HELP Please?!! I had a system crash and I cannot boot to WinXP Pro. I cannot
find the ASR disk and cannot get anything to run. Tech Info 0x000000ED
(0x823D82F8, 0xc0000102, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Cannot boot to safe mode or any other, Seems I can reinstall winXP, but I'm
not sure that's tehanswer, the disk wants to either setup a new OS sise by
side or to reformat C drive. I have my data on partitions other than C,
except my pst file for emails.

Can I download a ASR diskette data?

Hi

Please try the following link to Jim Eshelman's web site - left hand
column(ED):

http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"MarcoPolo" <MarcoPolo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> HELP Please?!! I had a system crash and I cannot boot to WinXP Pro. I
> cannot
> find the ASR disk and cannot get anything to run. Tech Info 0x000000ED
> (0x823D82F8, 0xc0000102, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
>
> Cannot boot to safe mode or any other, Seems I can reinstall winXP, but
> I'm
> not sure that's tehanswer, the disk wants to either setup a new OS sise by
> side or to reformat C drive. I have my data on partitions other than C,
> except my pst file for emails.
>
> Can I download a ASR diskette data?

Most of the time this works for me:

Boot off the Windows XP CD-ROM and select "r" at the first screen. When you
get to the command prompt, type "chkdsk /r", then order a pizza and watch all
3 Godfather movies. Out of the 30 or so times I've seen this problem, it's
only failed once. If this works and a week later it comes back, time for a
new hard drive.

-Nate

"MarcoPolo" wrote:

> HELP Please?!! I had a system crash and I cannot boot to WinXP Pro. I cannot
> find the ASR disk and cannot get anything to run. Tech Info 0x000000ED
> (0x823D82F8, 0xc0000102, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
>
> Cannot boot to safe mode or any other, Seems I can reinstall winXP, but I'm
> not sure that's tehanswer, the disk wants to either setup a new OS sise by
> side or to reformat C drive. I have my data on partitions other than C,
> except my pst file for emails.
>
> Can I download a ASR diskette data?

The darn thing acts like it's just a software conflict, but I can't remember
my admin password. I can't get my DOS bootdisk to recognize any drive other
than A drive. I don't think it's a hard drive failure problem, bu then again,
I've had hard luck on hard drives. The XP disk wants to reinstall an
operating system along side the OS it 'sees' already installed. Won't is
ususally just overwrite the existing OS?

"Nate" wrote:

> Most of the time this works for me:
>
> Boot off the Windows XP CD-ROM and select "r" at the first screen. When you
> get to the command prompt, type "chkdsk /r", then order a pizza and watch all
> 3 Godfather movies. Out of the 30 or so times I've seen this problem, it's
> only failed once. If this works and a week later it comes back, time for a
> new hard drive.
>
> -Nate
>

> "MarcoPolo" wrote:
>
> > HELP Please?!! I had a system crash and I cannot boot to WinXP Pro. I cannot
> > find the ASR disk and cannot get anything to run. Tech Info 0x000000ED
> > (0x823D82F8, 0xc0000102, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
> >
> > Cannot boot to safe mode or any other, Seems I can reinstall winXP, but I'm
> > not sure that's tehanswer, the disk wants to either setup a new OS sise by
> > side or to reformat C drive. I have my data on partitions other than C,
> > except my pst file for emails.
> >
> > Can I download a ASR diskette data?

When you boot from the XP disc and choose "r" for recovery to run chkdsk it
just checks the drive for bad sectors and repairs them. If you went further
through the setup process, there is another "r" option that will repair all
the system files. This process looks like it is reinstalling the OS but it's
just a repair function. If you forgot the admin password and can't get into
the recovery console, I'd suggest checking out a utility made by Passware at
http://www.lostpassword.com

-Nate

"MarcoPolo" wrote:

> The darn thing acts like it's just a software conflict, but I can't remember
> my admin password. I can't get my DOS bootdisk to recognize any drive other
> than A drive. I don't think it's a hard drive failure problem, bu then again,
> I've had hard luck on hard drives. The XP disk wants to reinstall an
> operating system along side the OS it 'sees' already installed. Won't is
> ususally just overwrite the existing OS?
>
> "Nate" wrote:
>
> > Most of the time this works for me:
> >
> > Boot off the Windows XP CD-ROM and select "r" at the first screen. When you
> > get to the command prompt, type "chkdsk /r", then order a pizza and watch all
> > 3 Godfather movies. Out of the 30 or so times I've seen this problem, it's
> > only failed once. If this works and a week later it comes back, time for a
> > new hard drive.
> >
> > -Nate
> >

> > "MarcoPolo" wrote:
> >
> > > HELP Please?!! I had a system crash and I cannot boot to WinXP Pro. I cannot
> > > find the ASR disk and cannot get anything to run. Tech Info 0x000000ED
> > > (0x823D82F8, 0xc0000102, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
> > >
> > > Cannot boot to safe mode or any other, Seems I can reinstall winXP, but I'm
> > > not sure that's tehanswer, the disk wants to either setup a new OS sise by
> > > side or to reformat C drive. I have my data on partitions other than C,
> > > except my pst file for emails.
> > >
> > > Can I download a ASR diskette data?

Most of the time? How often do you do this? Are you a glutton for punishment?
I tried all of the above, ended up reinstalling Windows XP over the previous
install. Got most of the way through reinstalling the needed programs after
the OS, then I got the Unmountable Boot Volume again. This time tried allof
teh above suggestions chdsk /r and /p and fixboot. No luck. I'm reinstalling
WinXP again, and willattempt to get my data off before trying fixmbr. After
that, i don't know what ot, buy a Mac?
Any suggestions? Seems I'm hard on hard drive, I've had 5 or 6 on 3-4
different computers in the last couple years. I thought these things would
last longer.
John

"Nate" wrote:

> When you boot from the XP disc and choose "r" for recovery to run chkdsk it
> just checks the drive for bad sectors and repairs them. If you went further
> through the setup process, there is another "r" option that will repair all
> the system files. This process looks like it is reinstalling the OS but it's
> just a repair function. If you forgot the admin password and can't get into
> the recovery console, I'd suggest checking out a utility made by Passware at
> http://www.lostpassword.com
>
> -Nate
>
> "MarcoPolo" wrote:
>
> > The darn thing acts like it's just a software conflict, but I can't remember
> > my admin password. I can't get my DOS bootdisk to recognize any drive other
> > than A drive. I don't think it's a hard drive failure problem, bu then again,
> > I've had hard luck on hard drives. The XP disk wants to reinstall an
> > operating system along side the OS it 'sees' already installed. Won't is
> > ususally just overwrite the existing OS?
> >
> > "Nate" wrote:
> >
> > > Most of the time this works for me:
> > >
> > > Boot off the Windows XP CD-ROM and select "r" at the first screen. When you
> > > get to the command prompt, type "chkdsk /r", then order a pizza and watch all
> > > 3 Godfather movies. Out of the 30 or so times I've seen this problem, it's
> > > only failed once. If this works and a week later it comes back, time for a
> > > new hard drive.
> > >
> > > -Nate

Yes. Buy a Mac.

"MarcoPolo" wrote:

> Most of the time? How often do you do this? Are you a glutton for punishment?
> I tried all of the above, ended up reinstalling Windows XP over the previous
> install. Got most of the way through reinstalling the needed programs after
> the OS, then I got the Unmountable Boot Volume again. This time tried allof
> teh above suggestions chdsk /r and /p and fixboot. No luck. I'm reinstalling
> WinXP again, and willattempt to get my data off before trying fixmbr. After
> that, i don't know what ot, buy a Mac?
> Any suggestions? Seems I'm hard on hard drive, I've had 5 or 6 on 3-4
> different computers in the last couple years. I thought these things would
> last longer.
> John
>

> "Nate" wrote:
>
> > When you boot from the XP disc and choose "r" for recovery to run chkdsk it
> > just checks the drive for bad sectors and repairs them. If you went further
> > through the setup process, there is another "r" option that will repair all
> > the system files. This process looks like it is reinstalling the OS but it's
> > just a repair function. If you forgot the admin password and can't get into
> > the recovery console, I'd suggest checking out a utility made by Passware at
> > http://www.lostpassword.com
> >
> > -Nate
> >
> > "MarcoPolo" wrote:
> >
> > > The darn thing acts like it's just a software conflict, but I can't remember
> > > my admin password. I can't get my DOS bootdisk to recognize any drive other
> > > than A drive. I don't think it's a hard drive failure problem, bu then again,
> > > I've had hard luck on hard drives. The XP disk wants to reinstall an
> > > operating system along side the OS it 'sees' already installed. Won't is
> > > ususally just overwrite the existing OS?

Or that I've bothered you long enough and that I should just go away, with
out any resolution. Well, I'm not sure if you are being facecious or are
really telling me there are better, more stable operating systems out there.
I've used Microsoft for a long time, is there no way to recover fromthis? Is
the hard drive usually the culprit (fried), or is this generally a software
conflict? What does your experience tell you, is it usual for the
repair/recovery console to not be able to fix this situation? I'm trying to
get the data off themachine now, but the network connection will not work.
ANY help woulld be appreciated!
Thanks,
John

"Nate" wrote:

> Yes. Buy a Mac.
>
> "MarcoPolo" wrote:
>
> > Most of the time? How often do you do this? Are you a glutton for punishment?
> > I tried all of the above, ended up reinstalling Windows XP over the previous
> > install. Got most of the way through reinstalling the needed programs after
> > the OS, then I got the Unmountable Boot Volume again. This time tried allof
> > teh above suggestions chdsk /r and /p and fixboot. No luck. I'm reinstalling
> > WinXP again, and willattempt to get my data off before trying fixmbr. After
> > that, i don't know what ot, buy a Mac?
> > Any suggestions? Seems I'm hard on hard drive, I've had 5 or 6 on 3-4
> > different computers in the last couple years. I thought these things would
> > last longer.
> > John
> >

> > "Nate" wrote:
> >
> > > When you boot from the XP disc and choose "r" for recovery to run chkdsk it
> > > just checks the drive for bad sectors and repairs them. If you went further
> > > through the setup process, there is another "r" option that will repair all
> > > the system files. This process looks like it is reinstalling the OS but it's
> > > just a repair function. If you forgot the admin password and can't get into
> > > the recovery console, I'd suggest checking out a utility made by Passware at
> > > http://www.lostpassword.com
> > >
> > > -Nate

Buy a Mac.