steely600

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004
Is DVI really better than VGA for LCD's. If so, how? Does it increase the refresh rate? I have a 19" NEC LCD and I was wondering if I could squeeze anything else out of her.

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
It really depends on the monitor, some look better with DVI and Vice Versa. I know that my LCD looks much better using DVI, as using VGA It always has a green tinge, even if i compensate for the colour. You should try both connections and see what you like best.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7454540" target="_new">Yay, I Finally broke the 12k barrier!!</A>

cleeve

Illustrious
The biggest difference is that using DVI, the monitor is recieveing a digital signal. Using VGA, it's an analog signal.

I don't see how this could affect refresh rates, but then again I'm not an expert on this particular subject...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Video is digital to begin with. First it has to run through the RAMDAC to be analog (VGA), then it has to be converted back to digital by the monitor. This will cause a loss of some data, so that's why DVI SHOULD be better for flat panels.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

The problem is the Bandwidth of the DVI connectors, which is based on the TDMS used. Single allows a max of 60hz usually @ 1600x1200, but sometimes up to 1920x1440 if a rare high end chip. Usually to push above 16x12@60hz you need dual TMDS on a dual capable cable.
Most gaming cards will usually max out the bandwidth of the DVI connector @ 16x12x60hz with their single TMDS. But look at this review and see how cheaper and slower parts quickly restrict your resolution.

<A HREF="http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,1370500,00.asp" target="_new">A Good Comparison of DVI Quality by ExtremeTech</A>, which also should give you a little bit better understanding of DVI.

The VGA connector can be better but requires more tweaking usually and alot more money and gear. For the average user the DVI will give you truer colour and better picture. However, it really depends on what you find works best with your setup, nothing is a sure thing for either.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Yeah I was using the DVI-D cable that came with my monitor, and a Gainward Geforce 4 Ti4200, running my LCd at 1280x1024 60Hz (Putting it up to 75 makes no visual difference).

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7454540" target="_new">Yay, I Finally broke the 12k barrier!!</A>