Scratch

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2005

I recently had my operating system reinstalled, and now my fan is running all
the time while using AC power. How do I reset it so it only runs when
necessary, like it did prior to reinstallation of the OS?

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 09:11:06 -0700, "Scratch"
<Scratch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>I recently had my operating system reinstalled, and now my fan is running all
>the time while using AC power. How do I reset it so it only runs when
>necessary, like it did prior to reinstallation of the OS?

On my computer, that is set in the BIOS

John Thomas Smith
http://www.direct2usales.com
http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

it's in the BIOS. They changed the BIOS. THere are other possibliities
but they would be a little bit outrageous.

What may have happened, was they restored the BIOS to default settings
- which were probably for the fan to run all the time.

I'm not sure who makes you computer but I know of a similar situation with
Gateway PCs. At their service centers (when they had them) the first step of
a repair was to run a disk that would update the BIOS. This would load the
default settings and change ones that are not even listed. One of the
reasons for this was machines that were designed to be quiet would slow down
the fans and overheat the processors. The newer BIOS revisions would tell
the fan to run constantly to keep the processor from killing itself. So if
it's a computer built by a major manufacturer, I'd say you should keep it the
way it is now.

Then again it could also be cat hair blocking the airflow.

-Nate

"Scratch" wrote:

> I recently had my operating system reinstalled, and now my fan is running all
> the time while using AC power. How do I reset it so it only runs when
> necessary, like it did prior to reinstallation of the OS?

I'm in the same spot. I just installed Windows XP (service Pack 2),
overwriting Millenium Edition. During that process, the fan began to run hard
all the time. I'd love to find out how to get it to behave as it did under
ME: The fan would run hard during the first 30 seconds or so of the startup
proceedure. After that, it would automatically slow way down, and run nice
and quietly.

The problem is serious enough that I no longer feel I can edit audio using
this system (its main purpose in life). The fan noise is still very audible
when I'm wearing ear-enclosing headphones.

If BIOS is the culprit, can it be edited?

Thanks for any clues you can offer!

Best,
Rod

"Scratch" wrote:

> I recently had my operating system reinstalled, and now my fan is running all
> the time while using AC power. How do I reset it so it only runs when
> necessary, like it did prior to reinstallation of the OS?

cpu=processor

The BIOS can only tell the fan to vary the speed according to how much
the CPU needs cooling. But it appears that you already have it set to
that. THere is nothing more you can do in the BIOS. THe reason why it
runs more in Windows xp is because Windows XP works the cpu more so
heats it up more, so the cpu fan spins faster.

Your problem is a noisy computer.

One option is to run the processor at a lower speed.so it will be
cooler. This can be done in the BIOS. It will slow down your computer.
(or you could install a really fast processor and underclock it i.e.
run it at a lower speed - like the speed your current processor is
running at)

Another option is to buy a specially designed quiet cpu fan, there are
loads of companies out there making them, like Zalman, and they're very
cheap.

Another option is to buy a KVM Extender and move the box far away. So
you sit with your keyboard video(monitor) and mouse in one place. And
the box far away in another place.

Another way that helps muffle the sound, is if you have a small
cupboard about the size of the computer box. The cupboard shold be
below you, at chair level, tucked under the table. Open the door of
the cupboard, put the computer in there. Rip off the back of the
cupboard so the computer can get air from outside. Close the door at
the front of the cupboard. That quietens it alot.

There are other fans, like the power supply fan that is usually the
noisiest. But that could only possibly get worse if you added a new
device in there. Since you only changed software, it has to be the cpu
fan.

also you can buy cheap 5.25" bays with fan controller knobs on them
that you can turn and vary the fan speed. But I don't think it
regulates the CPU fan since that is 3 wires. It does case fans that
are 2 wires.

You could use it to regulate the CPU fan, but you would have to know
which of the 3 wires of the CPU fan is +, which is -, which is for
reading the fan speed. yellow is sensing. (black is -, red is +).
If one is yellow then you would cut it. Then you want to put those
2 wires into a 2-pin connector. so you could buy a case fan (these are
2 wire) and cut off the fan, so you have 2 wires and a 2-pin connector.
Then tiw the 'case fans 2 wires' to the cpu fan's 2 wires. Then plug
the cpu fan into the 5.25" regulator!

Either way. monitor the cpu temperature. that is very very easy. it is
shown in the bios.

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Rod Brown wrote:

> I'm in the same spot. I just installed Windows XP (service Pack 2),
> overwriting Millenium Edition. During that process, the fan began to run hard
> all the time. I'd love to find out how to get it to behave as it did under
> ME: The fan would run hard during the first 30 seconds or so of the startup
> proceedure. After that, it would automatically slow way down, and run nice
> and quietly.
>
> The problem is serious enough that I no longer feel I can edit audio using
> this system (its main purpose in life). The fan noise is still very audible
> when I'm wearing ear-enclosing headphones.
>
> If BIOS is the culprit, can it be edited?
>
> Thanks for any clues you can offer!
>
> Best,
> Rod

It may never behave the same as running 98x. XP uses all the cycles you
can throw at it. I wouldn't even think of installing it on an 98X class
comp. its designed to continue doing housekeeping during an idle state.
So even if your BIOS allows you to set the fan to only run fast when
needed XP may still keep your comp very busy indeed, certainly while you
are using it.

John

Another thing just occured to me. On a lot of manufacturers like toshiba and
sony, the power management and fan control are part of a software package
that comes on the laptop from the factory. You may want to go to the support
section of your manufacturer's website and download the appropriate software.

-Nate