Help and Support

Hi. When I try to open up "Help and Support" from the Start menu I get a
window pop up that reads "Windows cannot open Help and Support because a
system service is not running. To fix this problem, start the service named
'Help and Support'." When I go to the Administrative Tools menu and access
"Services" the service "Help and Support" is not even listed there,
therefore I am unable to start the service as stated in the popup window
when trying to access Help and Support.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Danee
8 answers Last reply
More about help support

    "Help and Support Error" - Service not started:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/helpsvc.htm

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Billy" <william.carroll@cn.ca> wrote in message
    > Hi. When I try to open up "Help and Support" from the Start menu I get a
    > window pop up that reads "Windows cannot open Help and Support because a
    > system service is not running. To fix this problem, start the service
    > named 'Help and Support'." When I go to the Administrative Tools menu and
    > access "Services" the service "Help and Support" is not even listed there,
    > therefore I am unable to start the service as stated in the popup window
    > when trying to access Help and Support.
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Danee

    Thanks. This registry fix put Help and Support back into the Services List.
    However, when I try to start the service I now get the following error:
    "Could not start the Help and Support service on Local Computer. Error 1083:
    The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not
    implement the service."

    Thanks again
    Danee

    Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
    > "Help and Support Error" - Service not started:
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/helpsvc.htm
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Billy" <william.carroll@cn.ca> wrote in message
    >> Hi. When I try to open up "Help and Support" from the Start menu I get a
    >> window pop up that reads "Windows cannot open Help and Support because a
    >> system service is not running. To fix this problem, start the service
    >> named 'Help and Support'." When I go to the Administrative Tools menu and
    >> access "Services" the service "Help and Support" is not even listed
    >> there, therefore I am unable to start the service as stated in the popup
    >> window when trying to access Help and Support.
    >> Any help would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance
    >>
    >> Danee

    Danee,

    I expected this error (posted by many in the newsgroups, previously), and
    I'm not aware of any solid answer as of yet. See if extracting a new copy of
    the file pchsvc.dll from XP CD (or Service Pack files source path) and place
    it here:

    %WINDIR%\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\

    --

    > Thanks. This registry fix put Help and Support back into the Services
    > List. However, when I try to start the service I now get the following
    > error: "Could not start the Help and Support service on Local Computer.
    > Error 1083: The executable program that this service is configured to run
    > in does not implement the service."
    >
    > Thanks again
    > Danee
    >
    > Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> "Help and Support Error" - Service not started:
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/helpsvc.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "Billy" <william.carroll@cn.ca> wrote in message
    >>> Hi. When I try to open up "Help and Support" from the Start menu I get a
    >>> window pop up that reads "Windows cannot open Help and Support because a
    >>> system service is not running. To fix this problem, start the service
    >>> named 'Help and Support'." When I go to the Administrative Tools menu
    >>> and access "Services" the service "Help and Support" is not even listed
    >>> there, therefore I am unable to start the service as stated in the popup
    >>> window when trying to access Help and Support.
    >>> Any help would be appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance
    >>>
    >>> Danee

    I finally got Help and Support to work after enabling the service and then
    doing this as per Kellys Korner:
    Why doesn't Help and Support work?
    This issue can occur if one or more of the PCHealth components in your
    computer are damaged. To resolve this issue:

    1. It is important to note if you have recently made alterations to your
    computer before this problem occurred, or if the Help and Support
    Center ever worked correctly. If you have recently made alterations to your
    computer before this problem occurred, try to undo the changes
    you made or uninstall the hardware or software that could have caused the
    issue. After you do so, test to determine if the issue is resolved,
    and if it is, skip the remaining steps. If the issue is not resolved,
    continue to the next step.

    2. Remove the .cab files from the Packagestore folder, and then rebuild the
    original Help and Support Center:

    a. Click Start, click Run, type "cmd" (without the quotation marks), and
    then click OK to open a command prompt.
    Type "net stop helpsvc" (without the quotation marks), and then press
    ENTER.
    b. Type "cd /d windir\pchealth\helpctr" (without the quotation marks), where
    windir is the Windows folder, and then press ENTER.
    c. Type "rd packagestore /s /q" (without the quotation marks), and then
    press ENTER.
    d. Type "cd binaries" (without the quotation marks), and then press ENTER.
    e. Type "start /w helpsvc /svchost netsvcs /regserver /install" (without the
    quotation marks), and then press ENTER.
    f. If any of the following processes are running, stop them: helpsvc.exe
    helphost.exe helpctr.exe

    To stop a process, right-click the taskbar, and then click Task Manager.
    Click the Processes tab, click the process you want to stop,
    and then click End Process.

    g. At the command prompt, type "net start helpsvc" (without the quotation
    marks), and then press ENTER.

    .....so with your help on re-establishing the Help and Support Service, then
    following the above instructions Help and Support now works for me!

    Thanks for all your help and input.

    Danee

    > Danee,
    >
    > I expected this error (posted by many in the newsgroups, previously), and
    > I'm not aware of any solid answer as of yet. See if extracting a new copy
    > of the file pchsvc.dll from XP CD (or Service Pack files source path) and
    > place it here:
    >
    > %WINDIR%\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Billy" <william.carroll@cn.ca> wrote in message
    >> Thanks. This registry fix put Help and Support back into the Services
    >> List. However, when I try to start the service I now get the following
    >> error: "Could not start the Help and Support service on Local Computer.
    >> Error 1083: The executable program that this service is configured to run
    >> in does not implement the service."
    >>
    >> Thanks again
    >> Danee
    >>
    >> Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> "Help and Support Error" - Service not started:
    >>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/helpsvc.htm
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >>> Windows XP Shell/User
    >>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>>

    >>> "Billy" <william.carroll@cn.ca> wrote in message

    Thanks for the feedback Danee.

    --

> [...]
    >
    > Danee

    >> Danee,
    >>
    >> I expected this error (posted by many in the newsgroups, previously), and
    >> I'm not aware of any solid answer as of yet. See if extracting a new copy
    >> of the file pchsvc.dll from XP CD (or Service Pack files source path) and
    >> place it here:
    >>
    >> %WINDIR%\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "Billy" <william.carroll@cn.ca> wrote in message
    >>> Thanks. This registry fix put Help and Support back into the Services
    >>> List. However, when I try to start the service I now get the following
    >>> error: "Could not start the Help and Support service on Local Computer.
    >>> Error 1083: The executable program that this service is configured to

    Billy.. did you get an answer to your question?.. I am having the same issue
    Thanks

    "Billy" wrote:

    > Hi. When I try to open up "Help and Support" from the Start menu I get a
    > window pop up that reads "Windows cannot open Help and Support because a
    > system service is not running. To fix this problem, start the service named
    > 'Help and Support'." When I go to the Administrative Tools menu and access
    > "Services" the service "Help and Support" is not even listed there,
    > therefore I am unable to start the service as stated in the popup window
    > when trying to access Help and Support.
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Danee

    To resolve the problem, Start the Help and Support Center service and set it
    to Automatic. Follow these steps:

    a.. Click Start, Run and type Services.msc

    b.. Double-click Help and Support

    c.. Set the Startup type to Automatic

    d.. Click "Start" To start the Service

    If the Help and Support service is missing in the Services.msc listing, this
    may be due to accidental deletion of a registry key. Download helpsvc.zip
    file and unzip the contents. Extract helpsvc.reg to the Desktop and
    double-click to merge the contents to the registry. This restores the Help
    and Support service entry.

    --
    Good Day
    River Rat

    "Billy" wrote:

    > Hi. When I try to open up "Help and Support" from the Start menu I get a
    > window pop up that reads "Windows cannot open Help and Support because a
    > system service is not running. To fix this problem, start the service
    > named
    > 'Help and Support'." When I go to the Administrative Tools menu and access
    > "Services" the service "Help and Support" is not even listed there,
    > therefore I am unable to start the service as stated in the popup window
    > when trying to access Help and Support.
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Danee

    Sorry forgot to attach the link.

    "Billy" wrote:

    > Hi. When I try to open up "Help and Support" from the Start menu I get a
    > window pop up that reads "Windows cannot open Help and Support because a
    > system service is not running. To fix this problem, start the service
    > named
    > 'Help and Support'." When I go to the Administrative Tools menu and access
    > "Services" the service "Help and Support" is not even listed there,
    > therefore I am unable to start the service as stated in the popup window
    > when trying to access Help and Support.
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Danee