1. What is your budget?
$1000ish not including SSD
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
3. What screen resolution do you want?
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
5. How much battery life do you need?
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop?
Nothing of note. Any graphics demand will be with multiple monitors (HDMI output).
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop?
Photo editing, video editing, HTPC role (streaming, ISO, etc), basic business software
8. How much storage do you need?
Plan is to put the included HD from the laptop in a USB 3.0 enclosure and install an 120GB / 128GB SSD. Leaning toward the Samsung 830 or Crucial M4. Doesn't seem cost effective to purshase the SSD with the laptop in most cases...