Notebook RAM problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cojaviem

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Hello,

I recently bought a single DDR2 2gb 667Mhz RAM memory on my notebook HP Compaq 6735s (Vista), and after installation everything runs fine, with the exception of instability of the notebook. Randomly, the screen goes black and message 'Beginning dump of physical memory' is displayed. After that, the notebook will restart.
According to HP manual, the computer and RAM should be fully compatible, and I tried both primary and secondary slots, no difference. Maybe the new RAM supports Dual Channel, do i need a second ram to make it work (i have a second one on the way)?

Thanks in advance.

Cojaviem

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
It surely isn't a Pavillion as it was quite old when i bought it (which was almost 3 years ago).

There are 2 numbers on the back:
S/N: CNU9092V10
P/N: GW694AV

Part number and serial number don't help. I specifically asked for series (pavillion, etc) and the model number from the sticker on back.

Can't help you. I'm surprised you were able to find the correct memory if you don't even know what the computer is....or maybe you didn't.

Cojaviem

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Well, the numbers i gave you were the only ones at the only sticker at the back of the computer.

As I can see at the pages i browsed for information, its always reffered to as HP Compaq 6375 Series.
I guess the number you are looking for is the: KS115UT#ABA (I found this right next to my model description in manual)
The original RAM was 1 DIMM, the one i bought is SO-DIMM, perhaps this is the problem here?

Cojaviem

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
This is everything they say:

Original:
HYS64T128020EDC-2.5C2
1GB 2Rx16 PC2-6400-666-12-AO
CT:RASRD95TLYW44Q
SPS:491594-001
(sorry for the useless stuff)

New:
DDR2 667(5) 2GB SO-DIMM

Oh boy, the series should be written on the computer when it's open, somewhere near the keyboard....It has to be a presario or pavillion or omnibook, or something.

He said BOTH. You only listed ONE......

The one you listed is DDR2-800, you bought DDR2-667. If you bought the wrong speed, you probably bought the wrong voltage too.

Your going to have to get ram that's the same speed and voltage of the old ram. If your running them together, you'll need a stick that's the same timings, speed, and voltage.

You may also need the same density, meaning if the old ram has chips only on one side, then possibly you need one sided ram and two sided ram won't work, which is precisely why you need to know the exact series and model.

If you figure that out, you can go to crucial.com and use the memory finder tool to find the correct ram for your notebook, however I can't do that because I don't know the series, the only 6700 series that comes up is SDRAM, not DDR2.

If your running them together, you'll need a stick that's the same timings, speed, and voltage.

Cojaviem

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
The only thing written on the pc (next to the keyboard, just as you say) is 6735s, the only words written next to the number were either Compaq or Business.

I did not try to use both original and new ram at the same time.

I listed information from both sides of the original ram, the new one only has one sticker.

The original ram has 1.8 voltage, don't know about the new one since I found no valuable information on manufacturers web, and the packaging of the new ram says nothing.

Original is CL6, new ram is CL5 (I guess). Computer should be able to run ram sticks with different timings right?
Another option is the wrong voltage but once the pc ran with the new ram without any problems for about 2 or 3 hours, it only started dumping when i turned it off (I don't see how it could ran at all if it had improper voltage).

There you go, see you can do it!! Finally got an answer from you.....BUSINESS!!!

It's a HP-COMPAQ BUSINESS 6735s. WOW, that was nearly impossible information to get from you.

Buy from here, they are guaranteed to work with your machine.
http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Business%20Notebook%206735s&Cat=RAM

You bought 667, according to this your machine only takes 800. You dont NEED two sticks but you'll get better performance that way.

Some info on your laptop:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&lang=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64179&taskId=135&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=3687621

Not sure, but manual on replacing ram indicates only one module is replacable ??? When you look inside is there one or two removable modules.

If you have one module that is not replacable, and one slot to add a second on, then you should match the specs for the "Fixed" module. Speed/Timing (CL rating).

You can down load CPUID CPU-z. when you run it it will have a two tabs at the top that are for memory. Selecting the first tab will shou ram, if runing in single or daul channel mode (Daul channel requires two modules), the "spped and the Timings (CL).

Status
Not open for further replies.