TECH: DK High Pitched Noise

My DK is working, sort of.

I boot it up and it runs for a while correctly, then all non-digital
sounds are replaced with a consistent, high-pitched tone. It seems as
if part of the sound circuitry is "stuck."

Powering off and back on fixes it for a few minutes, but it comes back.

The power supply is recently replaced (not with a switcher.) I am
running one of the ArcadeShop high score save kits, though I doubt that
is the problem because it has worked consistently for months up to this
point.

Any suggestions?

Derek Stutsman wrote:
> My DK is working, sort of.
>
> I boot it up and it runs for a while correctly, then all non-digital
> sounds are replaced with a consistent, high-pitched tone. It seems
as
> if part of the sound circuitry is "stuck."
>
> Powering off and back on fixes it for a few minutes, but it comes
back.

> The power supply is recently replaced (not with a switcher.) I am
> running one of the ArcadeShop high score save kits, though I doubt
that
> is the problem because it has worked consistently for months up to
this
> point.
>
> Any suggestions?

It's your power supply. Go for the switcher from arcadeshop.

John

> It's your power supply. Go for the switcher from arcadeshop.

Doubtful...it's recently replaced, and I've tried switcher kits in that
cab...they don't work reliably, I get shimmering sprites when I do, due
to weak amps on the -5v line. So, I stick to the real Nintendo PS.

Cracked it open today...turned out to be nothing more than reseating
the highscore daughterboard.

At least, it was happening with regularity before and now isn't
happening at all, so I guess it's fixed!