slow part, but only when they are coming off the Ethernet...
>
> I'm going to go way out on a limb here and suggest that since both
> functions
> could be built into the system's chipset (at the very least the USB
> probably
> is this way...) maybe the chipset isn't capable of running both functions
> at
> once because of its design or the way it is implemented on the
> motherboard.
>
> As other have suggested bad drivers could be the issue.
>
> I have seen crippled hardware implementations cause similar problems
> though.
>
> William

Probably not. I run backups over my gigabit lan and they are significantly
slower when the destination drive is USB2. The USB2 ports are on the
motherboard, but the Gigabit adapter is a PCI card.

Tom