Gigabyte 9800pro broken fan

SurferX

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2003
I have a Gigabyte-brand Radeon 9800pro and the fan seems to be in the process of dying. It's making very loud rattling and moaning noises and on top of being extremely annoying, I'm afraid of it just dying all of a sudden and overheating GPU.

I have tried to contact Gigabyte about getting a replacement fan but it seems their customer service is non-existant. I just bought this card in October of last year too so it's pretty dissapointing to be having this happen already, especially considering I keep my case very clean and dust it regularly.

Does anyone know how I can go about getting a replacement fan for this card? I can't seem to find any stores that sell just the fan and it is getting frustrating since I do not have an extra graphics card to throw in the computer while I take care of this one. Any help is appreciated.

agcheavin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2004
Just take it back to where you bought it and explain the problem...they will happily fix it for you.

Gary.

<font color=red>AMD 2700 XP<font color=red>
<font color=red>Gecube 9800 pro Extreme<font color=red>
<font color=blue>ASUS A7N8X deluxe<font color=blue>
<font color=blue>1024 meg Dual Channel DDR 3200<font color=blue>

SurferX

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2003
It was bought over the internet and I've contacted the store. They have a 90 day warranty on their products which has passed for me. So they told me that I need to get a replacement through the manufacturer (Gigabyte) instead but contacting them seems to be impossible. I've gotten no responses from them in all my attempts.

YYZ_Slayer

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2003
Heres a solution: PUT ANOTHER FAN ON IT!!!!! It aint that hard, even you might be able to figure it out.

Anyone who clames they can tell the difference between 450 and 500 FPS in Quake 3 should be severly beaten in the head with a rock. :eek:

SurferX

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2003
I believe I asked in my post where I can find a replacement fan that will fit the card correctly. It's a specific size and shape made to nest inside the heatsink, so I need a proper replacement. I am fully aware that I need to replace the fan, and am capable of doing so should I find a replacement part. If you can offer assistance on where I may find one (already checked my local electronics stores) I would appreciate it.

agcheavin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2004
Find a computer store in your area, not a department store but a "proper" computer place, ask them about it, they will be able to tell you who the distributer is in the area and will also be able to confirm that it's still under the manufacturers warrenty. Even if they don't repair it themselves, you may find them willing to send it on for you, or to give you a local contact number, hell, they may even have a spare fan out the back.

Gary

agcheavin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2004
I can tell the difference between 450 and 500 FPS in Quake 3, the numbers next to FPS are different !

Gary.

me so smart, sometimes head hurts it's that full of clever stuff.