Format or not for video change ??

Kronos

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2001
Thats a question I`ve often asked myself. Well...after replacing my Ti4200 with a new 9800PRO and having repeated freezes and crashes..the answer is a definitive yes! Yes...I tried all the Nvidia removers AND reinstalled windows repeatedly with all the updates...NO GOOD! A quick format and reinstall and havent had one freezeup in a week! It`s a lesson learned. Now I may even try a video overclock with that Arctic Cooler I also bought...sigh. :(

I want to die like my Grandfather...in my sleep...not screaming in terror like his passengers.

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
Humm... Interesting experience.

I find computers weird sometimes. I was never a PRO-"FORMAT C:". I think I formatted my old IBM DTLA307030 once, maybe 2 times...

And I never reinstalled WinXP since I have it (XP release - day 1).

I think, some PC are weird and don't want to work well with hardware changes, drivers updates, etc... And other PC's, like mine, can endure lts of torture without problems!

Or maybe, it's my discipline to never install crap, to clean up my drive often, to run Ad-Aware and AVG often... And my favorite hobby is to dig into the most unknown Windows directories and delete all the unused files...

--
Would you buy a GPS enabled soap bar?

gothitbycar

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
I format and reinstall every month, I don't know why, Windows 98SE made it a habit with me. I won't have a single problem with XP and all the sudden I'll just think to myself, time to format. I actually made a game out of it to get me to format, I see how much spyware, adware and virus' I can get so then I need to format. I think I have a problem :(

-----------------------
[mind went blank]

cleeve

Illustrious
That's messed up dude. :smile:

Seriously, Win98 pretty much needed a reformat every coupole months or so it seemed.

But XP? If you take care of it and watch out for adware/spyware/TSR's, it's pretty damn self sustaining.

I've had XP on my machine for 1 year now with no reinstall and no need to reinstall. Upgraded a video card a couple times. No problemo.

Ssseth

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
I recently went through hell trying to get a budget video card for my friend recently.
I went from Onboard VIA Unicrome to a Radeon 9200SE, to a Pandex GF4MX440, to a Gainward GF4MX440, to a FX5200 finally to a Radeon 9600.
So I uninstalled/reinstalled video drivers many times with no issues or need to reload WinXP (Pro).

Personally, it's been almost one full year that I've had XP on my rig and I have had not problems either. Yet because of my old Win98 days I feel guilty for not reloading yet :p

<A HREF="http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83441" target="_new">My Comprehensive LiteOn tools guide</A></b>

gothitbycar

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
I know, i have other setups that have been running WinXP for months now but on my main system I need to have it "clean" just for peace of mind.

-----------------------
[mind went blank]