CD & DVD Reading Causes Intermittent Crashes

I am running XP SP2. I have an intermittant problem where when either my
dvd-rom or dvd-rw is accessed, XP crashes.

Sometimes it will open a disc just fine, and then will crash the next time
you put one in. Or it will crash the first time. Or it will crash when you
close an app that reads discs such as burning software. The crash is a blue
screen of death that ends up doing a memory dump.

I have run memtest and no problem there. I have upgraded my BIOS,
reinstalled my chipset drivers. I have replaced my cdrom.sys file. There
are no drivers out for either of the drives, the dvd-rom is a Creative model
DVD1610E and the burner is a Plextor PX-712A.

The entry in the event viewer is:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000c4
(0x00000081, 0x81542628, 0x00000042, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in:
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini041205-05.dmp.

If anyone could help I would really appreciate it, this problem is severely
hampering a large video project I am working on.
3 answers Last reply
More about reading intermittent crashes

    "Jude Lucien" wrote:

    > I am running XP SP2. I have an intermittant problem where when either my
    > dvd-rom or dvd-rw is accessed, XP crashes.
    >
    > Sometimes it will open a disc just fine, and then will crash the next time
    > you put one in. Or it will crash the first time. Or it will crash when you
    > close an app that reads discs such as burning software. The crash is a blue
    > screen of death that ends up doing a memory dump.
    >
    > I have run memtest and no problem there. I have upgraded my BIOS,
    > reinstalled my chipset drivers. I have replaced my cdrom.sys file. There
    > are no drivers out for either of the drives, the dvd-rom is a Creative model
    > DVD1610E and the burner is a Plextor PX-712A.
    >
    > The entry in the event viewer is:
    > The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000c4
    > (0x00000081, 0x81542628, 0x00000042, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in:
    > C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini041205-05.dmp.
    >
    > If anyone could help I would really appreciate it, this problem is severely
    > hampering a large video project I am working on.

    Sounds very similar to what happened to me last night but with a different
    error code.The link below says that a stop msg. of 0x000000c4 is driver
    related.
    http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php

    What I did and it seems to be working (so far) is I uninstall my burner that
    was causing the problem by the device manager,rebooted and then reinstall
    it,.If you do not physically uninstall the drives windows should detect new
    hardware at the reboot and reinstall the drivers.I'm geussing that the
    drivers your drives are using have somehow become corrupted and this should
    replace them with new ones.

    "are no drivers out for either of the drives"
    Your drives are using windows supplied drivers.

    Please post back and tell me if this helped or not,Good luck.

    > "Jude Lucien" wrote:
    >
    > > I am running XP SP2. I have an intermittant problem where when either my
    > > dvd-rom or dvd-rw is accessed, XP crashes.
    > >
    > > Sometimes it will open a disc just fine, and then will crash the next time
    > > you put one in. Or it will crash the first time. Or it will crash when you
    > > close an app that reads discs such as burning software. The crash is a blue
    > > screen of death that ends up doing a memory dump.
    > >
    > > I have run memtest and no problem there. I have upgraded my BIOS,
    > > reinstalled my chipset drivers. I have replaced my cdrom.sys file. There
    > > are no drivers out for either of the drives, the dvd-rom is a Creative model
    > > DVD1610E and the burner is a Plextor PX-712A.
    > >
    > > The entry in the event viewer is:
    > > The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000c4
    > > (0x00000081, 0x81542628, 0x00000042, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in:
    > > C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini041205-05.dmp.
    > >
    > > If anyone could help I would really appreciate it, this problem is severely
    > > hampering a large video project I am working on.
    >
    > Sounds very similar to what happened to me last night but with a different
    > error code.The link below says that a stop msg. of 0x000000c4 is driver
    > related.
    > http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php
    >
    > What I did and it seems to be working (so far) is I uninstall my burner that
    > was causing the problem by the device manager,rebooted and then reinstall
    > it,.If you do not physically uninstall the drives windows should detect new
    > hardware at the reboot and reinstall the drivers.I'm geussing that the
    > drivers your drives are using have somehow become corrupted and this should
    > replace them with new ones.
    >
    > "are no drivers out for either of the drives"
    > Your drives are using windows supplied drivers.
    >
    > Please post back and tell me if this helped or not,Good luck.

    Nope, no luck. Took the first disc in the Creative drive just fine, put a
    disc in the Plextor and it crashed. Event Viewer:

    The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000c4
    (0x00000081, 0x823cdab8, 0x0000008a, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in:
    C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini041405-01.dmp.

    The third number is different than before. Where are the MVP's on this?
    This is a serious problem, I really don't want to reinstall *yet* again to
    fix a problem.

    Thanks for your help, MAP - any other suggestions?

    The problem was the Driver Verifier.

    Open the verifier by Start>Run>verifier
    Select "Delete existing settings"
    Click Finish (or ok, or whatever)

    That's it. After a reboot I haven't had the problem since.

    Thanks to MAP who's suggestion pointed me in the right direction to find the
    problem.

Crash Windows XP