improving speed of net game

hi folks

i'm playing a net game with 5 mates from work, if we have 4 in at once the
game starts to struggle, its playable but i'd like it a little smoother.

running medium db, english league (all divs), no other leagues

host is a amd 64 3500, 1024 ram, 20gb free on swap file h/d, 2mb down 256k
up on the net connection

all other players are on broadband and minimum spec will be around 1.5
athlon (thought they're all probably higher if i rememeber correctly

any tweaks or is it a hardware upgrade needed on the host? (ie me!)

thanks in advance

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 00:05:24 GMT, "KingCreole"
<creole@mybigmouthnospam.com> wrote:

>hi folks
>
>i'm playing a net game with 5 mates from work, if we have 4 in at once the
>game starts to struggle, its playable but i'd like it a little smoother.
>
>running medium db, english league (all divs), no other leagues
>
>host is a amd 64 3500, 1024 ram, 20gb free on swap file h/d, 2mb down 256k
>up on the net connection
>
>all other players are on broadband and minimum spec will be around 1.5
>athlon (thought they're all probably higher if i rememeber correctly
>
>any tweaks or is it a hardware upgrade needed on the host? (ie me!)
>
>thanks in advance

no, its just pretty slow over the net atm.

one way to improve the speed would be to disable all player pics and
team kits/logo's in the game preferences screen. iirc that makes it go
a bit faster.
--

gamertag: chrisflynnuk
Live Line-up: RS3, RS3:BA, PGR2, Links04, SC:pT, Toca2, RSC2, MM3,

"Chris F" <chris@asif.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 00:05:24 GMT, "KingCreole"
> <creole@mybigmouthnospam.com> wrote:
>
>>hi folks
>>
>>i'm playing a net game with 5 mates from work, if we have 4 in at once the
>>game starts to struggle, its playable but i'd like it a little smoother.
>>
>>running medium db, english league (all divs), no other leagues
>>
>>host is a amd 64 3500, 1024 ram, 20gb free on swap file h/d, 2mb down 256k
>>up on the net connection
>>
>>all other players are on broadband and minimum spec will be around 1.5
>>athlon (thought they're all probably higher if i rememeber correctly
>>
>>any tweaks or is it a hardware upgrade needed on the host? (ie me!)
>>
>>thanks in advance
>>
> no, its just pretty slow over the net atm.
>
> one way to improve the speed would be to disable all player pics and
> team kits/logo's in the game preferences screen. iirc that makes it go
> a bit faster.
> --
>
> gamertag: chrisflynnuk
> Live Line-up: RS3, RS3:BA, PGR2, Links04, SC:pT, Toca2, RSC2, MM3,
> SWAT, MotoGP2, Burnout3, OutRun2(Demo), FSW

cool. i'll give it a blast next time we're on. thanks

"KingCreole" <creole@mybigmouthnospam.com> wrote in message
> hi folks
>
> i'm playing a net game with 5 mates from work, if we have 4 in at once the
> game starts to struggle, its playable but i'd like it a little smoother.
>
> running medium db, english league (all divs), no other leagues
>
> host is a amd 64 3500, 1024 ram, 20gb free on swap file h/d, 2mb down 256k
> up on the net connection
>
> all other players are on broadband and minimum spec will be around 1.5
> athlon (thought they're all probably higher if i rememeber correctly
>
> any tweaks or is it a hardware upgrade needed on the host? (ie me!)
>
> thanks in advance

20gb on the page file?

page file is very slow, if you have 1024mb actual RAM then the page file
should only be set at 850 MB 1200MB at maximum

using large page files slows the hard drive down which ultimately slows the
whole computer down, its like the game is using the hard disc, but the hard
disc is trying to emulate memory, in fact having a smaller page file is
best, none at all would be ideal

thats why people with over 1 gig ram shouldnt really have a page file at
all! and if so only a small 400 MB page file

seriously lower the page file to 1200MB and try, if its no better you can
always set it back to 20 gb... thats immense!! not needed at all 1024mb
physical memory should easilly be enough, i run fm05 on a 750 MB page file
with 512mb ram, and have ran it on a 800mb page file with 256 mb ram

it was smooth.

try it

HTH

chris

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 01:30:04 -0000, "Christo" <chris@juststuffd.co.uk>
wrote:

>"KingCreole" <creole@mybigmouthnospam.com> wrote in message
>> hi folks
>>
>> i'm playing a net game with 5 mates from work, if we have 4 in at once the
>> game starts to struggle, its playable but i'd like it a little smoother.
>>
>> running medium db, english league (all divs), no other leagues
>>
>> host is a amd 64 3500, 1024 ram, 20gb free on swap file h/d, 2mb down 256k
>> up on the net connection
>>
>> all other players are on broadband and minimum spec will be around 1.5
>> athlon (thought they're all probably higher if i rememeber correctly
>>
>> any tweaks or is it a hardware upgrade needed on the host? (ie me!)
>>
>> thanks in advance
>>

>20gb on the page file?
>
>page file is very slow, if you have 1024mb actual RAM then the page file
>should only be set at 850 MB 1200MB at maximum
>
>using large page files slows the hard drive down which ultimately slows the
>whole computer down, its like the game is using the hard disc, but the hard
>disc is trying to emulate memory, in fact having a smaller page file is
>best, none at all would be ideal
>
>thats why people with over 1 gig ram shouldnt really have a page file at
>all! and if so only a small 400 MB page file
>
>seriously lower the page file to 1200MB and try, if its no better you can
>always set it back to 20 gb... thats immense!! not needed at all 1024mb
>physical memory should easilly be enough, i run fm05 on a 750 MB page file
>with 512mb ram, and have ran it on a 800mb page file with 256 mb ram
>
>it was smooth.

i dont think he was meaning he had a 20gb swap file, just that there
is 20gb free on the hard disk the swap file is on...