USB storage device & digital camera problems

April 12, 2005 9:09:17 PM

Running XP sp2 on an IBM Thinkpad A31p, and having problems connecting a
digital camera to the USB ports.

The machine has two USB 1.1 ports both of which seem to work fine as I can
run a USB mouse off either.

A couple of days ago I bought a digital still camera. The camera uses
CompactFlash memory cards, and has a USB port and cable for transferring
photos to the computer.

I can copy photos from the CompactFlash card to the computer, but I can't
copy anything from the computer to the CF card (I need to do that as there's
a firmware upgrade for the camera). The device shows as a digital camera in
Windows Explorer, but I'm not able to copy to it.

I was advised to buy a USB CF card reader which I did today. The device is
recognized by Windows, but Explorer doesn't give it a drive letter, so I
can't copy to or from it.

I'm stumped. The USB ports word, but two separate devices which should have
been recognized by Windows and given drive letters were not recognized.

Help!?!
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 2:16:30 AM

I stumped the Windows crew, but the Nikon crew came through -- even though
it was a Windows issue!

I'd been under the (mis)apprehension that when you attached a new removable
media device, Windows would give it the next available drive letter. And so
it does -- the next drive letter on the local machine. If you've got any
network mappings with that letter, they're toast. No warning from Windows,
just gone.

!