Nvidia NV40 specifications confirmed

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=14373" target="_new">Full 16 pipelines for NV40</A> says the "gospel" Inquirer :wink: , which predicts NVidia 'ownage'.

What do people think?I wonder how quickly this can descend into fanboy zealotry!

(I am quite happy with my new bargain 9800 Pro by the way :smile: )

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
I predict a lot of no-name PSU Ownage with that thing installed. I wonder if Nvidia have learnt their lesson, or are we going to see another leaf blower?

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7454540" target="_new">Yay, I Finally broke the 12k barrier!!</A>

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
They are currently in talks with a company which manufactures machines for sandblasting the black soot from vehicle pollution off city buildings.

cleeve

Illustrious
I predict that we'll find out which card is better when the cards are actually released.

Kudos and good luck to both Ati and Nvidia in this round.
STRENGTH OF TECHNOLOGY THROUGH COMPETITION!

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
Will we though?Granted,we'll be more able to make an educated evaluation but it's always very subjective, even when the cards have been out a while.
As you say though, it's definitely very good for the consumer if both companies can make a good showing in the next round.We don't want ATI to start resting on it's dx9.0 laurels.

cleeve

Illustrious
Honestly, I don't think it's all that subjective. I think some people feel the need to MAKE it subjective, because they feel some kind of loyalty to a particular brand.

Geforce2 Ultra VS Radeon DDR? Geforce2 tech was the clear winner. Who would argue with that?

Radeon 8500 VS. Geforce4 Ti? Geforce4 Ti is the clear winner, once again. Who disagrees?

Radeon 9800XT vs GeforceFX 5950? I mean, look at the AA quality and shader power. The 9800XT runs away with this one, I don't even see how a person could argue in favor of the 5950 in good conscience.

But for some reason, Nvidiots feel some bizarre need to pretend that their beloved video card company is infallable.

Just why is that?

The next round will go to whoever has the best technology. Nvidia or Ati, and to the victor will go the spoils. But I'm not going to bet on either one until production versions of both cards have been in everyone's hands.

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
I can't argue with that.Indeed it <i>shouldn't</i> be subjective but until there is unanimous acceptance of one or other technology as superior it always will be.
The next round will go to whoever has the best technology.
I wish it were that simple.That dirty word 'marketing' has a large role to play, especially amongst the vast hordes who really cannot understand technical specifications, let alone their implications.I think the existence of such cards as the 256MB Radeon 9200SE says a lot about the state of the industry!

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ad_rach on 02/26/04 12:46 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

cleeve

Illustrious
True enough. I guess "the next round goes to whoever has the best technology" only applies to objective hardware entheusiasts.

Marketers have allowed the 9200SE and 64-bit 5200 to exist and thrive in a world that should have no place for them.

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
I guess "the next round goes to whoever has the best technology" only applies to objective hardware entheusiasts.
Yep.The 'enthusiast' segment which we occupy is a tiny enough minority as it is and it becomes even more pitiful when you sieve it in an attempt to find the 'objective' ones! :smile:

agcheavin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2004
Well I'm looking forward to it, I don't care who makes the fastest card as long as I can afford it, ATI, Nvidia...I've owned em all, but as you say, the last thing I need in my case is a leaf blower.

Gary

<font color=red>AMD 2700 XP<font color=red>
<font color=red>Gecube 9800 pro Extreme<font color=red>
<font color=blue>ASUS A7N8X deluxe<font color=blue>
<font color=blue>1024 meg Dual Channel DDR 3200<font color=blue>

speeduk

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
Anyone know if DX9 games can use 16 pipes to full potential?

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7584476" target="_new"> My rig </A>

agcheavin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2004
I have no idea, but lets face it, the more bandwith the better. Thats what chokes the 9600XT and prob a few other cards as well.

Gary

I'll believe everything when I see it, but I always look for whatever rumour there is. I hope both are competitive, it's interesting that 3Dcentre says the R420 will likely be 8x2, and now the Inquirer says the nV40 will be 16x1, which is completely the opposite of early views on the two cards. Flip-flop is common and until I see it properly benched with IQ shots, I don't trust anything.

Ownage? Far too early to claim that, I think nV learned that from their experience with the NV30.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
ROFL, watch them all come running back.
Besides you. You'll never buy NV.

ATi are now hoping, at best for a close fight…

NV40 0wnage of ATi R420 coming soon to a store near you?

We sure think so

Ouch.
Better hope and pray, cuz its looking likely to go back to pre-R300 days for the ATI devotees.

I find it funny how this forum far misjudges and downplays NVIDIA and their capabilities.
Get ready to eat cake.

----
RESIDENT FORUM WARRIOR
Support the terrorists, vote democrat
NV/AMD/IBM axis of evil team leader
Who cares about HL2/D3 when we have Call of Duty today!!

Ion

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
Nvidia may have the capabilities to out run ATi, but i question their management ability when the competition gets tough.

Asus A7N8X Deluxe, Xp 2500+(3200+), 512MB RAM, HIS Radeon 9500Pro

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I'd completely disagree.
I think its the other way around.

ATI got lucky, they aquired ArtX and that technology has lasted for some time now.

Its starting to wear thin.

Meanwhile NV had a lackluster product, mainly due to not being inferior.. but not conforming to DX standards as well as ATIs.

The track record of both companies shows ATI not managing well.

When the competition gets tough, NV gets going... look at the 2nd half of last year.. no one denys NV stepped up to the plate hardcore.

5700Ultras, 5900XT/SE/NU, 5950Ultra.
Good stuff. From the midrange down (although many are too slow reacting to realize it) NV was supreme.
Only marginally beaten in the upper end.
So anyway, my theory. ATI seems to run out of smarts, and ability usually and NV doesnt... I'm sure you remember their meteoric rise into the market.

It was one of the highest rising stocks in the industry.
They are simply ATIs ultimate challenge and believe me, ATI does not underestimate them.
They do their best to compete against NV.

----
RESIDENT FORUM WARRIOR

Vimp

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2003
The biggest disappointment I have with NV is their cheap and blatently obvious marketing schemes.

<font color=blue>_____________________________________</font color=blue>
Canada
Asus A7N8X-X, Athelon XP 2500+ Barton,
Samsung 1024mb DDR400, MSI GeforceFX5900 XT.
Aquamark=<b>34702</b>

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Understandable. But little reason to hate NV, or forgo their products IMO.
Marketings half the battle, ask intel.

----
RESIDENT FORUM WARRIOR

cleeve

Illustrious
All of the pipes are used, regardless of DirectX version.

pauldh

Illustrious
Yup, I'm almost tired of the hype. I love reading any new news, but really want the full,in-depth, hands-on, comparisons. Bring on the benchies.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

dhlucke

Polypheme
If I was a betting man I would bet that Nvidia would release a pathetic product and market it as a 5400XT, and then a noisy mediocre product that runs dx9 really fast in 8 bit graphics as the 6000XT. They'll market them both like crazy.

But I'm not a betting man.

<font color=red>_________________________________________</font color=red>
<b><A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">I am watching you!</A></b>

Vimp

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2003
The famous "leafblower", other wise known as the FX5800 Ultra, gets far to much bashing in my opinion. As it happens the FX5800 Ultra still has the highest fill rates, both pixel and texel fill rates, among all of Nvidia's video cards to date. The only thing that held the 5800 back was its limited memory bandwidth due to the 128bit memory. If it had been given a 256bit memory bandwidth it would be faster and better in every way compared to the FX5950 Ultra, performance wise.

<font color=blue>_____________________________________</font color=blue>
Canada
Asus A7N8X-X, Athelon XP 2500+ Barton,
Samsung 1024mb DDR400, MSI GeforceFX5900 XT.
Aquamark=<b>34702</b>

dhlucke

Polypheme
ifa, woulda, shoulda

It sucked!!!!!!! Plain and simple!!!!!!!

<font color=red>_________________________________________</font color=red>
<b><A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">I am watching you!</A></b>

agcheavin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2004
and if a TNT2 had 8 pipes, faster ram and GPU it would be a 5950 ultra......

Ion

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
NV's sudden rise was greatly helped by 3DFX's self destruction. 3DFX wanted to make cards by themselve which backfired and at same time Nvidia stunt them with TNT2/geforce.

Nvidia never really had a real competition till ATi released R300 anyway. Their respond was pretty obvious, the leafblower. The next release didn't improve much as well. While 5700ultra is a winner against 9600XT, it is <b>very hard</b> to find due to its monstrous production cost. As for 5900XT/SE/NU, Ape post a link few days back shows that there is no clear winner between them and 9600XT. And don't even talk about high-end, ATi simply spank Nvidia there.(unless u only read Tommy's review...)

One thing i do agree is that, Nvidia cant offer to screw up again or they will suffer the same fate as 3DFX and the repeat of single chip maker dominance......

Asus A7N8X Deluxe, Xp 2500+(3200+), 512MB RAM, HIS Radeon 9500Pro