Corrupted Registry + stop 0x00000050

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

My Windows XP Professional hard locked last night. I have not added hardware
or software to the machine in at least a month. I powered down to cold, gave
it a few seconds, and turned it back on. Unsurprisingly, I was told that
Windows had not exited normally. I tried "Last Known Good Configuration" and
was rewarded with a warm boot. I tried Safe Mode and was rewarded with
numerous listed files names and then a warm boot. So much for the tools
available on the hard drive.

I scrounged up my CD, modified the BIOS to boot from said CD, and brought up
Recovery Console. I have had a registry problem once before and I saved the
print out of "Using Recovery Console" including the section "Using Recovery
Console to Restore the Registry Keys". The first step, copyingthe current
system file in the Config folder to a backup went fine, but when I tried to
copy the current software file from the Config folder to a backup, I got a
stop 0x00000050. Same error when I tried to write the software file from the
Repair folder over the version in the config folder. Now using my work
computer to research and I cannot find anyone discussing receiving the
0x00000050 error while using Recovery Console. At this point my only
thoughts are to try running Chkdsk /r in Recovery Console and to try deleting
the software file in the Config directory (though my guess is that deletion
will give me a 0x50 just as fast as copying). Anyone have a suggestion
before I head back into the fray?

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Saw another post suggesting that you give the full error message so here it
is for the attempt to backup the software file from the Config folder:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

stop 0x00000050 (0xc4504108, 0x00000000, 0x807F0773, 0x00000000)

Here it is for the attempt to write over the Config folder software file
with the Repair folder software file (only change is the 4 to the 6 in the
first address):

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

stop 0x00000050 (0xc4506108, 0x00000000, 0x807F0773, 0x00000000)

"Michael" wrote:

> My Windows XP Professional hard locked last night. I have not added hardware
> or software to the machine in at least a month. I powered down to cold, gave
> it a few seconds, and turned it back on. Unsurprisingly, I was told that
> Windows had not exited normally. I tried "Last Known Good Configuration" and
> was rewarded with a warm boot. I tried Safe Mode and was rewarded with
> numerous listed files names and then a warm boot. So much for the tools
> available on the hard drive.
>
> I scrounged up my CD, modified the BIOS to boot from said CD, and brought up
> Recovery Console. I have had a registry problem once before and I saved the
> print out of "Using Recovery Console" including the section "Using Recovery
> Console to Restore the Registry Keys". The first step, copyingthe current
> system file in the Config folder to a backup went fine, but when I tried to
> copy the current software file from the Config folder to a backup, I got a
> stop 0x00000050. Same error when I tried to write the software file from the
> Repair folder over the version in the config folder. Now using my work
> computer to research and I cannot find anyone discussing receiving the
> 0x00000050 error while using Recovery Console. At this point my only
> thoughts are to try running Chkdsk /r in Recovery Console and to try deleting
> the software file in the Config directory (though my guess is that deletion
> will give me a 0x50 just as fast as copying). Anyone have a suggestion
> before I head back into the fray?

Michael, try a Repair Install. Check here for further Info

"Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My Windows XP Professional hard locked last night. I have not added
> hardware
> or software to the machine in at least a month. I powered down to cold,
> gave
> it a few seconds, and turned it back on. Unsurprisingly, I was told that
> Windows had not exited normally. I tried "Last Known Good Configuration"
> and
> was rewarded with a warm boot. I tried Safe Mode and was rewarded with
> numerous listed files names and then a warm boot. So much for the tools
> available on the hard drive.
>
> I scrounged up my CD, modified the BIOS to boot from said CD, and brought
> up
> Recovery Console. I have had a registry problem once before and I saved
> the
> print out of "Using Recovery Console" including the section "Using
> Recovery
> Console to Restore the Registry Keys". The first step, copyingthe current
> system file in the Config folder to a backup went fine, but when I tried
> copy the current software file from the Config folder to a backup, I got a
> stop 0x00000050. Same error when I tried to write the software file from
> the
> Repair folder over the version in the config folder. Now using my work
> computer to research and I cannot find anyone discussing receiving the
> 0x00000050 error while using Recovery Console. At this point my only
> thoughts are to try running Chkdsk /r in Recovery Console and to try
> deleting
> the software file in the Config directory (though my guess is that
> deletion
> will give me a 0x50 just as fast as copying). Anyone have a suggestion
> before I head back into the fray?

Michael, check here for that specific error. Left column scroll to 50.
http://www.aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm