Annoying repeating error message

I installed Service Pack 2 on my XP system over the weekend and have been hit
by a barrage of error messages.

Whenever I am online, I get dozens of messages that say this:

"ERROR 008B423F The service cannot accept control messages at this time: $"

Is there something wrong with my system or some sort of patch/fix that I
need to apply or download?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Shawn

Shawn,

Have you checked the Event Log for any clue?

Click Start, Run and type eventvwr.msc
Select System entry in the left pane
In the right-pane, look for the Error entry denoted by a Red X
Sort by date and track-down the entry based on what time the error exactly
occurred. Locate and double-click the entry and you'll see more information
in the resulting dialog, as given below:

<error>

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7031
Date: 4/13/2005
Time: 8:34:44 PM
User: N/A
Computer: SUPERCOMPUTER
The Print Spooler service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1
time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 60000
milliseconds: Restart the service.

</error>

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Shawnlevy" <Shawnlevy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I installed Service Pack 2 on my XP system over the weekend and have been
>hit
> by a barrage of error messages.
>
> Whenever I am online, I get dozens of messages that say this:
>
> "ERROR 008B423F The service cannot accept control messages at this time:
> $"
>
> Is there something wrong with my system or some sort of patch/fix that I
> need to apply or download?
>
> Thanks in advance for your input.
>
> Shawn

Excellent advice! Thank you so much!

Turns out I had two computers on the same network with the same name (named
'em years apart, too: I must like that name!). Easy fix.

Thanks again for your help,

Shawn

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Shawn,
>
> Have you checked the Event Log for any clue?
>
> Click Start, Run and type eventvwr.msc
> Select System entry in the left pane
> In the right-pane, look for the Error entry denoted by a Red X
> Sort by date and track-down the entry based on what time the error exactly
> occurred. Locate and double-click the entry and you'll see more information
> in the resulting dialog, as given below:
>
> <error>
>
> Event Type: Error
> Event Source: Service Control Manager
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 7031
> Date: 4/13/2005
> Time: 8:34:44 PM
> User: N/A
> Computer: SUPERCOMPUTER
> The Print Spooler service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1
> time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 60000
> milliseconds: Restart the service.
>
> </error>
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Shawnlevy" <Shawnlevy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I installed Service Pack 2 on my XP system over the weekend and have been
> >hit
> > by a barrage of error messages.
> >
> > Whenever I am online, I get dozens of messages that say this:
> >
> > "ERROR 008B423F The service cannot accept control messages at this time:
> > $"
> >
> > Is there something wrong with my system or some sort of patch/fix that I
> > need to apply or download?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your input.
> >
> > Shawn

Hi Shawn,

You're very welcome, and thanks for posting back!

--

> [...]

>> The Print Spooler service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1
>> time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 60000
>> milliseconds: Restart the service.
>>
>> </error>
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Shawnlevy" <Shawnlevy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I installed Service Pack 2 on my XP system over the weekend and have
>> >been
>> >hit
>> > by a barrage of error messages.
>> >
>> > Whenever I am online, I get dozens of messages that say this:
>> >
>> > "ERROR 008B423F The service cannot accept control messages at this
>> > time:
>> > $"
>> >
>> > Is there something wrong with my system or some sort of patch/fix that

TRENDING THREADS