Radeon 9600 & NWN issues

Ssseth

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
I recently put together a computer for my friend.

Specs:
Athlon XP 2500+
80GB Maxtor 2MB 7200RPM
Gigabyte GA-7VM400M-P
Saphire 9600 128MB
512MB Kingston PC2700
WinXP Pro

Every game we've tried so far runs great except Never Winter Nights. This is pretty much the only game he plays and the whole reason he bought the thing is to play this game at work :p
3D Mark runs nice and gets an adequate 9000 points.

Problem is it seems to take about 1-3 mins for the game to "warm up". It will be very jerky and then all of a sudden seem to "kick in" and start playing fine. After that the only time he gets some slow down is in area's with a crap load of monsters like the end of this one module he built.
The game has crashed to desktop a few times as well with the standard 'This application had to be closed by Windows message'.
I've tried a couple different versions of drivers and NWN is all caught up on patches.

The game runs fine on his older PC with a slower MX440 in it so he is a little peeved (and so am I) that his new better computer can't play his favorite game properly.

Any ideas?

<A HREF="http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83441" target="_new">My Comprehensive LiteOn tools guide</A></b>

agcheavin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2004
Have you tried uninstalling and then re-installing the game with all the patchs, I'm assuming you have the latest chipset drivers installed as well as the latest 4.2 drivers ? SP1 as well as DX 9 and have done a full driver uninstall using driver cleaner for the ATI drivers.

Try disabling fast writes but all in all I must say if it isn't driver related, then I'm baffled (have you tried the FAQ over at NWN site ?)

Gary

<font color=red>AMD 2700 XP<font color=red>
<font color=red>Gecube 9800 pro Extreme<font color=red>
<font color=blue>ASUS A7N8X deluxe<font color=blue>
<font color=blue>1024 meg Dual Channel DDR 3200<font color=blue>

Ssseth

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
Thanks for the reply, but I think it's NWN specific and not my hardware so I'm going to head over to the NWN forums.

Thanks again.

<A HREF="http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83441" target="_new">My Comprehensive LiteOn tools guide</A></b>

markgun

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2002
IIRC, NWN just doesn't run too well with ATI hardware. I *think* the latest patch from Biostar(?) is supposed to help quite a bit, though. You might want to check the Rage3d forums, too.

<b>Qui habet aures audiendi audiat</b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Lots of games are not 100% DX stable. Look at all these games from EA that need to be patched a couple times to work with anything except an nVidia card...and I mean ANYTHING. You see the problem is, nVidia throws a lot of weight around getting writers to write custom extensions for their cards, and these game makers tend to neglect testing their parts 100% thoroughly using nothing but standard DX extensions on other brands.

That's why I steal all my EA games and download hacked patches, I refuse to pay for anything that doesn't work right out of the box.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
ATI drivers have issues with NWN. They have for some time. I think in Age of Mythology they still produce blocks instead of smoke!

He can either wait for a driver update, or pickup an Nvidia card... if its his main game he could just pop in the GF4MX, hey if it works better and he enjoys himself again who cares?

Just use DriverCleaner2 to make sure theirs nothing that could ruin the experience from leftover drivers if he does do this.

----
RESIDENT FORUM WARRIOR
Support the terrorists, vote democrat
NV/AMD/IBM axis of evil team leader
Who cares about HL2/D3 when we have Call of Duty today!!

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
yea its been a pwroblem for a while now, with ati cards for some reason

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Try the 3.7 Drivers... I am still using them, and so far, these drivers work great with NWN...

Even ATI has posted issues with some of the drivers... but 3.7 work with my modded 9500np...

<font color=red><b>The mind is in its own place, and in itself
Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n.</b></font color=red>
John Milton, <i>Paradise Lost</i>, Book II

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm still running 3.7's as well, due to compatability issues with later drivers. And if you look at the driver comparison thread, you'll see their also some of the best performing drivers.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>