buzzing monitor...

mediahub

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2003
Just recently my monitor has started making odd buzzing noises. It's a 17in Targa which I've had for about 4 years. It's never had a problem before. Is it trying to tell me to replace it? I know 4 years is quite a long time to have the same monitor especially when it's been my monitor on numerous systems through the years I've had it. However, I'd like to keep it for a while longer as I can't really afford a new one at the minute. Thanks for any help...

Kidrock

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2002
you havent hit it or knocked it when you may have got mad or for anyother reason and knocked something loose inside it, DO NOT TAKE IT APPART,but try and look inside for anything loose. or do you have a mobile or something that could be interfering with it?

God made adam and eve not adam and steve!!!!!!

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
It could be that the HV coil is simply wearing out - some transformers hum when they get older - or are about to blow up. If you know anything about electronics take it apart, and turn it on and listen to see if you can hear where the buzzing is coming from. DONT KILL YOURSELF!! as the coil produces about 20,000v which is enough to kill you easily.
If the noise is coming from the thing with the thick (usually red) wire coming from it going to the glass tube thats the coil, which might just be wearing out.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5467618 " target="_new">Almost Breaking 12k!!</A>

KWPLunchbox

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
My Sony E540 makes an odd buzzing noise if it doesn't get enough power like in a brown out. I doubt this is your problem but it helps to rule as much stuff out as possible.

<font color=purple>AMD XP 2200+, A7N8X, 512mb PC3200 Corsair XMS DDR, Geforce3 Ti-500, Audigy Platinum, TDK 48x CDRW, Lite-On 16x DVD, XP Pro, and more neon than a ghetto sled </font color=purple>

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Does this buzzing noise happen only in certain display modes?

Does the pitch of it vary according to what mode you are in?

When it starts buzzing does it continue buzzing constantly or does it stop after a few seconds?

If the buzzing is only in certain low res, low scan rate modes (640x480 60hz, for example) this may actually be nothing to worry about so long as the image is still correctly displayed. It could just be that the deflection frequencies are low enough for you to hear. (Put your ear to a Television set sometime, you should be able to hear the vertical deflection as a soft snapping sound)

If it peters out over time, it might simply be a "resonance" in a coil or back voltage in the CRT, from mode switching. Again this is probably nothing you need to worry about, so long as the displayed image is clear and stable.

If it is in all modes at varying pitches. Usually this is an indication that the "Flyback" transformer, which supplies high voltage to the picture tube is becoming weak.

If the pitch is constant, it could be the power supply transformer.

In any event, you probably should have the monitor checked by a qualified technician. A good quality monitor should last at least 6 or 8 years... and it's worth the cost of one or two repairs to keep a good one going.

TRENDING THREADS