MN-500 Configured as Bridge

I configured my MN-500 as a bridge in order to connect to my existing
network. All has been working fine BUT I didn't add a WEP when installing it
the first time.

Now I was trying to reset the base station to the original MS configuration
-- since when we configure it to be a bridge the Base Station Management Tool
is not available -- in order to set up a WEP and reconfigure it as a bridge.

I already pressed the 'reset' button and connected an ethernet cable from
port 1 into my computer but when I type 192.168.2.1 to get to the Management
Tool, the browser does not find it... I cannot ping to that address either
(unreached comes back as the response).

What should I do? How can I bring the Tool back? Is there any other way to
set up a WEP key?

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Disconnect all the other cables from MN-500 (except the power) and then press
the reset button for 15-20 seconds and then release. Note while you hold the
button, the power light should turn orange & green. After this again connect
the computer to any ports 1 to 4 and see if you can access management tool by
putting 192.168.2.1 on the address bar of the IE.

"Marcia B." wrote:

> I configured my MN-500 as a bridge in order to connect to my existing
> network. All has been working fine BUT I didn't add a WEP when installing it
> the first time.
>
> Now I was trying to reset the base station to the original MS configuration
> -- since when we configure it to be a bridge the Base Station Management Tool
> is not available -- in order to set up a WEP and reconfigure it as a bridge.
>
> I already pressed the 'reset' button and connected an ethernet cable from
> port 1 into my computer but when I type 192.168.2.1 to get to the Management
> Tool, the browser does not find it... I cannot ping to that address either
> (unreached comes back as the response).
>
> What should I do? How can I bring the Tool back? Is there any other way to
> set up a WEP key?

Pressing the reset button for 15 secs did the trick. Thank you!

Marcia

"Eric" wrote:

> Disconnect all the other cables from MN-500 (except the power) and then press
> the reset button for 15-20 seconds and then release. Note while you hold the
> button, the power light should turn orange & green. After this again connect
> the computer to any ports 1 to 4 and see if you can access management tool by
> putting 192.168.2.1 on the address bar of the IE.
>
> "Marcia B." wrote:
>
> > I configured my MN-500 as a bridge in order to connect to my existing
> > network. All has been working fine BUT I didn't add a WEP when installing it
> > the first time.
> >
> > Now I was trying to reset the base station to the original MS configuration
> > -- since when we configure it to be a bridge the Base Station Management Tool
> > is not available -- in order to set up a WEP and reconfigure it as a bridge.
> >
> > I already pressed the 'reset' button and connected an ethernet cable from
> > port 1 into my computer but when I type 192.168.2.1 to get to the Management
> > Tool, the browser does not find it... I cannot ping to that address either
> > (unreached comes back as the response).
> >
> > What should I do? How can I bring the Tool back? Is there any other way to
> > set up a WEP key?

OK. Now security is on and I can see and connect to the wireless network.
However, I cannot get to the internet... If I use the neighbor's (unsecured)
wireless network, I can access the internet.

Is there any configuration option that I need to change if I go through a
router when using security?

What I currently have: MN-500 (with security enabled) set up as a bridge;
the ethernet cable goes from the "to modem" to the ethernet router port; the
router is the DHCP server; the DSL modem is connected to the router.

Before setting up security, the machines using wireless connection had
access to the internet.
From the machines connected to the router (using ethernet cable) I still
have access to the internet.

What am I missing now?

Marcia

"Eric" wrote:

> Disconnect all the other cables from MN-500 (except the power) and then press
> the reset button for 15-20 seconds and then release. Note while you hold the
> button, the power light should turn orange & green. After this again connect
> the computer to any ports 1 to 4 and see if you can access management tool by
> putting 192.168.2.1 on the address bar of the IE.
>
> "Marcia B." wrote:
>
> > I configured my MN-500 as a bridge in order to connect to my existing
> > network. All has been working fine BUT I didn't add a WEP when installing it
> > the first time.
> >
> > Now I was trying to reset the base station to the original MS configuration
> > -- since when we configure it to be a bridge the Base Station Management Tool
> > is not available -- in order to set up a WEP and reconfigure it as a bridge.
> >
> > I already pressed the 'reset' button and connected an ethernet cable from
> > port 1 into my computer but when I type 192.168.2.1 to get to the Management
> > Tool, the browser does not find it... I cannot ping to that address either
> > (unreached comes back as the response).
> >
> > What should I do? How can I bring the Tool back? Is there any other way to
> > set up a WEP key?

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

To set up the MN-500 as a bridge and still be able to log on and change
settings follow this setup:

http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/expertzone/columns/bowman/segnet.asp

It starts in the middle of the page, setting it up as a bridge. The
final connection description is a little futher down the page. She is
describing using a MN-700 as the router but the same setup will work
with your router,

Thank you for the link. I used that information from there and my MN-500 is
still accessible after configuring it as a bridge.

The only difference was the IP: instead of using 192.168.2.xxx I used
192.168.1.xxx because my router uses 192.168.1.1.

Marcia