Power Options Properties

If I turn off hard disks using Power Options Properties the display still
displays. Does not the hard drive need to be operating to keep the display
showing, even though it is a static image?

Paul
6 answers Last reply
More about power options properties

    Even disabling the drive in BIOS will not stop the disk from powering up
    and generating heat.

    Turning off hard disk from windows xp power options only limits down
    the spin time for drives.

    --
    Activision
    Activision's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=5425

    Thanks, but I understand what it should do. This did not address my
    question.

    "Paul Mars" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support:
    >If I turn off hard disks using Power Options Properties the display still
    >displays. Does not the hard drive need to be operating to keep the display
    >showing, even though it is a static image?

    Both your experience and logic say that the answer is "No."

    A program could be running entirely in RAM (no swapping) and do all
    kinds of things on the screen.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Thanks, but "could be" may not be, you know "ms windows" does not always do
    things simply.

    "Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
    > "Paul Mars" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support:
    >>If I turn off hard disks using Power Options Properties the display still
    >>displays. Does not the hard drive need to be operating to keep the display
    >>showing, even though it is a static image?
    >
    > Both your experience and logic say that the answer is "No."
    >
    > A program could be running entirely in RAM (no swapping) and do all
    > kinds of things on the screen.

    > http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    I've continued with numerous computer activities after hearing the hard disk
    power down. It powers up again when I do something that calls on it, such as
    closing an app or saving a doc. You can work from programs loaded into
    memory alone. It surprised me the first time it happened, but it makes sense
    when you think about it.
    "Paul Mars" <paulmarsREMOVE@netzero.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks, but "could be" may not be, you know "ms windows" does not always
    > do things simply.

    > "Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
    >> "Paul Mars" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support:
    >>>If I turn off hard disks using Power Options Properties the display still
    >>>displays. Does not the hard drive need to be operating to keep the
    >>>display
    >>>showing, even though it is a static image?
    >>
    >> Both your experience and logic say that the answer is "No."
    >>
    >> A program could be running entirely in RAM (no swapping) and do all
    >> kinds of things on the screen.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
    >> http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    I have never heard my hdd power down, and I've listened...

    "JD" <Erehwon@Example.com> wrote in message
    > I've continued with numerous computer activities after hearing the hard
    > disk power down. It powers up again when I do something that calls on it,
    > such as closing an app or saving a doc. You can work from programs loaded
    > into memory alone. It surprised me the first time it happened, but it
    > makes sense when you think about it.
    > "Paul Mars" <paulmarsREMOVE@netzero.com> wrote in message
    >> Thanks, but "could be" may not be, you know "ms windows" does not always
    >> do things simply.

    >> "Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Both your experience and logic say that the answer is "No."
    >>>
    >>> A program could be running entirely in RAM (no swapping) and do all
    >>> kinds of things on the screen.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
    >>> http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Hard Drives Power Windows XP Displays