Can't Access Windows Update

When I try to access the Windows Update web page, the
computer just hangs. I have to end the program. Also
there is no Automatic Updates tab under 'System" "Control
Panel'.

I downloaded Windows Auto Update, but it wouldn't install.

I am running Windows XP SP2, and IE 6, SP2.

The problem started when I tried to update my Norton
Systemworks Premier 2005, which I have subsequently
uninstalled. Under Norton Systemworks Options it had a
box checked for 'Disable Critical Update Notifications
and system-wide Automatic Updates.' which could not be
unchecked.

Any help will be appreciated.

Go to Control Panel>AdminTools>Services>Automatic Updates>See if it's
disabled. Rt click on it select Properties>Startup Type Automatic or
Manual.