Right Click on Folders Presents Search Window.

Something has changed the Default on the Right Click Menu when I Click on a
Folder.
The top entry now reads Search rather than Open. As a result, I'm presented
with the Search Window when I double click a Folder to open it.

I've deleted Toolbars, Google and MSN Beta but Search remains.

In HKEY_CLASSES-ROOT\Findfile: FindFile is listed first followed by:
Folder then sub Commands Explore then Open (Default in the File Types Folder)
To my knowledge, Search (or Findfile) should be listed next followed by Send
To.

Any suggestions as to how I can get "Search" back to it's original place in
line in the Right Click Menu? Thx
6 answers Last reply
More about right click folders presents search window

    Fixes the problem where Search or Command Prompt opens
    when double clicking a folder © Doug Knox
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_folder_open.htm

    Search Companion Starts If You Double-Click a Folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:DB29A3EE-BEB7-4EE9-9912-4A779A086C5F@microsoft.com,
    Edna <Edna @discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Something has changed the Default on the Right Click Menu when I Click on
    > a Folder.
    > The top entry now reads Search rather than Open. As a result, I'm
    > presented with the Search Window when I double click a Folder to open it.
    >
    > I've deleted Toolbars, Google and MSN Beta but Search remains.
    >
    > In HKEY_CLASSES-ROOT\Findfile: FindFile is listed first followed by:
    > Folder then sub Commands Explore then Open (Default in the File Types
    > Folder) To my knowledge, Search (or Findfile) should be listed next
    > followed by Send To.
    >
    > Any suggestions as to how I can get "Search" back to it's original place
    > in line in the Right Click Menu? Thx

    It WORKED on the first try using:
    Search Companion Starts If You Double-Click a Folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186

    My friend and I have been TWO days on this problem. We couldn't leave it
    alone!
    Thx VM Fellows!

    THAT'S why they get the big bucks, Edna. <G>

    "Edna" <Edna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > It WORKED on the first try using:
    > Search Companion Starts If You Double-Click a Folder
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186
    >
    > My friend and I have been TWO days on this problem. We couldn't leave it
    > alone!
    > Thx VM Fellows!

    Search Companion Error When You Search for Files and Folders
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;816665

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Edna" wrote:

    | Something has changed the Default on the Right Click Menu when I Click on a
    | Folder.
    | The top entry now reads Search rather than Open. As a result, I'm presented
    | with the Search Window when I double click a Folder to open it.
    |
    | I've deleted Toolbars, Google and MSN Beta but Search remains.
    |
    | In HKEY_CLASSES-ROOT\Findfile: FindFile is listed first followed by:
    | Folder then sub Commands Explore then Open (Default in the File Types Folder)
    | To my knowledge, Search (or Findfile) should be listed next followed by Send
    | To.
    |
    | Any suggestions as to how I can get "Search" back to it's original place in
    | line in the Right Click Menu? Thx

    You betcha, Edna! Keep having fun. :-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:E2F5EACE-74F8-42BA-923A-5D7C5D2CBD2E@microsoft.com,
    Edna <Edna@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > It WORKED on the first try using:
    > Search Companion Starts If You Double-Click a Folder
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186
    >
    > My friend and I have been TWO days on this problem. We couldn't leave it
    > alone!
    > Thx VM Fellows!

    <rotfl> & <LOL>

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:eqNS5h7PFHA.2252@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    Vic Baron <vgbaron@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > THAT'S why they get the big bucks, Edna. <G>
    >

    > "Edna" <Edna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> It WORKED on the first try using:
    >> Search Companion Starts If You Double-Click a Folder
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186
    >>
    >> My friend and I have been TWO days on this problem. We couldn't leave it
    >> alone!
    >> Thx VM Fellows!

Default Microsoft Windows XP