Windows XP Home Edition problem

Ok here is my problem: Computer has Windows XP Home edition on it.
Basically when I go to search, nothing is there. There is the picture of
the dog but there are no options to about where to search or what to search
for, nothing, nada. Then, I can't get to Windows Update. It just gives me
a blank white screen and that is it. Also, when I try to go to download.com
to download Ad-Aware it says I have to buy it and there is no free download
yet when I go to download.com and use a different computer I get the free
download right there and then.

What could be causing this to happen? I've scanned with Spybot Search and
Destroy, Ad-Aware and Microsoft's Anti-Spyware program and they've all come
up with no spyware at all. Right now it is scanning with Avast anti-virus
overnight. I'm going to go in first thing in the morning and try to figure
out how I can fix this without having to reinstall the operating system.

Any clues?

Mikey

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

First thing you should do is get rid of that stupid, annoying dog.

Nocturnal wrote:

> Ok here is my problem: Computer has Windows XP Home edition on it.
> Basically when I go to search, nothing is there. There is the picture of
> the dog but there are no options to about where to search or what to search
> for, nothing, nada. Then, I can't get to Windows Update. It just gives me
> a blank white screen and that is it. Also, when I try to go to download.com
> to download Ad-Aware it says I have to buy it and there is no free download
> yet when I go to download.com and use a different computer I get the free
> download right there and then.
>
> What could be causing this to happen? I've scanned with Spybot Search and
> Destroy, Ad-Aware and Microsoft's Anti-Spyware program and they've all come
> up with no spyware at all. Right now it is scanning with Avast anti-virus
> overnight. I'm going to go in first thing in the morning and try to figure
> out how I can fix this without having to reinstall the operating system.
>
> Any clues?

Byte

You have that option. Under Search preferences you can delete the animation.

"Mikey" wrote:

> First thing you should do is get rid of that stupid, annoying dog.
>
> Nocturnal wrote:
>
> > Ok here is my problem: Computer has Windows XP Home edition on it.
> > Basically when I go to search, nothing is there. There is the picture of
> > the dog but there are no options to about where to search or what to search
> > for, nothing, nada. Then, I can't get to Windows Update. It just gives me
> > a blank white screen and that is it. Also, when I try to go to download.com
> > to download Ad-Aware it says I have to buy it and there is no free download
> > yet when I go to download.com and use a different computer I get the free
> > download right there and then.
> >
> > What could be causing this to happen? I've scanned with Spybot Search and
> > Destroy, Ad-Aware and Microsoft's Anti-Spyware program and they've all come
> > up with no spyware at all. Right now it is scanning with Avast anti-virus
> > overnight. I'm going to go in first thing in the morning and try to figure
> > out how I can fix this without having to reinstall the operating system.
> >
> > Any clues?

Hi

Please try the following link to Kelly's web site:

"Why doesn't Search work?"

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups