Cleaning Notebook - Keyboard screws stripped?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PleaseHelpMeKK

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012
So I have not took out the keyboard ever, but I always took apart a few pieces to clean better with dust off

I have HP dv7-1245dx and the 4 keyboard screws are almost stripped with no thread.... i used the appropriate screwdrivers but it did not get them lose

could a few years have welded these keys shut? I really need to clean the fan of this computer =/ temperatures are getting too high and yes i use a good notebook cooler! :(

It seems unlikely that the screws would be subjected to enough heat to weld them - the more common thing would be to find that they had used locktite on those screws. Try using a quality 00 philips head (they are hard to find - hobby shops are a good source) driver, don't try to force the screw to remove it - turn until resistance, back off, repeat. It is important that you do not completely strip the screw head since "drilling out" the screws isn't really a feasable option (if you get to that point, I would suggest taking it to a professional).

PleaseHelpMeKK

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012
what your saying doesnt really make too much sense?
what gap am i filling? the screws are almost stripped froma X to a star head shape

also - i am using quality tools already thats why i am worried they are welded from the heat.... my screwdrivers fit PERFECTLY and i use a phillips and flathead and both failed, after some pressure i got minimal stripping, and to the others i tried with mass pressure and they only stripped

yes lefty loosy righty tighty , but the screws are tighter than usual... trust me they are to the point where you would be like wtf, let me post on forum

I do not want to super glue the screwdriver into the screw to unscrew them, because then i ruin my quality tools

The screws are tight because they are glued to the hole. But it shouldn't be to tight that it can't be removed.

The stripped X on the screw don't fit the screw driver. But you can put a rubber band in between to fill in the gap for more grip between the screw and the driver.

ts504-remove-stripped-screw-step2-use-wide-rubber-band-450x394.jpg

The screws are not of the best quality (obviously), I've ruined a few during removal but have always managed, through some perseverance, to pull them before total destruction of the head.
I read through quite a few threads on stripped screws and found not much useful, the rubber band to add friction trick as mentioned by Pyree; or using a torqs bit (that fits the stripped area) - I don't know about that, but it could work; or drilling it out (again, I don't suggest that unless absolutely no other options work); or even grasping the head (if not flush) with wire nippers to try turning it.
I suppose they are all somewhat viable methods to try at this point

Status
Not open for further replies.