Windows XP Home Edition problem

Ok here is my problem: Computer has Windows XP Home edition on it.
Basically when I go to search, nothing is there. There is the picture of
the dog but there are no options to about where to search or what to search
for, nothing, nada. Then, I can't get to Windows Update. It just gives me
a blank white screen and that is it. Also, when I try to go to download.com
to download Ad-Aware it says I have to buy it and there is no free download
yet when I go to download.com and use a different computer I get the free
download right there and then.

What could be causing this to happen? I've scanned with Spybot Search and
Destroy, Ad-Aware and Microsoft's Anti-Spyware program and they've all come
up with no spyware at all. Right now it is scanning with Avast anti-virus
overnight. I'm going to go in first thing in the morning and try to figure
out how I can fix this without having to reinstall the operating system.

Any clues?
3 answers Last reply
More about windows home edition problem

    First thing you should do is get rid of that stupid, annoying dog.

    Nocturnal wrote:

    > Ok here is my problem: Computer has Windows XP Home edition on it.
    > Basically when I go to search, nothing is there. There is the picture of
    > the dog but there are no options to about where to search or what to search
    > for, nothing, nada. Then, I can't get to Windows Update. It just gives me
    > a blank white screen and that is it. Also, when I try to go to download.com
    > to download Ad-Aware it says I have to buy it and there is no free download
    > yet when I go to download.com and use a different computer I get the free
    > download right there and then.
    >
    > What could be causing this to happen? I've scanned with Spybot Search and
    > Destroy, Ad-Aware and Microsoft's Anti-Spyware program and they've all come
    > up with no spyware at all. Right now it is scanning with Avast anti-virus
    > overnight. I'm going to go in first thing in the morning and try to figure
    > out how I can fix this without having to reinstall the operating system.
    >
    > Any clues?

    You have that option. Under Search preferences you can delete the animation.

    "Mikey" wrote:

    > First thing you should do is get rid of that stupid, annoying dog.
    >
    > Nocturnal wrote:
    >
    > > Ok here is my problem: Computer has Windows XP Home edition on it.
    > > Basically when I go to search, nothing is there. There is the picture of
    > > the dog but there are no options to about where to search or what to search
    > > for, nothing, nada. Then, I can't get to Windows Update. It just gives me
    > > a blank white screen and that is it. Also, when I try to go to download.com
    > > to download Ad-Aware it says I have to buy it and there is no free download
    > > yet when I go to download.com and use a different computer I get the free
    > > download right there and then.
    > >
    > > What could be causing this to happen? I've scanned with Spybot Search and
    > > Destroy, Ad-Aware and Microsoft's Anti-Spyware program and they've all come
    > > up with no spyware at all. Right now it is scanning with Avast anti-virus
    > > overnight. I'm going to go in first thing in the morning and try to figure
    > > out how I can fix this without having to reinstall the operating system.
    > >
    > > Any clues?

    Hi

    Please try the following link to Kelly's web site:

    "Why doesn't Search work?"

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    "Nocturnal" <nocturnal@anonymous.com> wrote in message
    > Ok here is my problem: Computer has Windows XP Home edition on it.
    > Basically when I go to search, nothing is there. There is the picture of
    > the dog but there are no options to about where to search or what to
    > search for, nothing, nada. Then, I can't get to Windows Update. It just
    > gives me a blank white screen and that is it. Also, when I try to go to
    > download.com to download Ad-Aware it says I have to buy it and there is no
    > free download yet when I go to download.com and use a different computer I
    > get the free download right there and then.
    >

    > What could be causing this to happen? I've scanned with Spybot Search and
    > Destroy, Ad-Aware and Microsoft's Anti-Spyware program and they've all
    > come up with no spyware at all. Right now it is scanning with Avast
    > anti-virus overnight. I'm going to go in first thing in the morning and
    > try to figure out how I can fix this without having to reinstall the
    > operating system.
    >

    > Any clues?

Download Windows XP