Right Click on Folders Presents Search Window.

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
April 12, 2005 6:38:37 PM

Something has changed the Default on the Right Click Menu when I Click on a
Folder.
The top entry now reads Search rather than Open. As a result, I'm presented
with the Search Window when I double click a Folder to open it.

I've deleted Toolbars, Google and MSN Beta but Search remains.

In HKEY_CLASSES-ROOT\Findfile: FindFile is listed first followed by:
Folder then sub Commands Explore then Open (Default in the File Types Folder)
To my knowledge, Search (or Findfile) should be listed next followed by Send
To.

Any suggestions as to how I can get "Search" back to it's original place in
line in the Right Click Menu? Thx

More about : click folders presents search window

Anonymous
April 12, 2005 7:52:39 PM

Fixes the problem where Search or Command Prompt opens
when double clicking a folder © Doug Knox
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_folder_open....

Search Companion Starts If You Double-Click a Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:D B29A3EE-BEB7-4EE9-9912-4A779A086C5F@microsoft.com,
Edna <Edna @discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Something has changed the Default on the Right Click Menu when I Click on
> a Folder.
> The top entry now reads Search rather than Open. As a result, I'm
> presented with the Search Window when I double click a Folder to open it.
>
> I've deleted Toolbars, Google and MSN Beta but Search remains.
>
> In HKEY_CLASSES-ROOT\Findfile: FindFile is listed first followed by:
> Folder then sub Commands Explore then Open (Default in the File Types
> Folder) To my knowledge, Search (or Findfile) should be listed next
> followed by Send To.
>
> Any suggestions as to how I can get "Search" back to it's original place
> in line in the Right Click Menu? Thx
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 8:23:01 PM

It WORKED on the first try using:
Search Companion Starts If You Double-Click a Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186

My friend and I have been TWO days on this problem. We couldn't leave it
alone!
Thx VM Fellows!
April 12, 2005 8:36:37 PM

THAT'S why they get the big bucks, Edna. <G>

"Edna" <Edna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It WORKED on the first try using:
> Search Companion Starts If You Double-Click a Folder
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186
>
> My friend and I have been TWO days on this problem. We couldn't leave it
> alone!
> Thx VM Fellows!

Anonymous
April 12, 2005 8:42:47 PM

Search Companion Error When You Search for Files and Folders
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;816665

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Edna" wrote:

| Something has changed the Default on the Right Click Menu when I Click on a
| Folder.
| The top entry now reads Search rather than Open. As a result, I'm presented
| with the Search Window when I double click a Folder to open it.
|
| I've deleted Toolbars, Google and MSN Beta but Search remains.
|
| In HKEY_CLASSES-ROOT\Findfile: FindFile is listed first followed by:
| Folder then sub Commands Explore then Open (Default in the File Types Folder)
| To my knowledge, Search (or Findfile) should be listed next followed by Send
| To.
|
| Any suggestions as to how I can get "Search" back to it's original place in
| line in the Right Click Menu? Thx
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 10:40:53 PM

You betcha, Edna! Keep having fun. :-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:E2F5EACE-74F8-42BA-923A-5D7C5D2CBD2E@microsoft.com,
Edna <Edna@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> It WORKED on the first try using:
> Search Companion Starts If You Double-Click a Folder
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186
>
> My friend and I have been TWO days on this problem. We couldn't leave it
> alone!
> Thx VM Fellows!
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 10:41:18 PM