Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

DOS Program Will Not Print

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 5:37:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I have a DOS program (Volkswriter) that will not print in XP. I have
thousands of documents that we are converting but need to still use
them in the mean time. When I print, it doesn't list any errors, just
acts like it prints but nothing comes out of the printer! Any help?
Thanks.

Tony McDonald

More about : dos program print

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 5:37:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Tony M. wrote:
> I have a DOS program (Volkswriter) that will not print in XP. I have
> thousands of documents that we are converting but need to still use
> them in the mean time. When I print, it doesn't list any errors, just
> acts like it prints but nothing comes out of the printer! Any help?
> Thanks.
>
> Tony McDonald

Maybe the author's of Volkswriter know. MAybe it's a USB thing, in
which case perhaps people in DOS newsgroups will know or google for dos
usb drivers. In the mean time I suggest working around it. Print in
windows 98 or boot to DOS off a boot disk / boot CD. Nero express
(included in nero) has an easy wizard for making a boot cd.
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 7:35:52 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

In article <1113420583.015791.181570@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
james hanley <jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>Tony M. wrote:
>> I have a DOS program (Volkswriter) that will not print in XP. I have
>> thousands of documents that we are converting but need to still use
>> them in the mean time. When I print, it doesn't list any errors, just
>> acts like it prints but nothing comes out of the printer! Any help?
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Tony McDonald
>
>Maybe the author's of Volkswriter know. MAybe it's a USB thing, in
>which case perhaps people in DOS newsgroups will know or google for dos
>usb drivers. In the mean time I suggest working around it. Print in
>windows 98 or boot to DOS off a boot disk / boot CD. Nero express
>(included in nero) has an easy wizard for making a boot cd.
>


Did this app _ever_ print on a w2k/XP machine ?

What error message do you get ?

Are you printing right to LPT: or are you trying to print to the
spooler?



--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
Related resources
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 1:01:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Yes, it did print on this very computer. We had a tech guy from ADP
dial in and make some changed for uploading a financial statement
electronically. After that, the DOS program quit printing. It is
printing to the LPT1 port, I'll check the spool thing but I don't
think the ADP guy fooled with that part at all. Also, I'm not getting
any error messages, it just does like it always did except that
nothing comes out of the printer! Thanks

On 13 Apr 2005 15:35:52 -0400, adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote:

>In article <1113420583.015791.181570@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
>james hanley <jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>Tony M. wrote:
>>> I have a DOS program (Volkswriter) that will not print in XP. I have
>>> thousands of documents that we are converting but need to still use
>>> them in the mean time. When I print, it doesn't list any errors, just
>>> acts like it prints but nothing comes out of the printer! Any help?
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Tony McDonald
>>
>>Maybe the author's of Volkswriter know. MAybe it's a USB thing, in
>>which case perhaps people in DOS newsgroups will know or google for dos
>>usb drivers. In the mean time I suggest working around it. Print in
>>windows 98 or boot to DOS off a boot disk / boot CD. Nero express
>>(included in nero) has an easy wizard for making a boot cd.
>>
>
>
>Did this app _ever_ print on a w2k/XP machine ?
>
>What error message do you get ?
>
>Are you printing right to LPT: or are you trying to print to the
>spooler?
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 2:09:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

In article <i5iv51p1m37nr3h93kpaure63g0hpadrqa@4ax.com>,
Tony M. <adotm@coxdot.net> wrote:
>Yes, it did print on this very computer. We had a tech guy from ADP
>dial in and make some changed for uploading a financial statement
>electronically. After that, the DOS program quit printing. It is
>printing to the LPT1 port, I'll check the spool thing but I don't
>think the ADP guy fooled with that part at all. Also, I'm not getting
>any error messages, it just does like it always did except that
>nothing comes out of the printer! Thanks
>
>On 13 Apr 2005 15:35:52 -0400, adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote:
>
>>In article <1113420583.015791.181570@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
>>james hanley <jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>>Tony M. wrote:
>>>> I have a DOS program (Volkswriter) that will not print in XP. I have
>>>> thousands of documents that we are converting but need to still use
>>>> them in the mean time. When I print, it doesn't list any errors, just
>>>> acts like it prints but nothing comes out of the printer! Any help?
>>>> Thanks.
>>>>
>>>> Tony McDonald
>>>
>>>Maybe the author's of Volkswriter know. MAybe it's a USB thing, in
>>>which case perhaps people in DOS newsgroups will know or google for dos
>>>usb drivers. In the mean time I suggest working around it. Print in
>>>windows 98 or boot to DOS off a boot disk / boot CD. Nero express
>>>(included in nero) has an easy wizard for making a boot cd.
>>>
>>
>>
>>Did this app _ever_ print on a w2k/XP machine ?
>>
>>What error message do you get ?
>>
>>Are you printing right to LPT: or are you trying to print to the
>>spooler?
>


Does the application have a way to print to a disk file ? If you can
then you can print the file from an XP application.

Can anything else print from DOS ?

I assume XP still prints.

ISTR there were ways to redirect DOS LPT output to disk. I don't know
if any of them would work under XP.

If this application is _really_ important you can probably run it under
VMWare or Microsoft Virtual PC.

ADP was always a good outfit. Have you asked them what they did ?


--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
!