Multiple Monitor Woes

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I've just built a new P4 2.8 system here at work, and can't get my secondary display working.

the hardware:
P4 2.8 800FSB
Aopen i848 mobo (on board sound & LAN)
512Mb DDR400
primary VGA - Geforce2 MX AGP
secondary VGA - Ati RAGE XL PCI (ancient I know...)
XP Pro

The ATI card is installed quite happily in device manager, but it doesn't appear under display properties at all.

I was using this card as a secondary display under win98 (not SE) for a couple of years with no problems, so I don't understand why it doesn't want to work with XP pro.

Have they simply stopped supporting this thing as a secondary card? This is driving me nuts.

Any ideas?

---
<font color=red>Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us who do.</font color=red> :wink:

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
youve got a monitor plugged into it right? or maybe its not detecting it.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 64.246.52.144:27015
now featuring (optional) cheating death!

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Yup. Got the same monitor plugged into it as I have had for a couple of years, the card's just in a different PC with a different OS. Screen is just blank, and the power light just flashes as though it's not recieving a signal at all.

Looks like either XP pro doesn't support the card as a secondary one, or I somehow managed to kill the card when removing it or installing it.

I had to download a new XP driver from Ati's website before the card appeared happy in device manager, but now it does & it just doesn't appear in display properties.

---
<font color=red>Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us who do.</font color=red> :wink:

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
erm... BUMP!

OK, if no-one has any ideas what's wrong with this one, any suggestions for a replacement second card? Something fairly cheap?

I've looked around, and I can get a PCI Radeon 7000 fairly cheaply. Anyone know if XP will be happy with an AGP Geforce2 and a PCI Radeon 7000? Or will the drivers go to war with each other?

I can also get a PCI Geforce2 MX400 for around the same price, but It's a bit more of a pain to order as I'd have to go through work, but if it's more likely to play nicely then I'd go that route.

Opinions people? Thanks.

[EDIT]
Just had a thought - could my initial problems have been due to mixing nvidia and ATI anyway? (in my 98 machine the primary card was another Ati one)
[/EDIT]

---
<font color=red>Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us who do.</font color=red> :wink: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ChipDeath on 03/03/04 09:22 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Bump again...

Anyone? Anyone successfully got a PCI ATI card working alongside an AGP nvidia one? Or should I stick with nvidia everywhere?

---