Power Options Properties

April 13, 2005 3:19:29 AM

If I turn off hard disks using Power Options Properties the display still
displays. Does not the hard drive need to be operating to keep the display
showing, even though it is a static image?

Paul
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 10:48:39 PM

Even disabling the drive in BIOS will not stop the disk from powering up
and generating heat.

Turning off hard disk from windows xp power options only limits down
the spin time for drives.

--
Activision
Activision's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=5425

Thanks, but I understand what it should do. This did not address my
question.

"Activision" <Activision.1nfj9p@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Even disabling the drive in BIOS will not stop the disk from powering up
> and generating heat.
>
> Turning off hard disk from windows xp power options only limits down
> the spin time for drives.
>

> --
> Activision
> Activision's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=5425
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=80324
> | http://www.techarena.in | http://forums.techarena.in |
> http://gallery.techarena.in |
> http://forums.techarena.in/archive/index.php/ |

April 14, 2005 11:26:32 PM

"Paul Mars" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support:
>If I turn off hard disks using Power Options Properties the display still
>displays. Does not the hard drive need to be operating to keep the display
>showing, even though it is a static image?

Both your experience and logic say that the answer is "No."

A program could be running entirely in RAM (no swapping) and do all
kinds of things on the screen.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 6:09:45 PM

Thanks, but "could be" may not be, you know "ms windows" does not always do
things simply.

"Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
> "Paul Mars" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support:
>>If I turn off hard disks using Power Options Properties the display still
>>displays. Does not the hard drive need to be operating to keep the display
>>showing, even though it is a static image?
>
> Both your experience and logic say that the answer is "No."
>
> A program could be running entirely in RAM (no swapping) and do all
> kinds of things on the screen.

> http://OakRoadSystems.com/
April 15, 2005 11:20:21 PM

I've continued with numerous computer activities after hearing the hard disk
power down. It powers up again when I do something that calls on it, such as
closing an app or saving a doc. You can work from programs loaded into
memory alone. It surprised me the first time it happened, but it makes sense
when you think about it.
"Paul Mars" <paulmarsREMOVE@netzero.com> wrote in message
> Thanks, but "could be" may not be, you know "ms windows" does not always
> do things simply.

> "Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
>> "Paul Mars" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support:
>>>If I turn off hard disks using Power Options Properties the display still
>>>displays. Does not the hard drive need to be operating to keep the
>>>display
>>>showing, even though it is a static image?
>>
>> Both your experience and logic say that the answer is "No."
>>
>> A program could be running entirely in RAM (no swapping) and do all
>> kinds of things on the screen.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
>> http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Anonymous
April 16, 2005 4:23:57 AM

I have never heard my hdd power down, and I've listened...

!