Help Changing MB use same HD w/OS

I want to change my motherboard (upgrade) in my PC. Can I do this with out
doing a clean reinstall of XP Pro?

What step should I take to use the same harddrive w/ XP Pro OS on it and all
of the other programs?

--
Bobby Atkinson
batkinson@iquest.net

    Bobby Atkinson wrote:
    > I want to change my motherboard (upgrade) in my PC. Can I do this with out
    > doing a clean reinstall of XP Pro?
    >
    > What step should I take to use the same harddrive w/ XP Pro OS on it and all
    > of the other programs?

    Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations are
    not transferable to a new motherboard - check yours before starting),
    unless the new motherboard is virtually identical (same chipset, same
    IDE controllers, same BIOS version, etc.) to the one on which the WinXP
    installation was originally performed, you'll need to perform a repair
    (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at the very least:

    The "why" is quite simple, really, and has nothing to do with
    licensing issues, per se; it's a purely technical matter, at this point.
    You've pulled the proverbial hardware rug out from under the OS. (If
    you don't like -- or get -- the rug analogy, think of it as picking up a
    Cape Cod style home and then setting it down onto a Ranch style
    foundation. It just isn't going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K before it,
    is not nearly as "promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to accepting any
    old hardware configuration you throw at it. On installation it
    "tailors" itself to the specific hardware found. This is one of the
    reasons that the entire WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much more stable
    than the Win9x group.

    important data before starting.

    This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
    Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than
    120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
    likely be able to activate via the Internet without problem. If it's
    been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    when you plug your hdd into your new motherboard, boot off the win xp
    cd - not off the hdd. run the win xp repair off the cd (this is not R
    for recovery console, but more like <enter> - as iof you're gonna
    install xp then R )

    Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Bobby Atkinson" wrote:

    | I want to change my motherboard (upgrade) in my PC. Can I do this with out
    | doing a clean reinstall of XP Pro?
    |
    | What step should I take to use the same harddrive w/ XP Pro OS on it and all
    | of the other programs?
    |
    | --
    | Bobby Atkinson

    Thanks
    I will try this and hope for the best. will repost when I am completed the
    task. My take a week or so.

    --
    Bobby Atkinson
    batkinson@iquest.net
    > Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed
    > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
    >
    > How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
    >
    > [Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Bobby Atkinson" wrote:
    >
    > | I want to change my motherboard (upgrade) in my PC. Can I do this with
    > out
    > | doing a clean reinstall of XP Pro?
    > |
    > | What step should I take to use the same harddrive w/ XP Pro OS on it and
    > all
    > | of the other programs?
    > |
    > | --
    > | Bobby Atkinson