Help and Support

April 12, 2005 11:56:14 PM

Hi. When I try to open up "Help and Support" from the Start menu I get a
window pop up that reads "Windows cannot open Help and Support because a
system service is not running. To fix this problem, start the service named
'Help and Support'." When I go to the Administrative Tools menu and access
"Services" the service "Help and Support" is not even listed there,
therefore I am unable to start the service as stated in the popup window
when trying to access Help and Support.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Danee

More about : support

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 3:42:55 PM

"Help and Support Error" - Service not started:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/helpsvc.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Billy" <william.carroll@cn.ca> wrote in message
> Hi. When I try to open up "Help and Support" from the Start menu I get a
> window pop up that reads "Windows cannot open Help and Support because a
> system service is not running. To fix this problem, start the service
> named 'Help and Support'." When I go to the Administrative Tools menu and
> access "Services" the service "Help and Support" is not even listed there,
> therefore I am unable to start the service as stated in the popup window
> when trying to access Help and Support.
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Danee

April 13, 2005 3:42:56 PM

Thanks. This registry fix put Help and Support back into the Services List.
However, when I try to start the service I now get the following error:
"Could not start the Help and Support service on Local Computer. Error 1083:
The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not
implement the service."

Thanks again
Danee

Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
> "Help and Support Error" - Service not started:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/helpsvc.htm
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Billy" <william.carroll@cn.ca> wrote in message
>> Hi. When I try to open up "Help and Support" from the Start menu I get a
>> window pop up that reads "Windows cannot open Help and Support because a
>> system service is not running. To fix this problem, start the service
>> named 'Help and Support'." When I go to the Administrative Tools menu and
>> access "Services" the service "Help and Support" is not even listed
>> there, therefore I am unable to start the service as stated in the popup
>> window when trying to access Help and Support.
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> Danee

April 14, 2005 2:08:06 AM

Danee,

I expected this error (posted by many in the newsgroups, previously), and
I'm not aware of any solid answer as of yet. See if extracting a new copy of
the file pchsvc.dll from XP CD (or Service Pack files source path) and place
it here:

%WINDIR%\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\

--

> Thanks. This registry fix put Help and Support back into the Services
> List. However, when I try to start the service I now get the following
> error: "Could not start the Help and Support service on Local Computer.
> Error 1083: The executable program that this service is configured to run
> in does not implement the service."
>
> Thanks again
> Danee
>
> Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
>> "Help and Support Error" - Service not started:
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/helpsvc.htm
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Billy" <william.carroll@cn.ca> wrote in message
>>> Hi. When I try to open up "Help and Support" from the Start menu I get a
>>> window pop up that reads "Windows cannot open Help and Support because a
>>> system service is not running. To fix this problem, start the service
>>> named 'Help and Support'." When I go to the Administrative Tools menu
>>> and access "Services" the service "Help and Support" is not even listed
>>> there, therefore I am unable to start the service as stated in the popup
>>> window when trying to access Help and Support.
>>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance
>>>
>>> Danee

April 14, 2005 2:08:07 AM

I finally got Help and Support to work after enabling the service and then
doing this as per Kellys Korner:
Why doesn't Help and Support work?
This issue can occur if one or more of the PCHealth components in your
computer are damaged. To resolve this issue:

1. It is important to note if you have recently made alterations to your
computer before this problem occurred, or if the Help and Support
Center ever worked correctly. If you have recently made alterations to your
computer before this problem occurred, try to undo the changes
you made or uninstall the hardware or software that could have caused the
issue. After you do so, test to determine if the issue is resolved,
and if it is, skip the remaining steps. If the issue is not resolved,
continue to the next step.

2. Remove the .cab files from the Packagestore folder, and then rebuild the
original Help and Support Center:

a. Click Start, click Run, type "cmd" (without the quotation marks), and
then click OK to open a command prompt.
Type "net stop helpsvc" (without the quotation marks), and then press
ENTER.
b. Type "cd /d windir\pchealth\helpctr" (without the quotation marks), where
windir is the Windows folder, and then press ENTER.
c. Type "rd packagestore /s /q" (without the quotation marks), and then
press ENTER.
d. Type "cd binaries" (without the quotation marks), and then press ENTER.
e. Type "start /w helpsvc /svchost netsvcs /regserver /install" (without the
quotation marks), and then press ENTER.
f. If any of the following processes are running, stop them: helpsvc.exe
helphost.exe helpctr.exe

To stop a process, right-click the taskbar, and then click Task Manager.
Click the Processes tab, click the process you want to stop,
and then click End Process.

g. At the command prompt, type "net start helpsvc" (without the quotation
marks), and then press ENTER.

.....so with your help on re-establishing the Help and Support Service, then
following the above instructions Help and Support now works for me!

Thanks for all your help and input.

Danee

> Danee,
>
> I expected this error (posted by many in the newsgroups, previously), and
> I'm not aware of any solid answer as of yet. See if extracting a new copy
> of the file pchsvc.dll from XP CD (or Service Pack files source path) and
> place it here:
>
> %WINDIR%\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Billy" <william.carroll@cn.ca> wrote in message
>> Thanks. This registry fix put Help and Support back into the Services
>> List. However, when I try to start the service I now get the following
>> error: "Could not start the Help and Support service on Local Computer.
>> Error 1083: The executable program that this service is configured to run
>> in does not implement the service."
>>
>> Thanks again
>> Danee
>>
>> Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> "Help and Support Error" - Service not started:
>>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/helpsvc.htm
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>>> Windows XP Shell/User
>>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>>

>>> "Billy" <william.carroll@cn.ca> wrote in message

Anonymous
April 14, 2005 1:25:17 PM

Thanks for the feedback Danee.

--

> [...]
>
> Danee

>> Danee,
>>
>> I expected this error (posted by many in the newsgroups, previously), and
>> I'm not aware of any solid answer as of yet. See if extracting a new copy
>> of the file pchsvc.dll from XP CD (or Service Pack files source path) and
>> place it here:
>>
>> %WINDIR%\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Billy" <william.carroll@cn.ca> wrote in message
>>> Thanks. This registry fix put Help and Support back into the Services
>>> List. However, when I try to start the service I now get the following
>>> error: "Could not start the Help and Support service on Local Computer.
>>> Error 1083: The executable program that this service is configured to

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 1:25:03 AM

Billy.. did you get an answer to your question?.. I am having the same issue
Thanks

"Billy" wrote:

> Hi. When I try to open up "Help and Support" from the Start menu I get a
> window pop up that reads "Windows cannot open Help and Support because a
> system service is not running. To fix this problem, start the service named
> 'Help and Support'." When I go to the Administrative Tools menu and access
> "Services" the service "Help and Support" is not even listed there,
> therefore I am unable to start the service as stated in the popup window
> when trying to access Help and Support.
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Danee

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 3:39:00 AM

To resolve the problem, Start the Help and Support Center service and set it
to Automatic. Follow these steps:

a.. Click Start, Run and type Services.msc

b.. Double-click Help and Support

c.. Set the Startup type to Automatic

d.. Click "Start" To start the Service

If the Help and Support service is missing in the Services.msc listing, this
may be due to accidental deletion of a registry key. Download helpsvc.zip
file and unzip the contents. Extract helpsvc.reg to the Desktop and
double-click to merge the contents to the registry. This restores the Help
and Support service entry.

--
Good Day
River Rat

"Billy" wrote:

> Hi. When I try to open up "Help and Support" from the Start menu I get a
> window pop up that reads "Windows cannot open Help and Support because a
> system service is not running. To fix this problem, start the service
> named
> 'Help and Support'." When I go to the Administrative Tools menu and access
> "Services" the service "Help and Support" is not even listed there,
> therefore I am unable to start the service as stated in the popup window
> when trying to access Help and Support.
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Danee