ICS unusual problem

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc (More info?)

Hi

My ICS is playing up, from the client I can only get one page http page
from an url.... I did say "unusual" :)

I have a desktop with Windows ME a wireless adapter and a wired network
card.

I connect to this with a windows XP portable also with wireless adapter
(ad-hoc connection) or wired network card.

All has been working fine for many months now I seem to have a problem.

As far as I can tell the network works fine, I can explore shared
folders on each computer. I can even set up a TightVNC session ok.

On the internet from the Desktop (connected to internet) all internet
functions work fine email, http, ftp.

However from the laptop (using ICS from the desktop) email and ftp work
fine but I have problems with http connections and have tried firefox
and IE with the same results...

I can connect to one page of a website but if I ask for a second from
the same website the browser cannot retrieve the page!

I'm currently using the laptop using it's modem and there is no
problem, therefore I'm assuming as there are no problems with direct
connections from desktop or laptop and the network functions there must
be a problem with http connections via ICS.

Yes, I have firewalls but not different if I turn them all off inc. SP2
firewall.

Yes, I have done a windows update today I think there was a security
patch, update for windows installer and some other bits but nothing
which looked likely to cause this, IMHO, but I could well be wrong.

Any ideas?

Many Thanks

Richard

<richardewing@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> My ICS is playing up, from the client I can only get one page http page
> from an url.... I did say "unusual" :)

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc (More info?)

Many thanks, Interrogative, I'll take a look.

Since posting my original message I retored to before the windows
update and the problem has gone away. So looks like the source of the
problem is an update, maybe the PPPoE solution you suggest will help.

Cheers

Richard